IGNORED

Beckford

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Everton-Jermaine-Beckford-wants-stay-despite-interest-from-Leicester-but-could-be-sold-to-fund-new-signings-article786590.html

From yesterday and the mirror. But why would he want to go? In theory, if we sold him for £4million it may be enough to finance a move for Nicky Maynard at bristol City, rumours are 3-4mill would be enough but City only want to sell to a Prem club. However he is unproven at this level but does look very good in the Championship.

Leicester have apparently made a £3mill bid for West Broms Simon Cox so this might be the new target after being knocked back over Beckford

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle786590.html

From yesterday and the mirror. But why would he want to go? In theory, if we sold him for £4million it may be enough to finance a move for Nicky Maynard at bristol City, rumours are 3-4mill would be enough but City only want to sell to a Prem club. However he is unproven at this level but does look very good in the Championship.

Leicester have apparently made a £3mill bid for West Broms Simon Cox so this might be the new target after being knocked back over Beckford

The mirror guess at everything.

They quote Beckford as starting 38 times.

Beckford is adamant he can succeed in the Premier League and was the Blues’ joint-top scorer last season, albeit with only 10 goals in 38 appearances

He's had 14 league appearances with 8 goals. 2 FA appearances with 1 goal, and 1 League cup appearance with 1 goal, according to Soccerbase stats.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43629

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Everton-Jermaine-Beckford-wants-stay-despite-interest-from-Leicester-but-could-be-sold-to-fund-new-signings-article786590.html#ixzz1VTouc61W

You can quote all these stats as long as you like but they dont tell the full story

Can Beckford lead the line? no

Can he link up play? no

Can he hold the ball up? no

In those 1327 minutes last season did he as much as challenge a centre half? Probably not

His scoring record is admirable, which is why he deserves another go, but he is far from being a top class centre forward and he really does need to kick on this season if he is to have a future at the club

At the moment he is a good weapon to bring off the bench but until his overall game improves I dont think he would be in my starting XI

I think a lot of the problem for Beckford last season was that he simply is not a lone striker but always looked very good when he had a striker up there with him. Leeds fans told us, without fail, that Beckford cannot play up top on his own. If every Leeds fan knew this, why didn't Moyes? He must have scouted him.

Play Beckford with Saha and I feel they'd be a potent partnership. Saha would drop deep, taking a defender with him, leaving Beckford with more room to drag the other defender with his pace and get opportunities to score or create even more space for the likes of Osman to exploit.

I agree with both of these.

He's had 14 league appearances with 8 goals. 2 FA appearances with 1 goal, and 1 League cup appearance with 1 goal, according to Soccerbase stats.

http://www.soccerbas...player_id=43629

Read more: http://www.mirrorfoo...l#ixzz1VTouc61W

If that's his true goal/game ratio--definitely a keeper.

Could we just accept that Beckford isn't really good enough for the Premiership.

It's pretty sad that he came in as a bargain freebie with no Premiership experience, who most didn't rate very highly at all and who wasn't exactly early in his career. And now he's being talked about as the only option, someone that needs more time and who we should be looking at 8million for!!!

He's really not worth more than 3-4million at best and I'd say that would be coming from one of the top Championship clubs.

I'd be very happy with a loan signing of Sturridge though I don't know if he's available let alone if were interested in him or have any chance of getting him. The person that said he's no more proven that Beckford...that's rubbish, he had a good spell at Bolton where he scored just 2 less goals than Beckford in much less games and looked like a quality player. He's young and with Chelsea seemingly not wanting to sell him he will want to prove himself.

I'd be happy with other loan players if that's all we can manage, Santa Cruz will be available, though he seems a bit of a one season wonder he is decent and will be keen to get his career on track again.

If our first choice striker for next season is Beckford alone I'm not going to enjoy watching that's for sure!

Could we just accept that Beckford isn't really good enough for the Premiership.

It's pretty sad that he came in as a bargain freebie with no Premiership experience, who most didn't rate very highly at all and who wasn't exactly early in his career. And now he's being talked about as the only option, someone that needs more time and who we should be looking at 8million for!!!

He's really not worth more than 3-4million at best and I'd say that would be coming from one of the top Championship clubs.

I'd be very happy with a loan signing of Sturridge though I don't know if he's available let alone if were interested in him or have any chance of getting him. The person that said he's no more proven that Beckford...that's rubbish, he had a good spell at Bolton where he scored just 2 less goals than Beckford in much less games and looked like a quality player. He's young and with Chelsea seemingly not wanting to sell him he will want to prove himself.

I'd be happy with other loan players if that's all we can manage, Santa Cruz will be available, though he seems a bit of a one season wonder he is decent and will be keen to get his career on track again.

If our first choice striker for next season is Beckford alone I'm not going to enjoy watching that's for sure!

?

im sorry, but hes not good enough? his first season coming from league 1 and he gets 10 goals, what more do you want? Then Santa Cruz?!?!! Are you kidding?! Becks needs a good supporting striker/ACM and until that happens he will struggle. but saying he is not up to EPL standard is just not close to being true.

Did anyone see the goal against Chelsea!!! I think he is good and given the correct service, IMHO the real problem with our team, he is more than good enough. Also his main problem is being a loan stricker a problem I would say for most centre forwards, when did we play best last season, 442, o give him and the yak a run out together, use the yak as a bully to free up space for becks

Did anyone see the goal against Chelsea!!! I think he is good and given the correct service, IMHO the real problem with our team, he is more than good enough. Also his main problem is being a loan stricker a problem I would say for most centre forwards, when did we play best last season, 442, o give him and the yak a run out together, use the yak as a bully to free up space for becks

Did you not see the 3 or more chances he should have scored? If it weren't for that goal we'd all have been calling for his head after that game, he's done better than i expected yet he hasnt done enough to prove his doubters wrong as he has missed so many scoring opportunities. 10 goals is a great return considering the minutes played, but it should have realistically been a lot more.

Are you taking into account the number of bad touches he had? whilst it was a good goal it was also very lucky.

hes decent, maybe ok at a push, average at best.

wouldnt brag about him to a fan of any other team.

Agree here, if we had a good team I would sell.

very harsh that he had a lot of bad touches in that goal..took it away from a player in his own area and past a couple in his own half then one bounce hit the defender and him but he had the pace to correct that mistake and run onto the ball and it was a smart finish...very very mean on him for that goal...the one against bolton was more impressive for me though..just startin here and had the confidence in the last minute when we were 1-0 down to go for a shot like that..takes balls..he has the right attitude in that he wants to score and shoot and quite often that is our problem..no one wants to shoot

I shake my head sometimes at Everton fans.

Beckford could have gone to many clubs. He WANTED to play for Everton. In the short time on the pitch he scored 10 goals, in a team he has no experience of playing with.

I swear some of our fans are proper snobs. We've been a mediocre team for longer than many of you have been alive, yet some talk like we're Barcelona.

Beckford is a great aquisition so far. He has great pace too. Even if we were to put him on the wing like Donovan, rather than subbing him off, he would be as good as any other option we have.

Wouldn't it be better to judge him at the 'end' of the season, not the start?

yeah - im judging him on THE END of last season.

and as i stated further up - average.

10 goals in the premier league is average for a striker.

If you play 38 games at 90 minutes per game, then you will play 3420 minutes.

Beckford only played 1327 in the Prem and scored 8 goals.

There is no such thing as 'average'.

Beckford playing for club A will score a different ration of goals than if he plays for club B. You can take lots of stats into account to discredit any conversation backed up by the talk of averages.

The simplest way to view it is that Beckford scored a league goal every 165.8 minutes.

Wayne Rooney scored 11 goals in 2225 minutes, making it a goal every 202.2 minutes, and he plays for the best team in the country.

Didier Drogba scored 12 goals in 2791, giving him a ratio of a goal every 232.5 minutes.

Tim Cahill scored 9 league goals in 2016, giving him a goal per 224 minutes.

Beckford played for a team that couldn't buy a goal at the start of the season. How many would he have bagged at United, or Arsenal etc?

You can't properly judge a guy who was subbed on about 18 times. He is far from average, and he was free. A few more like him and we would be quids in.

he scored a good goal against chelsea...I've scored good goals but like Beckford I also miss a majority of chances I get on goal. I've done great things, even a couple of times against defenders that are much better than I am an attacker but I certainly don't have the ability to play at a higher level.

Did you see the control, touch, vision and passing in the game against QPR?

I know the whole team (bar Ross) were poor but it was pretty cringeworthy stuff, the ball just seemed to be bouncing back off him.

Yes I know he scored goals and maybe I'm being a little harsh on him but when you're seeing so many moves break down because of his inabilities and he's missing so many chances you have go consider that someone else could be doing a better job.

I'm not complaining about his price or the fact that we took him on, it was a good deal at the time and gave us an extra striker, at probably resonable wages and for no transfer fee for a player who was known to score a lot of goals, all be it at a lower level.

I just feel if we get the right offer that meets his value then it should be considered.

I think Moyes would consider it as well as he does seem to lack patience in him at times.

avinalaugh - you cant say there is no such thing as average, then say he is far from the thing that you just said doesnt exist!

if there is no such thing as average, what is the space between wayne rooney and stuart barlow called?

of course there is average.

excellent - rooney, drogba, van persie.

rubbish - heskey, jerome, goodwillie

there must be something inbetween. there always is, and in my opinion beckford is not in the excellent bracket, and he is not in the rubbish bracket.

for me, if you score over 15 league goals it good, under 5 its bad, in the middle, average.

hes just in the middle, the is the mean, the medium and the mode, he is the law of averages with a very long neck. but its just my opinion.

maybe by may he will have bagged 25 league goals in which case i will happily tell you he is in the excellent bracket.

Edited by StevO

Rather than judge him on stats I prefer to judge him on the fact that every time I watch him he looks like a championship striker at best and we would do well to get the money being mentioned for him. Its all very well saying his goals per minute stat is better than Rooney, it doesn't mean he is a better player. You could argue his return of 10 in 38 games really isn't that great for a striker. You could also argue that as almost a 3rd of all goals in the premier league are scored in the last 10 mins and most of his appearances came from the bench this would explain why his goals to minutes played ratio is so good. I'm not saying either of these points prove anything just that different stats can be used to back up different arguements. I prefer the method of watching someone play and deciding for yourself whether they are anygood, and in my opinion beckford is crap.

Rather than judge him on stats I prefer to judge him on the fact that every time I watch him he looks like a championship striker at best and we would do well to get the money being mentioned for him. Its all very well saying his goals per minute stat is better than Rooney, it doesn't mean he is a better player. You could argue his return of 10 in 38 games really isn't that great for a striker. You could also argue that as almost a 3rd of all goals in the premier league are scored in the last 10 mins and most of his appearances came from the bench this would explain why his goals to minutes played ratio is so good. I'm not saying either of these points prove anything just that different stats can be used to back up different arguements. I prefer the method of watching someone play and deciding for yourself whether they are anygood, and in my opinion beckford is crap.

You're welcome to your opinion. I'm not going to judge you because it's different than mine, but you do need to realise that he has only played a small role so far, and hasn't had the benefit of a full season in a settled team.

Question to all, regardless of opinion:

If we don't play Beckford who do we play?

Will it be Louis "It's my 6 yard box and I'll walk if I want to" Saha?

Will it be Yakubu "Show me the honey mummy " Aiygbeni?

Will it be Victor "Take your filthy pig hands off me" Anichebe?

Perhaps it will be Tim "Surfs up - I'm off" Cahill who isn't even a striker?

No offence to any of the above, as just a bit of fun, but we're not exactly spoilt for choice.

Beckford will run around where the others won't. He has pace, where the others don't, and he wants to be here and play for our club. He is also only 27 so a decent age too. Our other players are at the end of their careers, with the exception of Anichebe, who I have nothing against, and will often publicly support.

We play a 5 man midfield, which is why most of our goals come from our midfielders. Our game plan isn't to feed a striker, but to have a striker poach. We can't expect lots of goals from a lone striker. We're not a top 4 club playing ole football every week, but a club with the odd flash of brilliance amidst rolled up sleeves performances.

I think we should bench Cahill and play the Yak with Beckford. Tell both to give it everything they have, and then when they haven't got anything left, bring on Cahill.