IGNORED

Ross Barkley

"What [Roberto] Martinez is doing is top class but he might need to add one or two to bolster that squad in January as at the moment he cannot afford an injury to either Phil Jagielka or Sylvain Distin at centre-half."

Because we've only got Stones, Alcaraz, Duffy and (at the moment) Heitinga as cover.....what would we do :major overreaction alert: ?

Don't know if this has been brought up but during his post-match interview that played here in the US he was asked how much practicing FK's in training helped set him up for that goal. To paraphrase, he basically said not at all, that he doesn't really practice FK's.

I love it. Maybe it's largely because he's a naive kid who doesn't know better, but he just stepped up to the ball with confidence and blasted it. Even the Ronaldo's and Messi's of the world can not consistently put FK's from that range into the net despite practicing it religiously for years. And here's a 19 year old kid with no right to placing a ball like that doing so anyway. You don't want the kid going overboard and turning into a douchebag, but a bit of arrogance and cockiness can only help him.

Barkleys skill comes from raw talent, pretty much like Rooney.Ross hasn't practiced free kicks, he doesn't need to.Other players will spend years trying to score a goal like the Swansea free kick, they'll never do it.

Ross isn't thick, he's young and nervous, there's many million hanging on his every word, I can't see many young lads looking forward to the interview, he'd much rather do his talking with his feet.He'll be ok in a couple of months when he's being interviewed for the 10th time.

It will not be long before he surges from his own half and plants the ball in the back of the net, It nearly happened the other night, it will happen soon.

We were lucky enough to find Rooney, who said lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice!

Martinez says Barkley's not for sale, not even for a "Bale-size fee":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2528622/Everton-transfers-Ross-Barkley-not-Rooney-leave-Gareth-Bale-size-fee.html

No one in the media will take any notice, of course, and they'll spend all of January trying to sell him for us, but I believe him. The best quote in the article: "He is a mad Evertonian and enjoying every single second."

Edited by efc1111

I hope he turns around and says "I'm not moving anywhere, why should I, nothing beats playing for Everton" - saying and doing it.

For me the lad can become zidane esque...yep I've said it again. Come on, argue with me! Zidane was one of the greatest... I know that... That's where this lad can be, I said it a long time ago and I know he can.

Reminds me of Totti, but with better vision, strength and smarts (can see why the manages compare him to Ballack).

Do you mean Ballack had better vision than Totti? I don't agree with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vISV4YHskxo

Look at some of these passes. He knows where the ball needs to go before he gets it and then he executes the pass perfectly. I never saw that much from Ballack. And I haven't seen anything like it from Ross either.

I do think that in style Ross is somewhat of a Zidane/Ballack mix. He's got Zidane's effortless dribbling and Ballack's power and endurance. I think he has Ballack's long passing range as well, I seem to remember him showcasing that a lot more a few years ago when he played against Bremen, Villarreal and QPR, than he does no though. I'm sure he'd show it again if he were played in a more withdrawn midfield role.

Do you mean Ballack had better vision than Totti? I don't agree with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vISV4YHskxo

Look at some of these passes. He knows where the ball needs to go before he gets it and then he executes the pass perfectly. I never saw that much from Ballack. And I haven't seen anything like it from Ross either.

I do think that in style Ross is somewhat of a Zidane/Ballack mix. He's got Zidane's effortless dribbling and Ballack's power and endurance. I think he has Ballack's long passing range as well, I seem to remember him showcasing that a lot more a few years ago when he played against Bremen, Villarreal and QPR, than he does no though. I'm sure he'd show it again if he were played in a more withdrawn midfield role.

Just think Ballack was more aware of where all the players on the pitch and could find the pass easier. I think Totti showboats at times and just hopes for the best, some cracking stuff, but didn't find his man enough.

• 2 weeks later...

At this moment in time he should be the first midfielder on the teamsheet. Gerrard is a concern with his injurys, Lampard is past it IMO and is injured. Carrick has been out for long periods of the season and again is an injury concern. Walcott and Townsend are both injured. Wilshire is the most overhyped english prospect there has been and is so average its frightening and has his own injury concerns. Cleverly shouldnt even be a premiership footballer, never mind going to a world cup with england.

I think Barry should definitley get the nod as England are lacking so much in CM and the players available all have injury worries. 3 of them are 32 + (I know Barry isnt a spring chicken but atleast he seems able to stay fit....touch wood)

Just read this again and it sounds like im talking about just Barry....I think Barkley should be first name on the team sheet and Barry should definatley be going as well....just to clarify! :P:lol:

Edited by GoodisonRoad

The injury will not prevent Barkley, who has earned three England caps this season, from travelling with the squad to a warm-weather training camp in Tenerife ahead of next week's trip to West Brom.

Martinez added: "Knowing Ross, being a young man, hopefully with the sun - a bit of vitamin D intake, it will accelerate the healing process."

Don't you just love our manager. Coolest man ever. So positive!

two seasons ago didn't Phil Jagielka break his toe was out for like 2 weeks had some injections on his toe so he could carry on playing. http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/everton-defender-jagielka-will-keep-playing-broken-toe-2200471

Surely if it becomes rather apparent that we really are missing Ross then just maybe he could have something similar done. Although that said I'm not sure Martinez would go to the same measures Moyes did.