IGNORED

Suarez racism against Evra

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive heard that too but thats over the pond, not here.

It wasn't relevant to the 'English' thing, but more that it seems to be widely acceptable in other countries. I think the Internet makes the world a very small place too, and as we all play under Fifa, we can't enforce English standards on things. They need to be separated under what is allowed under the rules of the governing bodies. For me, FIFA needs to make things absolutely clear to all players what is and isn't acceptable. Then, and only then, can all players be in no doubt.

It wasn't relevant to the 'English' thing, but more that it seems to be widely acceptable in other countries. I think the Internet makes the world a very small place too, and as we all play under Fifa, we can't enforce English standards on things. They need to be separated under what is allowed under the rules of the governing bodies. For me, FIFA needs to make things absolutely clear to all players what is and isn't acceptable. Then, and only then, can all players be in no doubt.

But that is the point, he wasnt in any of these other countries, he was in England and here its apparently considered a racist remark. Every FA has its own set of rules and standards too, so although FIFA are in charge (which is scary and laughable) its the FA that hold the power in their respective countries (at least, this is my understanding).

Agree that FIFA should make a clear set of rules if they dont exist already. But this is the organization lead by a man that says players should just shake hands...

But that is the point, he wasnt in any of these other countries, he was in England and here its apparently considered a racist remark. Every FA has its own set of rules and standards too, so although FIFA are in charge (which is scary and laughable) its the FA that hold the power in their respective countries (at least, this is my understanding).

Agree that FIFA should make a clear set of rules if they dont exist already. But this is the organization lead by a man that says players should just shake hands...

I did clarify the sentence you highlighted, but it's not important.

As long as there are players moving between different countries, there will always be problems. Suarez didn't make the comments in a restaurant or supermarket. He made them to another player on a football pitch.

Whilst on a football pitch, that pitch should be seen as neutral territory. English laws can't come into it, or at least shouldn't. If a side from Tunisia come to Goodison, are they to all adhere to English law, and learn the do's and do nots of our society before they get off the plane? It's a bit drastic.

The pitch should remain immune to the laws of any land. The only law that should exist on the pitch, is one set out by the governing bodies. That way, all teams that compete on the pitch know exactly where they stand.

You can argue that Suarez lives here. He may well do, but he is not an English citizen, and as such can just as easily be deported. Racist or not, he should have a clear set of rules that he 'must' adhere to, regardless of country, and that can only come from FIFA. Otherwise, if Evra goes to Uraguay in the World Cup, will it be ok for fans or players to call him Negrito, just because he is in Uraguay?

We can't impose our culture onto other cultures. The only neutral ground, where everybody can be themselves, yet still live in harmony, is to have a separate body that they all must live under, and that body must surely be FIFA.

IO hope I've explained my point well. It's not always easy.

The way I see it is that the money that enters his bank account is the English pound, he is paid by an English football club - he obeys the laws of the land or he can go wherever it is that allows him to refer to someone by the colour of their skin whilst having an altercation.

Whilst Liverpool F.C are at it, they can simply choose to not particpate in the most advanced, diverse, and exciting league in the world if the laws that be punish racially offensive language.

My best mate is a detective and a Liverpool fan - the way in which Suarez behaved is an offence if the person on the reciving end was aggrieved. That is the law.

As for Police talk, it is a requirement to identify a person as clearly and as accurately as possible i.e. Black youths, white youths.

Talking to someone who has the name on the back of their shirt, or not using "mate", "friend", "amigo" and insted using their skin colour is an offence.

Quite interesting point that AV, and one to which I partly subscribe.... however.

It's legal bollox.

In fact, football is legal bollox and a LOT of the game would fail legal scrutiny if anybody actually bothered to challenge it.

Football is not above the law of any land. It may impose additional restrictions, but not reduce them.

I've travelled the world as part of my job (admittedly not as much as a top international footballer would), but I'm subject to the laws of each land. Not knowing them is 'no excuse'. Of course, MOST nations will probably overlook a minor transgression and subject you to a warning since the paperwork is a pain and you're a tourist, but generally, you're subject to the law like the rest of the natives.

This is why FIFA CAN say to other countries "it may be legal in your country to say 'negro', but it's against our rules".

They can't say "it's illegal in the UK to use that word in a provocative manner, but allowed on the pitch".

I do like the notion of the pitch being a 'universal land' where all rules are the same. But it's not.

Edited by BlueSky

Quite interesting point that AV, and one to which I partly subscribe.... however.

It's legal bollox.

In fact, football is legal bollox and a LOT of the game would fail legal scrutiny if anybody actually bothered to challenge it.

Football is not above the law of any land. It may impose additional restrictions, but not reduce them.

I've travelled the world as part of my job (admittedly not as much as a top international footballer would), but I'm subject to the laws of each land. Not knowing them is 'no excuse'. Of course, MOST nations will probably overlook a minor transgression and subject you to a warning since the paperwork is a pain and you're a tourist, but generally, you're subject to the law like the rest of the natives.

This is why FIFA CAN say to other countries "it may be legal in your country to say 'negro', but it's against our rules".

They can't say "it's illegal in the UK to use that word in a provocative manner, but allowed on the pitch".

It would be better if it was a point blank directive, right across the sport. For all we know, there may actually be such rules, but if there isn't, it might be worth reviewing the situation.

Diplomatic immunity isn't what I'm getting at, but if you are in an airport, on the duty free side, are you under English law, or European law?

The problem with the law, and FIFA regulations is that they deliberately avoid being highly specific.

If a law says "the words negro, blackie, pig" are banned, then there is an implication that all other words ARE allowed.

If a law says "words likely to be considered offensive" then it covers more options and is more flexible, but then lays the door open for interpretation.

If you're in an airport, duty free side, you're subject to UK law (assuming UK airport!). Even a foreign embassy is subject to the laws of the country in which it is located (contrary to popular myth and confusion with the Vienna Convention (which affords a level of diplomatic immunity for some embassy workers in some situations, and a level of agreement that the hosting nation won't enter the premises).

Racism lurks in every corner, openly and in the most secretive manner. It even lurks in each of us, to some extent. How we choose to counter it is the measure of us, not how we choose to deny it.

I know many will object to the suggestion that there's a racist in us all, but it's there.... just like there's a killer in us all.

Humans can be primal, hence why you see tribalism, racism, theft, murder, violence, promiscuous behaviour etc etc

We have a code that we all need to live by or else everything becomes out of control - standards and laws need to be set and adhered to - simple as that.

Humans can be primal, hence why you see tribalism, racism, theft, murder, violence, promiscuous behaviour etc etc

We have a code that we all need to live by or else everything becomes out of control - standards and laws need to be set and adhered to - simple as that.

Lets put the fecker in a big pot with some sprouts, and dashing of turnip. Bagsie the thigh. laugh.png

canibal_final.jpg

probably because they are paying one of them thousands of pounds every week so don't have much choice, it wold cost millions to cancel Suarez contract

still double standards though.... Plus, if it is only about the money is that not setting an even worse example? Edited by Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I think his ban should be equal to Scott Parker's jersey seeing as that is who he kicked!

Suarez is nothing short of a bellend and I can't understand how anyone would like him, he's a dirty player who only goes out onto the football field to injure others and has been proven as a racist, it's a wonder why he's even allowed to play in our league still given what he has done since signing for the Reds.

The sooner some fucker like Joey Barton breaks his legs the better so that he has to go back to Uraguay and play in his local supermarkets Sunday League team.