IGNORED

Is it time for Moyes to go?

Is it time for Moyes to go?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Moyes be sacked

• Yes
    • No
    • Sat on the fence

But its the same recycled shit we get every year, 'we've started badly' 'we'll pick up in January'. Well the season is half over in January. And as I've stated before, we have lost points to the big teams, yes we've had a bad start, but we r points down already on the teams that are going for a European place cause they've beaten us, where as last year we beat them! Now if we had started well last season who knows where we would have ended up, but my guess is pretty high, and defiantly in Europe. As a team that's got to be a priority!

No body is kidding themselves that we are gonna crack the top 4 regularly, but we have had a taste of Europe recently and Moyes has to be applauded for that, but in all fairness the year we got into the champions league we did it on 61 points, now averagely it takes 65 points to get fifth! So you've got to admit some of that was down to other teams being shit that season. So when you see Moyes replacing Neville with a defender when 2-1 down against a team we are/should be competing against for a European spot, you can see why people are getting upset with his tactics.

Would you have targeted the Newcastle match as game where we could get a least a point before the season started. I would have, and I have with the next few games, but I'm starting to worry for most of our games to come.

If we go one nil down to sunderland (which does seem to be happening) are we gonna come back and go for the win. And that is what most peoples worries are at the moment with Moyes and his tactics.

We start badly because our engine only goes from 0-60 in 25 seconds, while the better teams drive V8 muscle cars. We often catch a few up because our mechanic is better, in turn making our engine more reliable.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We start badly because our engine only goes from 0-60 in 25 seconds, while the better teams drive V8 muscle cars. We often catch a few up because our mechanic is better, in turn making our engine more reliable.

:) I genuinely hope your right, and that our engine hasn't got a blown head gasket!!

all these car analogies are driving me round the bend, getting really tyred of them, wheely wheely tired to the point where my mind is going to brake. If you guys dont quit youre getting the boot! Im going to wrench myself away from this before I go too far, having to RAC my brains for the last few puns.....

tongue.png

Edited by Matt

all these car analogies are driving me round the bend, getting really tyred of them, wheely wheely tired to the point where my mind is going to brake. If you guys dont quit youre getting the boot! Im going to wrench myself away from this before I go too far, having to RAC my brains for the last few puns.....

tongue.png

:(;)

Bailey, moan all you want to mate, but this is a forum, and those that don't agree with you will let you know.

Why should those of us who don't like it have to shut up and say nothing?

I consider this slightly ironic. While I dont agree with your opinion, I have no problems with hearing it (even if we are both appearing quite repetitive by now) because as you say this is a forum. However dont basically say everyone should be positive and have a pop at people who arent, and then make comments like the one above for saying that people should be able to say what they like! Beggers belief!

Moyes is dealing with 'millions' of pounds of investment, and the hearts of many. He's not running a paper shop.

He has to make decisions based on what he feels best for the club, not the fans. It would be very easy to play different players, and take risks, but if those risks don't come off, the club get relegated.

Long gone are the days when Everton were a leading force in football, if in fact we've ever been. Now, we are 'just another club' in a very competitive league. Many of our fans are unable to grasp this, and instead have elevated our status in their own minds far too high.

Why is playing in the Premiership not good enough for people? You get to watch all the other clubs week in week out, and have a fair crack every week of beating them. To think we can compete against the best teams in the world is simply crazy.

We finished 7th last year.

Is that not a great finish for a club like ours with no money? Some clubs were relegated, and now have to watch Championship clubs every week instead.

Was that not an exceptional result from Moyes considering all the facts?

If we survive this season, and get to play in the Premiership again next season, is that not yet another exceptional result from Moyes?

Something that i dont think you quite grasp, especially from my point of view, is that its not purely about the winning or necessarily the performance. I want to see the 11 guys that have the privielege of wearing that Everton shirt perform like it actually means something to them. Thats pretty much all I ask. With the quality we still have in the squad, if all 11 respect what it means to play for this club, put in the effort required and armed with some basic tactics, we will give any team a run for their money. Its pretty much all Newcastle have done all season. They have showed togetherness and a will to win for the club, combined with an increasing pool of quality.

While I see where you are coming from with the last two points, I would look at this in a different way. Would it not be a huge failing if a squad with the quality of the players available ended up in and around the relegation zone? I certainly think it would.

We just seem bereft of any real leadership at present. Nobody who drives us forward and picks us up, this is a criticism of the players as much as the manager

Moyes seems to have reverted to hope something turns up tactics - insofar as we dont make changes to the way we play regardless of opposition or match situations. Money would be nice but if Moyes was handed £50million in the transfer window do you reckon we would be playing attacking football with 2 up top by February?

I'm just unsure at the moment and it could be the whole atmosphere surrounding the club being very negative. A few wins could turn it round but I am very worried about the future

This

I ask myself the question, if we were to get some investment, who would be the manager I would want at the helm. For all Moyes's failings, it would still be him. I honestly can't see who we could get in, in our present condition, who would do a better job; at best we would be swapping like for like, but with the inconvenience and distruption that accompanies a change of manager.

I believe Moyes will leave Everton within the next few seasons unless we get that much talked about investment. What happens after that, is not something I particularly feeling excited or confident about.

I do agree with what you are saying here and there is certainly that fear of the unknown.

Has anyone noticed that he is permanently full of excuses and observations recently? anything from referees, clubs sepnding more than us, confidence etc etc.

One observation I would like for him to make is that his tactics and subs have been costing us dearly, the team do not seem fit - they play in patches and the tempo is way off. We do not break, we get forward, push the ball out wide allowing the opponents to get back and mark up, then our final ball from the likes of coleman, hibbert, osman is shocking more often than not.

By the way I do hope he scolded fellaini for his pathetic yellow card which made him miss the newcastle game, stupidity.

This. I really do think he needs to take a step back and look at how we are playing. Everton teams of old have been hard to beat, but for most of this season we look like we are ready to keel over.

Whole Post...

While I do appreciate what your trying to say, bar Fellaini and Rodwell, have any of our players shown a level of consistency that they have shown in previous seasons? Not really close in some cases. Howard is undroppable by the looks of things, Hibbert still has big positional issues defensively BUT he has shown a much better level of form than Neville and deservedly starts, Jagielka, Distin & Heitinga have all made errors this season, with Distin being strongest, but to blame the goal against Newcastle purely on Heitinga is a joke and the Utd goal was poor from the whole back 4 including Hibbert & Baines. Baines himself is having his worst season for a while, mainly as he is failing to get forward with the same consistency as he has in previous seasons, Osman's form has been up & down as he is moved from position to position and the less said about bily the better. Coleman, Saha and Cahill have also been all over the shop in a form context. All of these players are good enough and have shown in glimpses this season that they are still up to the task, but why havent they been able to show any sustained level of performance? Thats the big question, which ultimately falls on the managers head.

Ok so we may be only one point worse than this time last season, but the games coming up are the ones we struggled in last season. Hopefully we go on and put in performances good enough to beat them this time round but I dont see it. Teams dont just go on winning streaks by playing crap football weak in weak out. Their form will gradually pick up, even if they arent winning, and then win a few on the bounce. I really dont think we have that in us at the moment and I am genuinly worried that if we continue this form into the next few games then we will be in a real relegation battle. I dont think thats jumping on a band wagon etc etc, its a genuine fear that the club that I am proud to support isnt performing to its potential, or even anywhere near it.

Tbh I am fed with having to come out with the same old crap every year but you would think that eventually a penny would drop somewhere. Is this the 3rd or 4th season we have now been in the relegation area at this time of year? How many times has it got to happen before something changes? One season there wont be a second half revival, I just hope it isnt this season.

I consider this slightly ironic. While I dont agree with your opinion, I have no problems with hearing it (even if we are both appearing quite repetitive by now) because as you say this is a forum. However dont basically say everyone should be positive and have a pop at people who arent, and then make comments like the one above for saying that people should be able to say what they like! Beggers belief!

Something that i dont think you quite grasp, especially from my point of view, is that its not purely about the winning or necessarily the performance. I want to see the 11 guys that have the privielege of wearing that Everton shirt perform like it actually means something to them. Thats pretty much all I ask. With the quality we still have in the squad, if all 11 respect what it means to play for this club, put in the effort required and armed with some basic tactics, we will give any team a run for their money. Its pretty much all Newcastle have done all season. They have showed togetherness and a will to win for the club, combined with an increasing pool of quality.

While I see where you are coming from with the last two points, I would look at this in a different way. Would it not be a huge failing if a squad with the quality of the players available ended up in and around the relegation zone? I certainly think it would.

Bailey, I'm just going to agree to disagree with you in this thread mate.

I'm not going to fall out with folk over a debate about whether Moyes is up to the job. We all see things in different ways.

Every thread on a forum is different. We agree on loads of stuff, and disagree on loads of stuff. All part of the fun mate. As long as lads express themselves respectfully I'm always a fan of debate. The only time I ever shake my head is when folk can't debate without getting personal, or arguing. That's when it all falls to pieces.

Disagree away.

Good leaders lead from the front and pick the troops up from the floor when they think they can do no more, what the team needs from Moyes more than anything else is belief. Belief that the manager can turn the corner, inspire his players into playing for themselves even if they can't be arsed to play for each other. For goodness sake David please install some self belief, the players need it, the club needs it, and I need it.

Bailey, I'm just going to agree to disagree with you in this thread mate.

I'm not going to fall out with folk over a debate about whether Moyes is up to the job. We all see things in different ways.

Every thread on a forum is different. We agree on loads of stuff, and disagree on loads of stuff. All part of the fun mate. As long as lads express themselves respectfully I'm always a fan of debate. The only time I ever shake my head is when folk can't debate without getting personal, or arguing. That's when it all falls to pieces.

Disagree away.

Fair enough fella, thats what its all about! cool.png

Iv actually just read some of Moyes' comments, I dont know if they are after the game or the following day, but to cut a long story short he basically says we werent good enough against Newcastle and we havent been good enough this season up front or at the back. While this may seem bleedingly obvious to most people, I actually see it as a step forward. I hope over the next 10-14 days (or however long it is until our next game) Moyes takes the opportunity to put some things right. It seems he might actually know what is wrong, so hopefully he can come up with some solutions.

On the fence, but hey, if we win the next game, Im in the "no" category, and if we lose, I'll still be on the fence. He's been good all the years, so it's hard for me to say he should be sacked. I'll get back to you at the end of the season. Budget or no budget, I think this team still has a lot of talent and should be finishing in the top ten given that we don't have a rough spell of injuries. I don't like the way the tactics have been lately.... but I'm not on the inside so it's hard for me to be a "monday-morning" coach.

There seem to be more no's than yes's to this.

For those who did vote yes I assume they have someone in mind to replace him. So please let me in on it, Who is willing to come here with no money to spend and is a better manager than David Moyes? I can't think of anyone. Of couse you could ask SAF to come here but in fairness that would be awkward without a transfer budget. Mourhino maybe, but again what will he have to spend?

Not being nasty, as I can understand those who feel it is time for DM to go. BUT get real guys.

There seem to be more no's than yes's to this.

For those who did vote yes I assume they have someone in mind to replace him. So please let me in on it, Who is willing to come here with no money to spend and is a better manager than David Moyes? I can't think of anyone. Of couse you could ask SAF to come here but in fairness that would be awkward without a transfer budget. Mourhino maybe, but again what will he have to spend?

Not being nasty, as I can understand those who feel it is time for DM to go. BUT get real guys.

Mine is a yes if he doesn't evolve, we always hoped he would, he shows very little to indicate that.

I would never just go for any johnny come latelys but Lanbert and Rodgers have an extremely bright future in the game and play some great stuff.

Mine is a yes if he doesn't evolve, we always hoped he would, he shows very little to indicate that.

I would never just go for any johnny come latelys but Lanbert and Rodgers have an extremely bright future in the game and play some great stuff.

agreed, im sick to death of these people who think David Moyes is the only manager in world football who can manage EFC, load of shite it is, there are plenty of managers out there who would love the chance to manage such a team

Owen Coyle would have been a good choice 6 months ago but look at him now, good job he didn't replace Moyes isnt it. dry.png

i still think he would be tbh Bill, he has had a rocky few months i agree, but DM has had that before, and even now he has it, i really think Lambert is the next up and coming manager, he really has something about him

I still really rate Coyle. Yeah they lost quite a few games but when you have start with a 4-0 win, then play the top four on the bounce that can have a big impact. Its not like Bolton are a high flyer, they are a scrappy little club and Coyle has them playing well. Ask Stoke.

Big fan of both Rodgers and Lambert.

I am still very much on the fence. I'd rather Moyes stay, but shake it up a bit. Be a bit more flexible. Ten years of the same formation, I just dont get it. He needs to evolve. Ferguson manages to evelove his team and formation every few years.

And hard work and commitment from the players should just be standard.

I still really rate Coyle. Yeah they lost quite a few games but when you have start with a 4-0 win, then play the top four on the bounce that can have a big impact. Its not like Bolton are a high flyer, they are a scrappy little club and Coyle has them playing well. Ask Stoke.

Big fan of both Rodgers and Lambert.

I am still very much on the fence. I'd rather Moyes stay, but shake it up a bit. Be a bit more flexible. Ten years of the same formation, I just dont get it. He needs to evolve. Ferguson manages to evelove his team and formation every few years.

And hard work and commitment from the players should just be standard.

they had an interesting disscusion on the radio last night about Moyes, saying much the same thing tbh, basically saying if he ever wants to progress to something like the Man U job then he needs to learn to be a bit more progressive with his mentality

i have to say i did vote "yes" but only because i dont think he has it in him to change, tbh i think we should wait and see what happens over the next 5-6 games, other than the arsenal game, we can win the other games, or at least get points, if its still the same situation after that, then i do think its time up for Davie

Edited by theprisoner

I was thinking about who could conceivably replace Moyes. I dont think Lambert or Rodgers would want the job, they must be happy with how things are going at their respective clubs. Coyle is talented and might be interested. Dave Jones always does a good job and likes to attack and is well versed in bargain hunting. Ian Holloway is a manager I cant help but admire, has done well at Blackpool with limited resources although I thought he was somewhat naive tactically at times last season.

Paul Tisdale has done a great job at Exeter. Lee Clark of Huddersfield Town has his side playing attacking football and difficult to break down.

but lets be honest pris, he has the safest job in football. a good wage and we cant afford to pay him off. he can not be sacked.

does that not show you how bad Kenwright has done then? where we are in a position that we cant sack our manager no matter how bad he does?

Edited by theprisoner

Whilst fans will accept:

1. a few morale boosting victories here and there, mixed with poor performances with no direction, pace or purpose ensuring we survive to face another year,

2 a summer of eery silence from the club where moyes is mentioned to be having to sell Fellaini, Baines, Rodwell, Barkley, Jags etc

3. davie will drag in a couple of last minute loan signings with the potential of Donovan in the winter

4. moyes youth policy of playing potential superstars out of position till they lose confidence, as he wont play anyone through the middle unless they have in excess of 100 everton appearances

then moyes has a job for life.

Whilst fans will accept:

1. a few morale boosting victories here and there, mixed with poor performances with no direction, pace or purpose ensuring we survive to face another year,

2 a summer of eery silence from the club where moyes is mentioned to be having to sell Fellaini, Baines, Rodwell, Barkley, Jags etc

3. davie will drag in a couple of last minute loan signings with the potential of Donovan in the winter

4. moyes youth policy of playing potential superstars out of position till they lose confidence, as he wont play anyone through the middle unless they have in excess of 100 everton appearances

then moyes has a job for life.

I'm sorry but if we had investment like Sunderland, Villa, Stoke et al, and Moyes was allowed another 20mil to spend, I think Moyes could still quite easily get us to Europe. It's like i said before, we may be playing bad football, but who else is going to want to manage a club with massive expectations and absolutely fuck all cash to spend?? If there is a manager who can get us to European football bar Moyes then what's his number? Let's give him a call.

1. No-one at Everton, be it the fans, managers or players, would settle for this, and season after season we finish in the top ten, usually unlucky to get to Europe by one way or another. You could blame a poor start to this, but every team has poor runs and good runs in a season. We have ours at the start, which to be honest I'm fine with, because when we start playing well we don't normally stop until the end of the season. Granted like every Evertonian I want us to start well but we haven't again and saying Moyes is to blame for that is ridiculous.

2. That's the situation we know we have to deal with UNTIL we get investment. It is only very close-minded people that think we're not going to get it at some point, and until then if we did have to lose these players we know it wouldn't be for nothing, we'd get a good deal or we wouldn't sell.

3. I don't see much wrong with getting what we needed in, be it the last minute or the first. Stracqualursi I haven't seen anything of but I'm guessing he's either not yet fit enough for the Premier League or he's crap, either way we got another striker. Drenthe has the potential to be a great winger. he still has problems with his game but it's his first time in England and I can forgive it because he is prone to moments of brilliance. Nothing wrong with that signing if you ask me. Donovan? Well maybe we look at him through rose-tinted specs but he is a very good player, and moreover, a morale boost as the fans and players loved having him last time. It may all be on the basis of getting whatever we can lay our hands, but at least Moyes has proved he can grab players from off the map and pin them on it. Vellios being another player under the radar of many, bought for cheap, but who looks like a strong CF. Moyes has always done well at unearthing or capturing players for little money who turn out to be gold (Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar all 2mil, Jags, Lescott, Baines etc etc) There's only been a handful of transfers where he's naused it up, but nothing is ever concrete in football and other clubs have paid big money for players that flop. Fellaini, our most expensive transfer, looks to be our best player. Is he really that bad in the market?

4. His tactics are always arguable. And in no way am I defending all of his daft subs and negative formations, but with Barkley you've got to think there is an air of the Rooney transfer around him, would you take 27mil for him, or would you rather he stay and be a great player for us? I'd want the latter, but all the same Ross should learn to play in whatever position necessary. Ryan Giggs, throughout his United career, has played every position bar goalkeeper. Here it is expected among the players that they have to play where they are needed, and for whatever reason Davey has for dropping him, be it confidence or form, he had reasons to play him on the wide. In fact, remember the Weder Bremen game, where Coleman and Barkley were playing down the right? I seem to remember Barkley cutting in, dancing through 4 players and laying the ball off to Coleman. He is a brilliant young player, but I trust moyes to handle the situation as I'm sure as soon as he puts in one eye-catching performance the wolves will be scratching at the door. I'm happy not to have to rely on him just yet, as there are plenty of players who should be shouldering the responsibility for our shit performances.

We do need a leader on the pitch, which I don't think jags is. However, like I said earlier, we always have a crap start. I don't know why, neither does anyone else, but there is quality in our squad. Expectations of both the manager and players have to be lowered, we're not the team we were 3 years ago unfortunately and until we get a few more players and a bit more competition, we just have to show our support and know that our boys can turn this around. It's distressing, frustrating, disappointing and sometimes depressing, but I knew that, 17 years ago, when my dad looked upset and asked him why; "Unfortunately son, I'm an Everton fan, so you'll just have to get used to it" My old man has been a fan since the 70's, he still screams when we're winning and has a go at the manager, the players, the ref and anyone else involved if we lose. It's a hard life being an Evertonian, but to say that anyone else can do better for us than Moyes, with no money and every fan crying out for European football, is asking for the world, and everything in it. Moyes may not be the manager to give Everton the future we all know we deserve, but he certainly can't be bettered to carry us through the present. It's only my view though, it's not Gospel, but I think Moyes gets the lion share of the criticism without thought as to if it's him we should really blame.

Edited by The Regulator

My biggest gripe with Moyes is for most part the tactical side of his game, I know most managers can make odd decisions but some of the substitutions and line up's we have seen get to me, He's far to negative most of the time.

I wouldn't get shut of him though He has undoubtedly done a good job for most part of his time here given what little He's had at his diposal.

A time will come when He moves on but I really can't see that being under Kenwright, If He was to go and we didnt' have investment I'd love to see Bilic here.

but lets be honest pris, he has the safest job in football. a good wage and we cant afford to pay him off. he can not be sacked.

Safest job in football ?

Are we using this expression too often?

Moyes is in good standing because he has done his job remarkably well. So well, in fact, that his peers rate him as one of the very best in the business.

Our club are traditionally loyal to managers, if you look at our history, despite not having one in the early years. This wouldn't stop a manager from getting sacked though, should he be unable to manage the squad, and managing the squad comes in many forms, of which only David Moyes can enlighten us with, not me.

His job is 'safe' as some say, because he is proving to the board year after year that he is the best man for the job, and not, because we can't afford to get rid of him, as somebody said. Those who are against him are ignorant to the positives he brings, often because their expectations are unrealistic, and analysis of his on field performance lacking in understanding, not to mention real life facts and information, that only the back room staff have.

At the end of the day, unless you are in the business of football, then you are 'not' in the business of football, and any opinion outside of that business will normally be an uneducated one accompanied by inexperience.

Of course we can kid ourselves that we know better, but do we?

Given the rather shambolic mismanagement of football club finances across the board, one would have a very strong case for saying "yes, we DO know better".

Can somebody explain to me how credible boards of football clubs are unable to manage their finances with any degree of success?

I put it to you that FIFA, UEFA and the FA are an out of touch, corrupt (in some instances) arrogant cliques who repeatedly make awful decisions.

I put it to you that the boards of leading football clubs are filled with ego centric lunatics who, for a variety of reasons, 'invest' in clubs and do so unsuccessfully.

I put it to you, that 'passionate' benefactors of clubs let their hearts rule with their head, overspend, overexpect, and underperform.

I put it to you, that the fan on the street can see the writing on the wall long before the upper echelons of clubs can.

Yes, we often DO know better. Just figuring which of us, and when is the tricky bit.

Edited by BlueSky