IGNORED

Twitter Transfer Rumours

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickford has been consistent staying away from injury but what happens if he does get an injury. If you have a shite back up it has an effect on the whole defence as they just don’t trust the keeper. I’ve seen it so many times with gerrard,Wright etc. I want a decent back up keeper but some shite hawk 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Me too. Why bother replacing shite with shite? Either keep the shite you’ve already got or improve it. 

Exactly. I don’t think Stek has done much wrong. He knows he’s not first choice, I don’t think he rocks the boat and he has a lot of experience that might help the younger lads. Not worth wasting the money for me. 

4 hours ago, c1982 said:

He’s been pretty consistent for an awful Huddersfield team over the past 2 seasons - although he made that high profile blunder a few weeks ago. I think he’s an upgrade on Stek and will be decent competition.

Nope. He won’t challenge Pickford in the slightest. 

Honestly, we all know that no one who comes in will challenge him.

We can’t buy the keeper from Liverpool, United, Real, Barca, City or PSG and there aren’t that many who are better than Pickford. 

Competition was probably the wrong word to use but I’d sooner have Lossl who has been decent (imo) and playing consistently at this level over the past 2 seasons to deputise should Pickford be injured/suspended than Stekelenburg, who I don’t rate, or Virginia, who needs a year or 2 on-loan playing competitively every week. Realistically, we’re not going to sign another top class keeper so we can hopefully develop Virginia - he’d be better off playing every week in a competitive Championship setting rather than for our u23s and sitting on our bench in my opinion.

Had a look on a Huddersfield forum where the general opinion was that he is around about the level to play as a back up for an established premier league team, but also questioned why he would want to do that when he could be playing championship football week in week out as a starter.

I'd imagine we would be paying him more on the bench than Huddersfield would as a starter, so it's a money move for him really.

Other than that I don't know much about him or his ability as I haven't watched much Huddersfield at all this season.

21 minutes ago, Makis said:

He's 30 so he knows he has reached his ceiling. Now it's about collecting a retirement fund basically. He won't be playing for a club that wins trophies, Everton is about the best bet at that as well, even if it's in the bench.

Nice work if u can get it 

Rob Green  is 39 and third choice at Chelsea. Back up keepers aren't really there as back up, they're main role is to support the main keeper in training and share their experience. Very rarely does a club have two keepers pushing for a spot and if the main one you injured you'd be looking to buy or loan a better one than your 'back up'. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Rob Green  is 39 and third choice at Chelsea. Back up keepers aren't really there as back up, they're main role is to support the main keeper in training and share their experience. Very rarely does a club have two keepers pushing for a spot and if the main one you injured you'd be looking to buy or loan a better one than your 'back up'. 

Spot on, some people on here think we are Barca or something, should have a 20m backup keeper on the bench.  Laughable.

43 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Spot on, some people on here think we are Barca or something, should have a 20m backup keeper on the bench.  Laughable.

Nope, just don’t see why you’d replace shite (Stek) with someone equally as shite when you don’t need to. If he was better than Stek then I’d be all for it, but he’s a clown. 

52 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Nope, just don’t see why you’d replace shite (Stek) with someone equally as shite when you don’t need to. If he was better than Stek then I’d be all for it, but he’s a clown. 

Maybe he’s cheaper wage wise?

Goalkeepers can have injuries too. Anyone old enough to remember southall getting injured? Bobby mimms for fucks sake? U have to think of the worst case scenario. Certain people go on like they want the best etc and in the same breath are saying that are happy signing some turd who will give NO COMPETITION at all for Pickford 

5 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Goalkeepers can have injuries too. Anyone old enough to remember southall getting injured? Bobby mimms for fucks sake? U have to think of the worst case scenario. Certain people go on like they want the best etc and in the same breath are saying that are happy signing some turd who will give NO COMPETITION at all for Pickford 

Can you think of anyone who would offer him any competition that would sign for us to sit on the bench? 

For me, any keeper good enough to challenge Pickford will already be a first choice keeper somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Of course we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, this might mean that Pickford is off somewhere for £60m.~~ we just don't know.

The fact we’re going after a turd says that’s not the case. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Maybe he’s cheaper wage wise?

Even if that was the reality it’s negligible. And we’ll be paying for Stek as well, so I don’t see your point. 

Not even the top 6 have good backups.  Willy caballero?  Michel vorm!!! Mignolet, Sergio Romero, Claudio bravo, etc  none are good enough to challenge their 1st keeper, most are older and collecting a check and are an insurance policy against injury.

barca with ter Stegen and cilleson and Real Madrid with navas and courteous the only ones with actual competition.  We aren’t close to that level.

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The fact we’re going after a turd says that’s not the case. 

Even if that was the reality it’s negligible. And we’ll be paying for Stek as well, so I don’t see your point. 

I know mate, it’s the only reason I could think of! This lad also has more recent game time, and had plenty of practice having such a poor defence in front of him, so might be less rusty? I know I’m clutching at straws here :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...