IGNORED

Sunderland (Home) FA Cup 6th round

MikeO

I thought he was decent today.

Reminds me of Shearer, obviously not as good but seems a similar player, a proper number 9. I'd rather have him stay central though as he makes space for Cahill, but Moyes seems to like his strikers drifting to the wings

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it too early to say that I don't think Jelavic is good enough ?

Are you mad? I thought he was one of the best players on the pitch. He won lots of headers, his control was great, as was his link-up play, and he chased everything. Other than get a goal he couldn't have done anything more today. I feel more confident about him being a great player for us with each passing game.

Guest blueboy122

Dissapointing is an understatment. One thing was apperent from todays performance we are totally clueless when we are in possesion. There is not one player that has any forward thinking attacking minded play when it is in the midfeild and the ones that do just seem to lose the ball and run into people. The game always seems to pass our midfeild by none of them seem to make an impression on the game, this has been the same story all season. Rodwell Gibson, Osman etc they all just watch the game go by. Fellani is a class act and that is obvious, am sure if we were doing well he would be getting most of the plaudets as in his position he looks sheer quality but the rest of the midfeild are just non existent. I couldnt keep up with the amount of times we just lumped it long and hoped for flick ons, knocks ons, lucky bounces etc. I was screaming from the mainstand try something different how many times is it going to come back. Feel sorry for Jelly as he thought he gave a good account of himself today held the ball up well when he had to, layed it off well etc but fuck me when is moyes/the players going to realise that we wont score goals by constantly pumping it long, we have had 4 quality finishers at the club recently, Yakubu, Saha, Beckford, Johnson who have all been deemed "shit,useless" etc but at the moment we would make Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Drogba, Henry etc look shit. Our midfeild needs to get a grip on the game and try something different, I cant remember a time when we have been looking to play our forwards through on goal, i.e giving them a chance to score. Fowards need chances to score and we just dont create at all full stop. I could rant on for hours like we all could however on my last note, I full expect us to go out of the cup now due to Sunderland having home advantage and there better most influential players back. However I will be travelling upto the north east anyway, when do tickets go on sale?

Dissapointing is an understatment. One thing was apperent from todays performance we are totally clueless when we are in possesion. There is not one player that has any forward thinking attacking minded play when it is in the midfeild and the ones that do just seem to lose the ball and run into people. The game always seems to pass our midfeild by none of them seem to make an impression on the game, this has been the same story all season. Rodwell Gibson, Osman etc they all just watch the game go by. Fellani is a class act and that is obvious, am sure if we were doing well he would be getting most of the plaudets as in his position he looks sheer quality but the rest of the midfeild are just non existent. I couldnt keep up with the amount of times we just lumped it long and hoped for flick ons, knocks ons, lucky bounces etc. I was screaming from the mainstand try something different how many times is it going to come back. Feel sorry for Jelly as he thought he gave a good account of himself today held the ball up well when he had to, layed it off well etc but fuck me when is moyes/the players going to realise that we wont score goals by constantly pumping it long, we have had 4 quality finishers at the club recently, Yakubu, Saha, Beckford, Johnson who have all been deemed "shit,useless" etc but at the moment we would make Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Drogba, Henry etc look shit. Our midfeild needs to get a grip on the game and try something different, I cant remember a time when we have been looking to play our forwards through on goal, i.e giving them a chance to score. Fowards need chances to score and we just dont create at all full stop. I could rant on for hours like we all could however on my last note, I full expect us to go out of the cup now due to Sunderland having home advantage and there better most influential players back. However I will be travelling upto the north east anyway, when do tickets go on sale?

I said during the transfer window that we should have looked to strengthen midfield, whilst im pleased we signed Jelavic, we did'nt create chances for the strikers we had. the answer maybe Barkley, we don't know because we never see him, but we certainly need someone in the middle who can pass it about, and create chance's, Osman can, but he is way too inconsistent imo, Rodwell i don't think can do that job, nor can Gibson, it's a position that needs attention imo.

Can't believe somebody said Jelavic looks poor. The lad has hardly played and is nowhere near up to speed and probably wont be till next season when he gets a proper pre season under his belt. His knockdowns were superb and intelligent, he has two good feet and works hard across the back four. Unfortunately for him he didnt get any proper service, can anybody tell me the last time when we opened a defence up with a splitting pass? Probably against Villa away and Landon has gone now!! I just think Cahill who isnt the most creative anyway doesnt get in support of the main striker anymore like he is supposed to playing that position and seems Felli occupys more of the forward spaces. If it was me i would give Barkley that spot in the creative role in the areas he can influence the game obviously Davey wont or will in last two games of season crying.gif

We just looked ordinary, coleman is short of fitness and confidence and Drenthe got on my fuckin tits all game. I felt sorry for Felli who worked himself into the ground with little support. How can it be that we miss Pianeer so much after all this time? how come davey hasnt come up with an alternative? In the replay Hibbert has to play for me cos that Irish kid will murder us down our right side, i'd play Ossie down the right instead of seamus who was poor today and Rodders in the centre to give us a bit more height in the boxes

Are you mad? I thought he was one of the best players on the pitch. He won lots of headers, his control was great, as was his link-up play, and he chased everything. Other than get a goal he couldn't have done anything more today. I feel more confident about him being a great player for us with each passing game.

with Mark on this. I was not happy when we signed him but hes showing signs of being a very good signing. Give him the rest of the season to get up to speed and hopefully come into his own next season.

We did and we didn't if that makes sense? we had decent possession but didnt get behind them and put crosses in where it hurts we put a lot of Unsworth balls into the box hoping to pick up the scraps. We look a different team when Peanuts isnt playin. Totally predictable with no plan B. Thats where Davey really falls short for me, how he can justify putting Mcfadden on the bench instead of Barkley is beyond me.

Guest blueboy122

Agree with all the statments above especially Trev within regrads to the game and Mcfadden. Also Prisoner about creative midfeilder, I cant remember our last centre midfeilder who had that creative spark and looked for the killer pass.... maybe Tommy Grav? He is probably the closest in the last 10 years to be fair. Its not like we have an attacking assest such as, Swansea who have a lot of place and great attacking wingers, West Brom, they have great football and can carve teams open at times, Blackburn there midfeilders such as Dunn etc are always looking to play balls in to the forwards, I am not for one minute suggesting David Dunn is a good player, I am just suggesting that he is always trying to get Blackburn moving and at least trying to make chances for the forwards. We just seem to lack any attacking threat, I ask myselfs all these questions Blackburn can do this, Swansea are good at doing this, West Brom are great with this etc. Everton..... Hmm what are we good at?

I actually think we played well. Sunderland have been in good form and we completely outplayed them. Admittedly, they were poor yesterday, but we didn't get anything off the officials. We could have had penalties, we hit the woodwork, Mignolet made some really good saves.

Sunderland surprised me with how well trained they were in all the dirty tricks - diving, fouls off the ball, general thuggishness. Forgetting the derby and the expectation that generated for yesterday's game, I thought there were lots of positives to take and I still think we can beat them at their place, just as long as we keep Sessegnon quiet.

Howard - did what he had to do, no chance for their goal, no spectacular saves.

Neville - best game I've seen him have in ages. He wasn't excellent but he didn't stick out like a sore thumb with his hoof balls, although they weren't entirely absent from his performance either. He seemed to get forward and support Coleman quite well and got stuck in.

Heitinga - quiet but solid game, as usual. A rock at the back, and was unlucky with that late chance, what a header it was too! I just love watching a player who shows so much emotion and passion on the pitch, without losing any composure.

Distin - looked ten times the player he did in the derby. Obviously much more comfortable alongside Heitinga, and understandably so. I do feel though that, given his immense stature, he should provide a much greater threat from set pieces and he had a decent chance in the goalmouth first half where I thought he should have at least hit the target.

Baines - a much more confident performance than we've seen most the season. Looks like he's coming into some good form. His set piece delivery was better, and his cross for our goal was as good as any. With Jelavic and Cahill (if he maintains his performance from today) to aim at in the middle now, I think we'll see him racking up the assists again.

Fellaini - good performance, no major errors, some vital challenges won around the edge of our area, but like Distin, it frustrates me that he doesn't offer more aerial threat from free kicks and corners. I was happy that he had a bit more urgency about him today than he sometimes shows. That goes for the whole team though.

Osman - had a quiet game, struggles to make an impact but I think he was targetted by some of their thug midfielders. He still showed his class though - excellent ball in for Heitinga for that late chance.

Coleman - worked hard, got into some decent positions, but his end product was poor. There was one where he got a bit lucky beating two defenders and broke into the box but he snatched at it and it wasted an opportunity for us. Could do with building up some confidence and composure again. Drifted in and out of the game at times as well.

Drenthe - apart from the free kick which hit the bar, very disappointing performance, he looked wound up for the whole match and it was summed up by his stupid argument with the linesman when the ball was still in play. He was unlucky though, and I can understand his frustration. The referee missed 3 fouls on him within the first 10/15 minutes of the match. I still think we need to be starting him as often as possible though because he offers something different.

Cahill - best performance I've seen from him in a while. Took his goal well and got into some really threatening positions. Hit one straight at the keeper which he could have done better with I think, and he dropped into midfield late on, think he was struggling to see out the 90. However, he and Jelavic worked well together today.

Jelavic - taking into account it's his second start, he's probably not match fit, he got fouled off the ball and kicked in the head several times, he won't have settled into the team fully, and he won't be fully used to the English game yet, I think he played well. He got himself into some good positions and seems to have a real striker's instinct. Worked hard and showed good touches, but I think he could still be trying a bit too hard to make himself a hero. When he followed up Mignolet's save from Heitinga, Fellaini was in a great position just beside him and with a bit more composure he might have decided to pull it back and it could have won us the game. So far, so good though.

Gueye - looked alright, put a couple of decent balls into the box, and put a couple towards the corner flag, but he had a go, fair play to him.

Stracqualursi - Didn't really have time to impact the game. Nice beard though:

http://badatsports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/300-sparta.jpg

I actually think we played well. Sunderland have been in good form and we completely outplayed them. Admittedly, they were poor yesterday, but we didn't get anything off the officials. We could have had penalties, we hit the woodwork, Mignolet made some really good saves.

Sunderland surprised me with how well trained they were in all the dirty tricks - diving, fouls off the ball, general thuggishness. Forgetting the derby and the expectation that generated for yesterday's game, I thought there were lots of positives to take and I still think we can beat them at their place, just as long as we keep Sessegnon quiet.

Howard - did what he had to do, no chance for their goal, no spectacular saves.

Neville - best game I've seen him have in ages. He wasn't excellent but he didn't stick out like a sore thumb with his hoof balls, although they weren't entirely absent from his performance either. He seemed to get forward and support Coleman quite well and got stuck in.

Heitinga - quiet but solid game, as usual. A rock at the back, and was unlucky with that late chance, what a header it was too! I just love watching a player who shows so much emotion and passion on the pitch, without losing any composure.

Distin - looked ten times the player he did in the derby. Obviously much more comfortable alongside Heitinga, and understandably so. I do feel though that, given his immense stature, he should provide a much greater threat from set pieces and he had a decent chance in the goalmouth first half where I thought he should have at least hit the target.

Baines - a much more confident performance than we've seen most the season. Looks like he's coming into some good form. His set piece delivery was better, and his cross for our goal was as good as any. With Jelavic and Cahill (if he maintains his performance from today) to aim at in the middle now, I think we'll see him racking up the assists again.

Fellaini - good performance, no major errors, some vital challenges won around the edge of our area, but like Distin, it frustrates me that he doesn't offer more aerial threat from free kicks and corners. I was happy that he had a bit more urgency about him today than he sometimes shows. That goes for the whole team though.

Osman - had a quiet game, struggles to make an impact but I think he was targetted by some of their thug midfielders. He still showed his class though - excellent ball in for Heitinga for that late chance.

Coleman - worked hard, got into some decent positions, but his end product was poor. There was one where he got a bit lucky beating two defenders and broke into the box but he snatched at it and it wasted an opportunity for us. Could do with building up some confidence and composure again. Drifted in and out of the game at times as well.

Drenthe - apart from the free kick which hit the bar, very disappointing performance, he looked wound up for the whole match and it was summed up by his stupid argument with the linesman when the ball was still in play. He was unlucky though, and I can understand his frustration. The referee missed 3 fouls on him within the first 10/15 minutes of the match. I still think we need to be starting him as often as possible though because he offers something different.

Cahill - best performance I've seen from him in a while. Took his goal well and got into some really threatening positions. Hit one straight at the keeper which he could have done better with I think, and he dropped into midfield late on, think he was struggling to see out the 90. However, he and Jelavic worked well together today.

Jelavic - taking into account it's his second start, he's probably not match fit, he got fouled off the ball and kicked in the head several times, he won't have settled into the team fully, and he won't be fully used to the English game yet, I think he played well. He got himself into some good positions and seems to have a real striker's instinct. Worked hard and showed good touches, but I think he could still be trying a bit too hard to make himself a hero. When he followed up Mignolet's save from Heitinga, Fellaini was in a great position just beside him and with a bit more composure he might have decided to pull it back and it could have won us the game. So far, so good though.

Gueye - looked alright, put a couple of decent balls into the box, and put a couple towards the corner flag, but he had a go, fair play to him.

Stracqualursi - Didn't really have time to impact the game. Nice beard though:

http://badatsports.c.../300-sparta.jpg

Some good point in there, we must remember Sunderland are pretty much on form, they did seem to get quite a bit of help from the ref and their goal was a hit and hope.Sure that wasn't a great Everton performance, but if we had played as well as we could and the ref hadn't been an arse we would be in the last 4.Time to cut the players and Moyes some slack, we have a new striker still settling in, I'd say he's looking like he can do a job for us.

The replay will be very hard, but I don't see any reason why we can't beat them.

Drenthe - apart from the free kick which hit the bar, very disappointing performance, he looked wound up for the whole match and it was summed up by his stupid argument with the linesman when the ball was still in play. He was unlucky though, and I can understand his frustration. The referee missed 3 fouls on him within the first 10/15 minutes of the match

What game did u watch neville was no differant backing off everytime down the wing and gave mclean the easiest game he's had in ages and to say drenthe had a bad game did you go because thats some way of the truth we had no attacking threat without him

we played a bit more football than usual but they out passed us for the majority of the game and we only started to look good when they sat off hoping for a draw

We do get our fair share of inept, incompetent match officials and yesterday was no different, maybe on another day and with some other guy in charge we could be in the semi-finals now and there's still the small matter of a replay but even so, with home advantage over opposition that are no world beaters, and some high hopes after the shit of the Derby fixture, all said it was a bit of a letdown. I really did believe that despite the horror show of Anfield, there would be a marked improvement and players and manager would maybe give something back and with it a quarter final success, but that did not come to pass. It's hard not to feel a bit disappointed

It'd be interesting to see how we can do against them without a weakened team.....the two games we've lost to them we've been playing with an arm tied behind our backs thanks to Atkinson and Moyes.

It'd be a hell of an occasion and the players won't (shouldn't) need any motivation.

I've seen several Mersey derbies at Wembley and, believe me, you want to be there.

(I'd rather it was the final though)

If we beat Liverpool at Wembley then we will win the cup. In fact, whoever wins this tie will win the cup IMO, it would give either side a massive boost and would give them that extra boost to allow them to take home the cup.

Already nervous..

Good, this time with the right motivation we will be able to smash them all over the park, thing is I think we might bottle it. Dunc should be in there to motivate the lads into taking no backwards step.

I would like it if we could make this happen.

Somebody needs to remind the players how it feels for every single Everton fan losing to Liverpool in the fashion we did in midweek. Moyes is clearly not the man to do this.

Worst possible draw. I don't want to think about how sick I'd feel losing to them at Wembley, for the third time this season. Almost hope we bottle it at the Stadium of Light :/

I wouldn't worry about it mate, we haven't got a hope in hell's chance of beating sunderland. It'll be the usual moyes display that we've come to accept in the big games. For some reason the players are never up for it when they need to be the most....this week has been a perfect example.

Edited by Eddie_1938

Lets beat Sunderland first, it'll be a night game with a big atmosphere. Everybody is expecting Sunderland to win so in a little way the pressure will be off. They are a physical team who are a big danger from set peices. Gotta say watching Coleman struggle these days going forward he seems to have lost half a yard or is it just me? I'd play him at right back from now on or i would play hibbo from the replay. For me Mcclean had the beating of nev every time and hibbo would get closer and dog him. We are due a big result and i think maybe people are getting carried away by Sunderland they arent that good to be fair. If we get through against the shite i think its fair to say they are the worst out the three we could have got with regards to ability. Gerrard and Suarez are the only top quality players out of the outfield players who are guarenteed a shirt.