IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Guest blueboy122

Bar the one cock up Soton have dominated. Luckypool hung on in the first half. Sturridge is a ghost or my stream isn't full screen as I've only spotted him twice.

That's the thing about quality finishers he can be invisible for the 89 minutes and then given half a chance bang it's 2-0 and Liverpool will then just see out the game.

Edited by blueboy122

He was the best player in the world for me at one stage, absolutely devastating. People forget how good he was. He lost a yard of pace and that ability to beat a defender over 5 yardsm

I don't think it's to do with his ability changing. He plays better now than what he did away from Anfield when he was with Liverpool.

Isn't the League Cup final today. Can't be impartial as I want Manchester City to win.

There's been talk of a repeat of sunderland's 1973 final surprise over Leeds United by way of a big upset this afternoon but can't see it coming to pass. Mind you a lesser recognized club side often wins it these days so all things are possible.

It was.

Right result for us if you think playing in the Europa is a good thing, wrong if you don't. I'm pleased (that sixth is a Europe place, not that City won the cup).

Spotted this on Twitter and thought it was you at first. Madness that people don't want to be in it, especially with the added bonus of Champs League if you win it next year.

I'm genuinely shocked by Evertonians not wanting us to get into the Europa League ! Really can't understand it , it's about club development

Guest blueboy122

He was the best player in the world for me at one stage, absolutely devastating. People forget how good he was. He lost a yard of pace and that ability to beat a defender over 5 yardsm

Got to agree Haf.

He was unplayable at times. He oozed quality at Liverpool.

In my opinion he is better than Suarez on Liverpool form.

It was.

Right result for us if you think playing in the Europa is a good thing, wrong if you don't. I'm pleased (that sixth is a Europe place, not that City won the cup).

So Sunderland don't get the place by default if/when City qualify for Champions League?

What happens if a Champions League qualifier wins the FA Cup? Does the Europa then go down to 7th?

Mirallas started (as Hazard was rested) and played 63 minutes for Belgium against Cote d'Ivoir. Lukaku came on off the bench after 74 minutes. Fellaini scored, game ended 2-2. Total borefest otherwise. Only Dries Mertens played really well and I think he's probably earning the other starting spot on the wing opposite to Hazard in Brazil.

Good win last night for Wales. Iceland a decent opposition as well. One of those countries who will be there and there abouts come qualifying and will give anyone a game. Was at the game and I must admit Bale was unbelievable. I think he's improved so much the last 2 years. I would even go as far as to say he is unplayable if he's fit and well. Simple for Wales for the forthcoming campaign, if Bale plays well, we qualify. No one can handle him if he's on form. Add to that the likes of Ramsey and Williams, Allen, Davies, Taylor and Jonathan Williams then there's no reason why we shouldn't qualify.

Guest Nikica

I didn't see the game but good win for Scotland last night, albeit a friendly. Hopefully this gives us the impetus to go on from here and perhaps casts some doubts in Polish minds come the competitive games.

Good win last night for Wales. Iceland a decent opposition as well. One of those countries who will be there and there abouts come qualifying and will give anyone a game. Was at the game and I must admit Bale was unbelievable. I think he's improved so much the last 2 years. I would even go as far as to say he is unplayable if he's fit and well. Simple for Wales for the forthcoming campaign, if Bale plays well, we qualify. No one can handle him if he's on form. Add to that the likes of Ramsey and Williams, Allen, Davies, Taylor and Jonathan Williams then there's no reason why we shouldn't qualify.

How was Emyr Huws last night? Thought he played well, one for the future. Nice to see Johny Williams get on as well.

How was Emyr Huws last night? Thought he played well, one for the future. Nice to see Johny Williams get on as well.

Played well. Very comfortable on the ball. One for the future for sure. Yeah I really rate Williams. Incredibly quick feet and a very intelligent player. Hoping he does well at Ipswich during his loan spell. Looking good I must admit.

Barcelona had 75% possession in their game against Real Valladolid today. In that time they mustered up 13 attempts at goal with 6 of those being on target, or 1 attempt at goal every 7 minutes, approximately, with 1 attempt on target every 15 minutes, approximately. They lost the game 1-0.

In a recent game, which they won 1-0, they had 82% possession with 8 attempts on goal in that time, 3 of which were on target.

Zzzzzzzz.................... Greatest team we've ever seen, they are!

Guest Nikica

Barcelona had 75% possession in their game against Real Valladolid today. In that time they mustered up 13 attempts at goal with 6 of those being on target, or 1 attempt at goal every 7 minutes, approximately, with 1 attempt on target every 15 minutes, approximately. They lost the game 1-0.

In a recent game, which they won 1-0, they had 82% possession with 8 attempts on goal in that time, 3 of which were on target.

Zzzzzzzz.................... Greatest team we've ever seen, they are!

This post might come across as somewhat snarky but I'm simply repeating the tone of your own post...

Football isn't about peppering constant shots on goal or constant forward play. The subtle manner Barcelona play in is a delight for those who appreciate patient probing football which looks to exploit gaps. It is of the highest standard both technically and tactically. It is also an evolution of Michels's total football so I'd say it's pretty entertaining, yes.

This Barca team has noticeably declined from what they were. It is unrecognisable from the 2011 team (which was the best club team since Sacchi's Milan) so mentioning their current issues has zero bearing on anything, as nobody is claiming this team (a shadow of what it was) is the greatest ever. However, despite their decline, they still managed to beat the best team in the PL by two clear goals on their own patch, without getting out of first gear.

I see a lot of people call Barcelona boring and it baffles me. It's the typical British attitude to football which leads to clowns who force play (Gerrard) being rated as better than Xavi (lol). Would you prefer they played a Hollywood ball to a member of the opposition and hence conceded possession? How would they construct moves if they did that? I mean why do you think that keeping the ball and passing it is boring? That's how you construct moves - through great team play and link-up. When I play football I love playing that way. Despite the fact that I started as a pacey dribbler, I have evolved and now nothing gives me more pleasure than linking up well with team-mates or playing a gorgeous through ball to one of them. That 'patience is shite' attitude to football was mine when I was 19...beautiful play can happen without it leading to shots. In fact, many teams have far more shots than Barca because they brainlessly shoot from everywhere when there are better options (yes, I am looking at you C Ronaldo). Are you saying that makes them more entertaining than Barca? Your post implies that Barca are boring because they don't shoot enough.

A 1-1 can be far more entertaining than a 4-4 so goals scored doesn't always matter. The 0-0 deep into extra time between Germany and Italy in the 2006 WC is one of the best games of the last ten years, for example.

You should probably ask your manager what he thinks of Barcelona, seeing as he's desperate to get you playing like them. I like you as a poster but it saddens me that some football fans can't appreciate Barca. No wonder British football is in the state it is in.

I have a lot of admiration for how Barcelona played football during the Guardiola era so will always defend them from detractors who (for some bewildering reason) do not give them their due. I'd love to hear the list of teams who you think have played better football over the last 6 years or so.

A lot of your post is a straw man anyway as anyone who's watched Barca regularly knows that they can play direct high-tempo football when it suits them. There are lots of different ways to play beautiful football: Dortmund's fast transitions and high-pressing (a trait they share with Barca's previous team), strong defending such as that of Inter in 2k10 (not the muck Chelsea served up two years later), and Barca themselves. If you throw away your preconceived notions of what football should look like you might look back and appreciate what Barca brought to the table.

Sorry if you take offence to this post but I really don't know how any football fan didn't enjoy watching Barca 2008-2011. They were fucking sensational to watch and made their peers look like pub teams (the British thought Man United would beat them easily in Rome, then we saw that Barca were far superior and British football pundits were wrong, as usual). They were so far ahead it was embarrassing for the rest of Europe, and generally the only way to beat them over two legs was to put in an incredible defensive performance (Inter in 2010). Definitely the best team I've seen post 1992. It was a pleasure to see and it depresses me that it isn't still happening. This Bayern team are brilliant but I'd back Barca of 2011 against them every time.

Download the full game of the night they destroyed Real Madrid 5-0 from youtube, then tell me that team was boring. That's just one of plenty of examples.

Edit: to reiterate, I do think you're a good guy Cake, and would even say this to my loved ones if they slagged off Barca. It's nothing personal so don't take it that way.

Edited by Nikica

Man city/Wigan versus arsenal and hull versus Sheffield in the semis. I think man city will take it all.

Still now? Two down V Wigan and twenty five minutes left.

Seems to me like Wigan nicked our hex on them as well as the result last season.....our name was on the cup and we misread the script.

Edited by MikeO
Me and my mouth....City immediately score!

This post might come across as somewhat snarky but I'm simply repeating the tone of your own post...

Football isn't about peppering constant shots on goal or constant forward play. The subtle manner Barcelona play in is a delight for those who appreciate patient probing football which looks to exploit gaps. It is of the highest standard both technically and tactically. It is also an evolution of Michels's total football so I'd say it's pretty entertaining, yes.

This Barca team has noticeably declined from what they were. It is unrecognisable from the 2011 team (which was the best club team since Sacchi's Milan) so mentioning their current issues has zero bearing on anything, as nobody is claiming this team (a shadow of what it was) is the greatest ever. However, despite their decline, they still managed to beat the best team in the PL by two clear goals on their own patch, without getting out of first gear.

I see a lot of people call Barcelona boring and it baffles me. It's the typical British attitude to football which leads to clowns who force play (Gerrard) being rated as better than Xavi (lol). Would you prefer they played a Hollywood ball to a member of the opposition and hence conceded possession? How would they construct moves if they did that? I mean why do you think that keeping the ball and passing it is boring? That's how you construct moves - through great team play and link-up. When I play football I love playing that way. Despite the fact that I started as a pacey dribbler, I have evolved and now nothing gives me more pleasure than linking up well with team-mates or playing a gorgeous through ball to one of them. That 'patience is shite' attitude to football was mine when I was 19...beautiful play can happen without it leading to shots. In fact, many teams have far more shots than Barca because they brainlessly shoot from everywhere when there are better options (yes, I am looking at you C Ronaldo). Are you saying that makes them more entertaining than Barca? Your post implies that Barca are boring because they don't shoot enough.

A 1-1 can be far more entertaining than a 4-4 so goals scored doesn't always matter. The 0-0 deep into extra time between Germany and Italy in the 2006 WC is one of the best games of the last ten years, for example.

You should probably ask your manager what he thinks of Barcelona, seeing as he's desperate to get you playing like them. I like you as a poster but it saddens me that some football fans can't appreciate Barca. No wonder British football is in the state it is in.

I have a lot of admiration for how Barcelona played football during the Guardiola era so will always defend them from detractors who (for some bewildering reason) do not give them their due. I'd love to hear the list of teams who you think have played better football over the last 6 years or so.

A lot of your post is a straw man anyway as anyone who's watched Barca regularly knows that they can play direct high-tempo football when it suits them. There are lots of different ways to play beautiful football: Dortmund's fast transitions and high-pressing (a trait they share with Barca's previous team), strong defending such as that of Inter in 2k10 (not the muck Chelsea served up two years later), and Barca themselves. If you throw away your preconceived notions of what football should look like you might look back and appreciate what Barca brought to the table.

Sorry if you take offence to this post but I really don't know how any football fan didn't enjoy watching Barca 2008-2011. They were fucking sensational to watch and made their peers look like pub teams (the British thought Man United would beat them easily in Rome, then we saw that Barca were far superior and British football pundits were wrong, as usual). They were so far ahead it was embarrassing for the rest of Europe, and generally the only way to beat them over two legs was to put in an incredible defensive performance (Inter in 2010). Definitely the best team I've seen post 1992. It was a pleasure to see and it depresses me that it isn't still happening. This Bayern team are brilliant but I'd back Barca of 2011 against them every time.

Download the full game of the night they destroyed Real Madrid 5-0 from youtube, then tell me that team was boring. That's just one of plenty of examples.

Edit: to reiterate, I do think you're a good guy Cake, and would even say this to my loved ones if they slagged off Barca. It's nothing personal so don't take it that way.

No offence taken and I'm sure there are times when they've blown teams away. Even Everton have done that. When it works, they look good. When it doesn't, they are boring. The inference, mainly by a toadying media, that they are constantly unstoppable and the football they play is so far out there is wrong as at times it's not and when its not they are boring and very ordinary.

If Everton had possession of the ball for almost 70 of the 90 minutes and had 8 attempts at goal after passing it 5 yards to each other in cute little triangles or diamonds, whichever you prefer, and lost 1-0 they would get told the same. I appreciate 'attractive' football. I appreciate exciting, high tempo football. I've been fortunate to watch a lot of both, and also been bored shitless too in the 45 years I've been watching Everton and football, ingeneral. Being told constantly you are wonderful or that you must aspire to the same level of wonder has no place in any sport as when you fall flat on your arse, as you surely will, you (this is a metaphoric you, by the way) don't have a clue how to deal with it and start looking for excuses rather than reasons. You need to know equally as much when you're boring and ineffective as you need to know when you walk on water.

I did think about making personal accusations about you and your family, when I first read your reply, or of excusing my outrageous comments with still being hung over after a four day bender, although I'm through the worst of it now, but all I can tell you is I make sure it's none of my business what anyone thinks of me, mate, so no harm done as I said. Words on a page, same as mine.

Still now? Two down V Wigan and twenty five minutes left.

Seems to me like Wigan nicked our hex on them as well as the result last season.....our name was on the cup and we misread the script.

you're right, wigan won. man city played terrible the first half but dominated the majority of the second half. props to wigan, they had great defending and counter attacked really well. dzeko had 3 chances that he mis-hit in front of goal. really great match that, was very enjoyable as a neutral.

well this is going to be a real interesting semi final now. league one, championship, mid table prem and big boy prem teams. what a spread!

Edited by markjazzbassist