IGNORED

Jack Butland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21258729

He has declined Chelsea talks but I just don't see us going for him at all. He is a good player he showed that in the Olympics. I just don't think Moyes will drop Howard and put Butland in nets instead. I would love to see him here but like everyone says Liverpool need a keeper as Reina has been shite most season, Brad Jones is even more awful. The only good game he had was against us in the FA cup semi.

The guy is 19 years old.

If he joins us, he will have the opportunity to train under Howard, and our coaches, in the knowledge that Howards days are slowing down, and withing a year or 2 he will have the goalkeeping job at one of the top sides in the Premier League if he is good enough.

There are only 20 jobs, and some of those already have top class keepers employed, so it's all about youth being patient, and making the correct career move.

Thought I'd give a list of the Premier League goalkeepers for you all so we can have an accurate guess at where he is going to go;

I've put their age in brackets too.

Arsenal: Wojciech Szczesny (22).

Aston Villa: Shay Given (36), Brad Guzan (28).

Chelsea: Petr Cech (30), Thibaut Courtois (20).

Everton: Tim Howard (33), Jan Mucha (30).

Fulham: Mark Schwarzer (40), Csaba Somogyi (27), Neil Etheridge (22).

Liverpool: Pepe Reina (30), Brad Jones (30).

Manchester City: Joe Hart (25), Costel Pantilimon (25).

Manchester United: David De Gea (22), Anders Lindegaard (28).

Newcastle United: Tim Krul (24).

Norwich City: John Ruddy (26), Mark Bunn (28).

QPR: Julio Cesar (33), Robert Green (33).

Reading: Adam Federici (27).

Southampton: Artur Boruc (32).

Stoke City: Asmir Begovic (25).

Sunderland: Simon Mignolet (24).

Swansea City: Michel Vorm (29).

Tottenham Hotspur: Hugo Lloris (26), Brad Freidel (41).

West Brom: Ben Foster (29).

West Ham: Jussi Jääskeläinen (39).

Wigan Athletic: Ali Al-Habsi (31).

Guest blueboy122

Dont understand the fact that we obviously really wanted him and were prepared to pay up to £6million in the summer for him but now all of a sudden we arent when he is going for nearly half the price?

I havent seen him play to be honest, is he better than Howard at the moment?

I havent seen him play to be honest, is he better than Howard at the moment?

He was quite good in the Olympics and he's been doing well for Birmingham. He's Joe Hart 2.0 if you ask me but I'm not kicking off that we haven't signed him in this window, he may well flop at Premiership level and I'd rather have someone who has experiance.

• 2 years later...
Guest rusty747

We are currently 9th in the league. If we had won at Bournemouth we would have been 6th. We can blame Martinez tactics, poor substitutions all we like but that is to ignore the elephant in the room.

The next stage of Everton's progress to become genuine top four challengers is to strengthen the defence. That means a top quality 'keeper. Not just because of what he can do betwwen the sticks himself but because of his command of the back four and the confidence that gives the back four. Howard has been ok for Everton, never stellar, but ok. I have nothing against him as such but the time has come for him to step down. Robles doesn't have that air of authority to inspire confidence. Butland does. If you consider it is over a million pounds per league position now, Butland could well prove to have paid for himself in 2 or 3 seasons.

We need to dig deep in January, pay whatever it takes and chase a Europa league place. Top four has already gone.

Edited by rusty747