IGNORED

Jack Butland

Need fresh blood in goal. Howard's been a great servant but it t's time to part ways. Whether Roberto thinks this way is another thing.

for me any good memories are being raplaced by an overwhelming sense that he is an arrogant man who thinks he is a figurehead of the club.

How dare he suggest that the fans "criticisms mean nothing" one week and then suggest those very fans are to blame for the last minute goal that he may have done better with.

On your bike Tim.

It may be that we need to sell some players to get yarmolenko and a decent keeper like Butland.

For me Mirallas and Naismith may be the two based on their appearances this season.

Damn haf we are on the same wavelength lately. Spot on: both those 2 could bring us 20m combined which would offset yarmolenko and then we'd have to use the standard kitty on the keeper. Still think Robles needs a proper run out, could be a solid keeper. No worse than Howard.

Damn haf we are on the same wavelength lately. Spot on: both those 2 could bring us 20m combined which would offset yarmolenko and then we'd have to use the standard kitty on the keeper. Still think Robles needs a proper run out, could be a solid keeper. No worse than Howard.

I don't particularly want to lose two valuable players - and they are. The reality is that we can not continue with Howard in goal. Goalkeeping aside I think he has been at the club too long and it shows in his interviews.

Good keepers are a rarity - I would like to see Robles succeed, I just don't know if he is up to the job, I would certainly play him ahead of Howard though.

Guest rusty747

I would play Robles against Middlesbro.and tell him that this is his opportunity to become first choice 'keeper in the league. I am happy to give him a chance and I don't think he is any worse than Tim. But to be frank, we won't win anything with either of them in goal imho. We need Butland and we need him asap.

We are currently 9th in the league. If we had won at Bournemouth we would have been 6th. We can blame Martinez tactics, poor substitutions all we like but that is to ignore the elephant in the room.

The next stage of Everton's progress to become genuine top four challengers is to strengthen the defence. That means a top quality 'keeper. Not just because of what he can do betwwen the sticks himself but because of his command of the back four and the confidence that gives the back four. Howard has been ok for Everton, never stellar, but ok. I have nothing against him as such but the time has come for him to step down. Robles doesn't have that air of authority to inspire confidence. Butland does. If you consider it is over a million pounds per league position now, Butland could well prove to have paid for himself in 2 or 3 seasons.

We need to dig deep in January, pay whatever it takes and chase a Europa league place. Top four has already gone.

Top 4 is no way gone. This is the closest league ever in which no team is an easy beat. Yes we should have won, but we arnt losing a lot either. Turns draws into wins, get on a good 3/4 game winning streak and we are there or there abouts.

Also, I thought Howard had one of his better games, sadly it's still not enough, the cross he came for and got no where near is just evidence of why our defence is shaky.

Top 4 is no way gone. This is the closest league ever in which no team is an easy beat. Yes we should have won, but we arnt losing a lot either. Turns draws into wins, get on a good 3/4 game winning streak and we are there or there abouts.

Also, I thought Howard had one of his better games, sadly it's still not enough, the cross he came for and got no where near is just evidence of why our defence is shaky.

+1

Guest rusty747

Statistically, top four has gone I am sad to say. After 13 games, no team in PL history has made up more than a 5 point gap between themselves and fourth position. We are therefore going to have to break records to achieve fourth and we are not good enough or consistent enough to do that.

Statistically, top four has gone I am sad to say. After 13 games, no team in PL history has made up more than a 5 point gap between themselves and fourth position. We are therefore going to have to break records to achieve fourth and we are not good enough or consistent enough to do that.

14 games gone from 38... There's plenty of time for a good run to push us up.

Guest rusty747

I agree that we can go on a good run but I do not now expect any better than fifth or sixrth. I think we should prioritise the cups, buy Butland, sort out our lack of killer instinct and game management and rip the league up next season.

I think that theory behind that is skewed by Leicester's position. They will inevitably drop down the table, which effectively puts us just four points off the "real" top four.

If I was a Leicester fan my aim at the moment would still be forty points, then see what they can do. They'll finish top half but behind us imo.

We ain't getting butland. We are not going to spend that kind of dough on a keeper. We should have got him and Redmond when the brummies were selling for £2.5 a pop. I still can't understand that. A new keeper is a must though. We get dembelle from Fulham, yarmelenko and maybe the kid Bentley at Southend. Looks a real prospect

I think that theory behind that is skewed by Leicester's position. They will inevitably drop down the table, which effectively puts us just four points off the "real" top four.

If I was a Leicester fan my aim at the moment would still be forty points, then see what they can do. They'll finish top half but behind us imo.

I dunno mate - Leicester has some serious shit goin' on - I think they are the real deal. Vardy is unstoppable - or that seems to be the trend. Can't wait until we play them.

Guest rusty747

If Leicester are ok with injuries and suspensions and bad weather doesn't cause a fixture backlog for them, then I think they will make Europe next season. I had to read that sentence again before hitting the send button but I do think they are a top six team now. Not sure how they have managed it, but imho, they have!

Butland was on loan to Leeds the season before last. The general assessment of his performance was that he was crap. In one game he conceded four goals, three of which fans reckon he should have saved. Having said that, I think that applies to most 'loans'. Seldom do loan players seem to want to put themselves in the shop window. Leeds also had Ross on loan and no one was particularly impressed.

I don't think you can compare a young keeper going on loan to a midfielder. He needs to gain confidence in his defence and vice versa and ultimately any mistake results in a goal. I know you weren't having a go at butland and agreed the loan system sometimes doesn't work but I think he is class just there is no way he will play for us.

Guest rusty747

Howard is in declne, the jury is still out on Robles (not his fault, he just doesn't get a run in the team) but I do think we need a big name 'keeper who will offer us solidity and reliability for the next decade.

Edited by rusty747

Well I think you can forget butland Stoke are a very well run club and like ourselves do not need to sell.

If we are to get a top keeper we will probably look abroad.

They have zero debt (so a lot better run than we are tbf), so they'll be asking for far more than we would be willing to spend on a goalkeeper. We'll more than likely only be able to get an up and comer in. Which is what you'd have thought it was when we brought Robles in, but he isn't getting his chance.

What we should do is fuck Howard off for the rest of the season, tell him he can go in the summer, and give Robles from now until the end of the season. If he doesn't prove himself as being capable of being our new number one then you bring someone else in who is.

Butland (pre-Stoke) spent a good few years convincing me that he was a disaster when he was called upon.

Every game I saw of him, he was woeful or made numerous errors that resulted in goals.

He has certainly done much better this year but I will always have my doubts due to his previous performances.

Would I break the bank for him? No.