IGNORED

Wigan away

MikeO

Having watched the game I feel that we there were 2 reasons we played so poorley in patches.

First Nev, he was very poor he provided little protection to the back 4, he didnt track the runners and was at fault for the second goal when he failed to track Wigans forward. He doesnt break up opponents attacks, he badly needs replacing. Against a team that harrys and uses high tempo he wasnt able to offfer protection to Ossie, he cant calm the game down and retain posession like Gibson can. I dont know if we can get a replacement in Jan but it is very high on the must have list. Barcklay and Junior I feel are mor Ossie type players and this is an area we need provide cover. For now I would drop Nev and put Felli back in midfield with Naismith plying behined Jelly and swapping position with Mirallas

Heitinga was off the pace he is a quality player, but against pace he struggles, but he wasnt helped by Nev in midfield. Liked his honesty I still think he needs more games and then he will be back to form, I think that we need to rotate the back 2 depending on the threat posed, yesterday should have been Jaggs and Dustbin.

I agree that Neville was very poor yesterday and he didnt do enough when tracking back for the second goal however he is not the one to blame for that second goal.

It was Johnny H who gave the guy all the time and space in the world to get to the byline and pull it back in the first place. Heitinga was the worst player on the pitch and never got tight to Kone all game. Repeatedly giving him the freedom of the park to run at our defence and generally cause chaos.

Distin came on second half and straight away had him in his pocket, admittedly switching Felli back into midfield for half time also had an impact but we looked much better in the second half.

All things said and done it was an awful performance, ( but when was the last time we played well there? ) yet we still did enough to earn a point and had it not been for the ineptitude of the officials we would have taken all three points

Yes the officials were poor for us yesterday, and yes we should be beating Wigan, but based on what actually happened a point is a fair reflection of the game and is what we deserved from it.

In the first half we were extremely poor. Part of that was our own doing but the majority of it was because Wigan got their gameplan spot on and completely nullified us. Every time we got the ball they were onto us straight away so we didn't have a second to think and our players simply couldn't cope with it. They'd win the ball back and use it intelligently, but most importantly quickly (something we never got going all game, we were so slow with our play). Most of the time that meant hitting it long. But they weren't aimlessly punting it, they were aiming to get Kone one on one with Heitinga because he had the beating of Johnny and gave him a torrid time during that first half. This is how they got their second goal. Although, I actually thought Johnny did well on this occasion (it was the only time though); he held Kone up and pushed him wider (whereas previously and afterwards he allowed Kone to do whatever the hell he liked) but when Kone managed to pull the ball back across he was let down by his team mates because no one had tracked Di Santo.

In the second half there was a marked improvement. Bringing Distin on for Heitinga was a major reason for this. It meant Wigan couldn't use the same tactic as in the first half because Distin can cope better up against pace, and they didn't really have any other game plan against us and we managed to get a foothold in the game. But we were still pretty poor; other than between Pienaar and Baines there was no fluidity in our play and we were so slow in our use of the ball which meant we weren't as much of a threat to Wigan as we should have been. That being said we still managed to create a fair few chances, but if we'd have been in full flow we'd have absolutely murdered them.

Before the game I'd have been disappointed with a point but after the game a point is a decent result. In years gone by we'd have come away from there with nothing. Us being below par and them managing to go ahead for a second time would have killed us off, but this time we managed to dig out a result. That bodes well.

Howard - Couldn't have done a thing about either goal, made a couple of good saves and I don't remember him putting a foot wrong.

Coleman - Looked extremely poor defensively and was made to look like a fool in the build up to their first "goal". Offered nothing going forward either.

Jagielka - While half of the defence was having an afternoon to forget I thought he stood up well and put in a pretty good performance.

Heitinga - I'm pleased he came out after the game and said he'd been poor because he really did have a shocker. Every time he was called upon to defend I wanted to hide behind something, rock myself, and pretend it wasn't happening. He was shit on for 45 minutes and quite rightly substituted at half time. I'm sure Moyes was wanting to do it sooner, he was that bad.

Baines - Well, he was Baines. While the majority of the side struggled to get into their stride he never missed a step. Bombing up and down that left-wing like it's his favourite thing in the world, linking up telepathically with Pienaar, putting ball after ball into the box. Could and maybe should have got his goal earlier when he hit the post. And the nerve he showed with that late penalty was amazing. It was a quality penalty that no keeper was going to save. He was pretty much our only threat and was my MOTM.

Mirallas - You'd be forgiven for thinking he hadn't been playing in the first half. I really can't remember him even touching the ball all that much. Second half was a little better with him getting himself involved in the game and managing a couple of shots. But overall a poor showing for him after what he's shown in previous games.

Osman - Completely dominated in the first half. Every time he got the ball they swarmed on him and he was like a sitting duck to them. This shows how important he is to our brilliant play, otherwise they wouldn't have targeted him. He did improve in the second half, because he was allowed more time on the ball, but I didn't feel he used the ball quick enough so he didn't really manage to get much going for us.

Neville - Seriously, what is the point in Phil Neville? He is out there to protect the defence right? He didn't even get close to doing that yesterday. The space between our defence and midfield was embarrassing. This is the space he's supposed to fucking fill! It meant that all Kone and Di Santo had to do was drop a little tiny bit deeper and they'd be in acres of space, could get the ball and could then run at our defence. And they did this perfectly in the first half. And you would have thought that seeing Heitinga getting constantly roasted would get some sort of reaction out of our supposed great organiser, you know perhaps drop back to help Heitinga out so it wasn't always one on one. But no, he did jack shit. I won't blame him solely for the second goal because Osman was nowhere to be found either.

Pienaar - Like Baines, he managed to put in a typical performance and can come away from the game and deserve a pat on the back. He never stopped working and scheming down the left all game long. And he, somewhat fortunately, managed to get an assist for Jelavic's equaliser.

Fellaini - Hello? Hello? Is anyone there? I honestly don't think we'd have missed him at all yesterday if he'd been subbed along with Heitinga at half time. That's how effective he was. Wigan targeted him and wound him up early and that was pretty much him done for the rest of the game.

Jelavic - He annoyed me yesterday tbh. He went to ground far too easily on far too many occasions and then showed petulance when he didn't the decision. Just get on with the game and do what you're good at. Which is what he did perfectly to get us back in the game the first time.

I knew ahead of time that this would be a difficult game or not as straight forward as some were making out, and went with a 1-1 or 2-2 score before time and so it proved, I feel I have pretty good instincts. However once again the main match official did himself no favors and put in another inept performance that cost us a more effective result. I knew Wigan would be no pushovers especially on home ground but it wasn't quite the same Toffees performance of previous games that saw us do so well. Once again, the consistency issue would again come into focus, yes we should maybe be beating teams like this, and would have done if we had once again played like we can in previous games and said match official hadn't been so incompetent at times, but once again thought a draw would be the outcome and that's what we got. Obviously would have wanted the three points, but taking the referee out of the equation, maybe we really didn't deserve the victory yesterday. Disappointed, but we are still in a very good position, and we won't have match officials for every game such as the caliber or yesterday.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/statszone/archive/2012/10/08/prem-notes-081012.aspx?

Wigan were tackled just 8 times in this game, fewer than any other side over the weekend. Everton played more long balls than any other side in this round of action.

We gave away 14 fouls in this match, so almost 2 out of 3 tackles were deemed as a a foul from a team most know are not dirty. Feck knows how a multi-billion global industry can be officiated by clowns and crooks, I'd love for a new football association to be formed.

I can remember when Wigan Athletic were in the bottom tier of the league, and that was about as recent as 2001, quite a rise up the last decade to where they find themselves now, but it wasn't too long back that everybody associated Wigan with Rugby League and soccer never really got a mention.

I don't know hardly any of their other results thus far, and don't even know quite where they are in the league standings, but I don't think this will be an easy fixture, but we have the capabilities to get a result, and Moyes seems to focus more on league fixtures than Cup tournaments, so I think this one should have his strict attention. It won't be a stroll for us, and it's an awkward venue, so I think a draw would be a fair and accurate outcome and I can see this materializing.

Wigan Athletic 2 Everton 2

Fuck me, look at the above predicted scoreline, I even thought earlier I had gone for a 1-1 score initially.

I feel I have pretty good instincts.

Yeah, I was quite pleased with that

I agree that Neville was very poor yesterday and he didnt do enough when tracking back for the second goal however he is not the one to blame for that second goal.

It was Johnny H who gave the guy all the time and space in the world to get to the byline and pull it back in the first place. Heitinga was the worst player on the pitch and never got tight to Kone all game. Repeatedly giving him the freedom of the park to run at our defence and generally cause chaos.

Distin came on second half and straight away had him in his pocket, admittedly switching Felli back into midfield for half time also had an impact but we looked much better in the second half.

All things said and done it was an awful performance, ( but when was the last time we played well there? ) yet we still did enough to earn a point and had it not been for the ineptitude of the officials we would have taken all three points

As I have mentioned before, I dont think he was at fault for the 2nd goal. He did everything he could, and he was unlucky that after he made the challenge the ball fell kindly for Kone giving him enough space for the pull back. There were many other occasions though where he gave Kone too much space and he was always going to lose out playing that high up the pitch against a quick attacker.

Second half though, Distin did well but in all honesty he didnt have to do much else. Wigan sat back more, our midfield broke the play up far better and they never found a good ball into Kone. Most of the time it was too wide, or right at Distin. He simply didnt have the chance to make a run in behind. I dont know whether they stopped doing it because they presumed Distin would be able to cope better or what, but Wigan didnt ask the same questions after the break.

That having been said though, its only right that Distin comes back into the starting line-up. I am a big fan of Heitinga but he hasnt been very good since the Euros and he reminds me of Jags last year when he had that deer in headlights look. Hopefully Distin takes the chance and proves what a good defender he can be more consistently.

The biggest problem though is in midfield. When we are attacking in works pretty well. Pienaar & Mirallas cut inside, Osman breaks forward and Neville sweeps up behind. However when we are defending, no-one picks up any runners in the centre of midfield (something that Felli did do well against Wigan when he moved back) they find themselves reacting instead of acting. Players of Osman & Neville's experience should be able to cope with that better, albeit it hasnt been their natural position throughout their careers.

Edited by Bailey

As I have mentioned before, I dont think he was at fault for the 2nd goal. He did everything he could, and he was unlucky that after he made the challenge the ball fell kindly for Kone giving him enough space for the pull back. There were many other occasions though where he gave Kone too much space and he was always going to lose out playing that high up the pitch against a quick attacker.

Second half though, Distin did well but in all honesty he didnt have to do much else. Wigan sat back more, our midfield broke the play up far better and they never found a good ball into Kone. Most of the time it was too wide, or right at Distin. He simply didnt have the chance to make a run in behind. I dont know whether they stopped doing it because they presumed Distin would be able to cope better or what, but Wigan didnt ask the same questions after the break.

That having been said though, its only right that Distin comes back into the starting line-up. I am a big fan of Heitinga but he hasnt been very good since the Euros and he reminds me of Jags last year when he had that deer in headlights look. Hopefully Distin takes the chance and proves what a good defender he can be more consistently.

The biggest problem though is in midfield. When we are attacking in works pretty well. Pienaar & Mirallas cut inside, Osman breaks forward and Neville sweeps up behind. However when we are defending, no-one picks up any runners in the centre of midfield (something that Felli did do well against Wigan when he moved back) they find themselves reacting instead of acting. Players of Osman & Neville's experience should be able to cope with that better, albeit it hasnt been their natural position throughout their careers.

I guess we will have to disagree on that one

He was over 10 foot away from Kone and when the ball got pumped up to him Hietinga made no attempt what so ever to even try and close him down until he was inside our area and even then it was a half hearted challenge

Distin got tight to Kone and completely nullified his threat which also freed up Baines to bomb forward and help push Wigan back in the second half

@lukeofarrell

Highlighting Kevin Friend's complete incompetence. At Wigan, he booked Baines for "persistent fouling". The yellow was Baines' only foul.

Wonder whether the FA will reward Friend for his incompetence. Didn't hurt Clattenburg, Poll, or Atkinson think they all got the FA cup final in years they pissed all over us.

Edited by pete0