IGNORED

Big Dunc is the man for me!

Clearly the next boss of Everton is an important one (duh!) but I'm struggling to find a candidate that really jumps out at me.

I fear Martinez has built up a reputation on attractive football without getting results, I know very little of Vitor Pereira at Porto, and I just don't think Michael Laudrup wants to leave Swansea.

So then there is the option of picking an internal candidate, but I still can't get excited by Neville, Stubbs, or Weir!

Then I read last week Howard Kendall's assessment that Duncan Ferguson would be a perfect fit. At first I didn't really think much of it, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea! So I put together my top 10 reasons as to why I think Big Dunc should be our next manager on my blog. Would love to hear what fellow Evertonian's think!

http://stevenscaffardi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/top-10-reasons-why-duncan-fergsuon.html

No ta, well not yet anyway. Add his reluctance to build a relationship, other than a hostile one, with the media to his managerial inexperience and he isn't the corporate package for a club which wants to move even further forward than it has over the last 11 years. Always a legend as a player and maybe he will be as our manager....... not yet though.

Ferguson wasn't even a club legend here. Or anywhere for that matter, although a decent player who made a few headlines.

Wouldn't have him here in a managerial capacity, and needless to say, he won't be Moyes successor. As stated before, has no managerial experience, so while a nice idea, it's merely hearts ruling heads on this one. Being a recognized or decent player for any given club, doesn't necessarily indicate that you'll do well at managerial level with the same club team, or any club team for that matter. Ferguson here, is just another example.

I must admit, of all the internal candidates, Dunc would be my first choice. I think he would make a very good manager one day.

Lets be honest now, Dunc would need to be friendly towards the press, able to stay calm for 90+mins, and willing to step forward into the limelight a bit more, These are all things he has struggled hugely with in the past so why now? not for me, leave him on the coaching staff.

Firstly you cannot say hw isnt a club legend thats just daft.

In your eyes he mi9ght not be, but he is undoubtedly one of the clubs modern legends and icons. Media and fans dictate names.

But i dont think hes ready to be a manager of a top club yet.

Imagine it, 0.1 down at half time and the team not pulling thier weight. Whats needed is a moral boosting team talk. And here come everton out for the second time....There is pienaar being supported by a crutch one side and Bainsey the other.....Jags seems to have two black eyes and Jelly has actually turned to Jelly and seems a nervous wreck.

And here comes the manager with a nice red circle on his forehead and bleeding knuckles.

Lets be honest now, Dunc would need to be friendly towards the press, able to stay calm for 90+mins, and willing to step forward into the limelight a bit more, These are all things he has struggled hugely with in the past so why now? not for me, leave him on the coaching staff.

I think he has actually matured quite a bit since he stopped playing. From the interviews and comments I have seen, he knows that he was a twat and he is now trying to make amends and help stop other young players from going down the same path.

I dont want him to be our next manager but It would surprise me if became a decent manager somewhere down the line and certainly better than like likes of Stubbs and Weir.

I agree that he's changed, maybe if he took over the under 21's after Stubbs it old help him progress. Not the right time IMO.

Also, I'm with the not a legend thing. By that I don't mean he wasn't for me, he was my hero as a kid, but a lot of fellas who saw Everton before the 90's just consider him average as they saw some of the worlds best in the blue shirt. There's been plenty of arguments on here about it. Is it worth going through it all again?

I kind of knew the option of Big Dunc being manager would raise a few eyebrows, and in a way my blog is slightly tongue in cheek, but who is to say he wouldn't make a great manager? Most of the time we'll never know unless people are given a chance. I'm guessing most people would have thought the likes of Roy Keane or Tony Adams would have been fantastic managers because of the leadership qualities they showed at their clubs, but the truth is you'll never know unless given a shot. The likes of Stubbs, Weir, and Neville have all been touted as possible Everton managers, so why not Big Dunc?

He isnt exactly the perfect image of modern attacking football though. More of a lump it up to a tall striker kinda guy. Love him to bits and he might be good some day. However we need a manager now. (someone who actually is a manager)

Liked your blog tho and I hope you stick around here.

Youre a comedian right? Say something funny :D

I'd jump at the chance to have Redknapp as manager.

Say again, also, Duncan Ferguson was not a club legend, I stand by that thinking. Certainly not on the same plateau as Graeme Sharp, Alan Ball or David Hickson, and those are just a few examples. Interesting individual who got into a few scrapes and made a few headlines and scored some memorable goals, but you can't categorize with some of the aforementioned names.

I'd jump at the chance to have Redknapp as manager.

Say again, also, Duncan Ferguson was not a club legend, I stand by that thinking. Certainly not on the same plateau as Graeme Sharp, Alan Ball or David Hickson, and those are just a few examples. Interesting individual who got into a few scrapes and made a few headlines and scored some memorable goals, but you can't categorize with some of the aforementioned names.

You are fairly alone on this one DK. Each to their opinion though. Big Dunc is the only legend in the club to the younger fans. They cant relate to the likes of Alan Ball, Graeme Sharp, Ratcliffe, Southall etc.

His off pitch antics are part of his legendary status, much like George Best. Big Dunc wasnt a brilliant football player but he loves Everton and it showed on the pitch.

What a totally bizarre statement.

Hes not a legend in my eyes, though understand why people might see him that way.

As has been mentioned, none of the internal candidates are ready. Paper saying David Weir today...

Edited by Matt

You are fairly alone on this one DK. Each to their opinion though. Big Dunc is the only legend in the club to the younger fans. They cant relate to the likes of Alan Ball, Graeme Sharp, Ratcliffe, Southall etc.

His off pitch antics are part of his legendary status, much like George Best. Big Dunc wasnt a brilliant football player but he loves Everton and it showed on the pitch.

Ferguson was a tremendous football player. Rooney aside he was possibly the most talented striker we have had in recent times. He had absolutely everything. Pace, touch, could hold it up, good with either foot. I had a pint with Graeme sharp who said he had that much talent it was scary. Could have been so much more but for injuries etc. we only utilised 60% of him.