IGNORED

3-4 players wanted, but who are your choices?

The article doesn't fill me with confidence that anyone of any note will be coming in (unless someone like Fellaini or Baines is sold).

sounds very promising to me. Sounds like there is money available but he doesnt want to throw it around until hes seen everyone. Once we get back from the preseason tours, I imagine he will know which area he wants to further reinforce (im sure hes got at least 2/3 ideas per outfield position) and spend if necessary.

sounds very promising to me. Sounds like there is money available but he doesnt want to throw it around until hes seen everyone. Once we get back from the preseason tours, I imagine he will know which area he wants to further reinforce (im sure hes got at least 2/3 ideas per outfield position) and spend if necessary.

I hope you're right, because we do need a few more first-teamers brought in.

Edit - and younger first-teamers at that.

Edited by Romey 1878

That does sound like we shouldn't expect new arrivals anytime soon. I'm sure he realizes we're low on midfield options, anyone that has a quick look at the squad realizes that. He does say he wants to assess some youngsters so he might want to have a closer look at Barkley and Lundstram before he brings other midfielders in. Lundstram is the same age as McCarthy was when he got into the Wigan team btw.

That does sound like we shouldn't expect new arrivals anytime soon. I'm sure he realizes we're low on midfield options, anyone that has a quick look at the squad realizes that. He does say he wants to assess some youngsters so he might want to have a closer look at Barkley and Lundstram before he brings other midfielders in. Lundstram is the same age as McCarthy was when he got into the Wigan team btw.

That's how I read it. I think he has got the players he thinks he needed to boost the squad and now its about making sure he gets the right player or players to really make a difference.

it also depends whether Dithering Dave is going to poach Fellaini and or Baines in the last week of the transfer window -maybe Martinez is waiting on Moyes to make up his mind -without those two the shopping list might look totally different

Its not up to DM, if he comes in with a bid the last week of the transfer window. Everton could simply tell him to piss off.

My complete take on the squad:

• We're set in goal with Howard and Joel competing for starting spot and spot on the bench.
  • We're set in the right back department with Coleman starting and Stones as a backup who could conceivably deputise as a centre back as well.
  • We're set in the left back department with Baines starting and Oviedo as backup. Garbutt should go out on loan. If Baines gets sold, I would just move Oviedo up to starting XI and Garbutt as the backup.
  • The centre back position is solid as well with 4 players for 2 positions in Jagielka, Distin, Alcaraz and Heitinga. If Heitinga goes, we could bring ALDERWEIRELD or another centre back (preferably a left footed one) in. Duffy goes out on loan to the Championship for the season.
  • In the middle of the park we have Fellaini, Gibson, Osman and Barkley. We still need someone who can play in front of the defense. If Lundstram is deemed not ready, he should go out on loan and we should buy MCCARTHY or JORGINHO (if those really are the players on our list for that position). If Fellaini leaves, then we should get the other one as well. Then we should also move for another number 10. Someone like ERIKSEN would be fantastic of course. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of interest from the top teams and if Baines or Fellaini was to go we would be able to afford him as well. Question remains whether he would want to join us but I think having a manager with a reputation for positive football like Martinez will help. Junior should play for the U21s until we find him a loan to a League 1 side or something, Grant should play for the U21s.
  • On the wings we have Mirallas, Pienaar, Deulofeu. I think that in an ideal world, we'd still get another winger. We were linked to LEE CHUNG-YONG in some paper a while ago and I would actually really like him for anything up to 4 or even 5 million. Kennedy should play for the U21s. Gueye should be sold if we can find someone that wants him on a permanent transfer.
  • Up top we have Koné, Anichebe and Jelavic. One player to start, one for the bench, one shouldn't even be part of the match day squad, but we need that kind of competition. Vellios should go on loan to the Championship for the season. McAleny and Long can play for the U21s or even get experience out on loan if there's any interest.

That means we'd have a squad of 23 plus Hibbert (who can provide depth across the defensive line) and Naismith (who can provide depth on the wings and in the midfield) for Martinez to work with, so that's 25 first team players in training.

Edited by Steve_E

it also depends whether Dithering Dave is going to poach Fellaini and or Baines in the last week of the transfer window -

maybe Martinez is waiting on Moyes to make up his mind -

without those two the shopping list might look totally different

My guess is that, behind the scenes, the deal has already been done. Whether it's both Fellaini and Baines or Fellaini only, time will tell. This would explain why RM has three or four players already lined up to join the team. My only concern is that some will moan and gripe about bringing in more former Wigan players (e.g., McCarthy and Moses). If they are the right guys for the job, though, I don't see why their former teams should matter.

All players have to start somewhere. Doesn't matter if its Wigan. If we get some money from Rooney then we have spent around £4 mill which is fuck all. With this new sky deal which is astronomical we can put away £10 mill a season and clear are debt in 5-6 years if we are sensible. That still should leave us with a good few quid without sales. Moses loan and a centre mid and wideman definitely needed. I'd love McCarthy as he is a box to box midfielder and I know a lot of people are saying he is worth £6-8 mill at most but Allen,Henderson,Rodwell all went for £12 mill plus so lets get our head out of arses and stop talking shit. In one breath we say we don't spend money then we get linked with a player at the GOING rate we say he isn't worth it. As for widemen take your pick. I really rate ince but the likes of Astu would be half the price

whole thing made me giggle, but loved this....

If McCarthy is worth £20m and McManaman is worth £15m and calculating by the laws of continuity, Baines, one of the most creative and influential players in world football, is worth *scribbles madly on pad* INFINITY MILLION POUNDS

I have to disagree with a lot of what that says. We barely have any cover in midfield for one: Fellaini, Osman, Gibson and Barkley for 3 positions. That's it! I don't see much cover there. Then there's the fact that James McCarthy is better than Leroy Fer. The "very good" article about McCarthy they link to is ridiculous as well as it basically boils down to: James McCarthy doesn't score or assist much so isn't very good. Michael Carrick has scored once, twice and zero times in the last three seasons so he must be shit as well then. That's the role McCarthy would come in for so demanding he scores a lot is ridiculous.

I have to disagree with a lot of what that says. We barely have any cover in midfield for one: Fellaini, Osman, Gibson and Barkley for 3 positions. That's it! I don't see much cover there. Then there's the fact that James McCarthy is better than Leroy Fer. The "very good" article about McCarthy they link to is ridiculous as well as it basically boils down to: James McCarthy doesn't score or assist much so isn't very good. Michael Carrick has scored once, twice and zero times in the last three seasons so he must be shit as well then. That's the role McCarthy would come in for so demanding he scores a lot is ridiculous.

I dont think the article was supposed to be taken seriously, was it?

The body language was interesting when the questions were asked about Baines and Fellaini, and it was clear that RM was conveying an agreed party line. The impression I came away with is "we are a close-knit team and plan to stay that way" - but, I still think he's expecting to lose B&F to ManU.

I got the opposite feeling, and think hes confident of keeping everyone.

He also the clubs finances were in great shape :huh:

He also the clubs finances were in great shape :huh:

Hopefully that means we can continue to improve the squad then. People can whinge about Moyes as much as they want but when he brought someone in generally the were an improvement on what we had. Whereas we have 4 new players in under Martinez but they have just been to make up the numbers imo, We need some quality now, still time though.

Hopefully that means we can continue to improve the squad then. People can whinge about Moyes as much as they want but when he brought someone in generally the were an improvement on what we had. Whereas we have 4 new players in under Martinez but they have just been to make up the numbers imo, We need some quality now, still time though.

Alcaraz is an improvement on Heitinga defensively and gives us a different type of defender - one who can collect the ball from keeper and not hoof it.

Kone is an improvement on any striker we have. Even using his goal stats for Wigan he has proven that, to my eyes, he is a better player than we have in Anichebe and Jelavic.

Robles for the price and wages is going to compete with Howard, rather than be a rest option like Mucha was. He is one for the future and may oust Howard this season.

Gerry D - Barcas next big hope €35m buy out clause, I think he will improve the team... excited to see him

All for a grand total of under £6m??? I'm more than happy with that. They have no doubt improved us and give us the platform to maybe look at using our money to strengthen in midfield,

McCarthy would do great. A player with hunger, discipline, quality, concentration, composure, work rate, good range of passing and ball retention. He ain't gonna excite Football manager fan boys who will imediately log on to compare him to Rip Van Winkle in the dutch league who got 20 goals and 25 assists in the dutch second division earning him comparisons with Johan Neeskens - but he is a proven premier league quality player who will improve.

I think we've improved without a doubt.

Gone:

Neville

Hitzlsperger

Mucha

Incoming:

Alcaraz

Robles

Kone

Duelofeu

He has to fill the squad because the squad fillers have left.