IGNORED

3-4 players wanted, but who are your choices?

I read that he wants 3/4 new additions, hopefully one from each position.

GK - ???

Def - Alcaraz

Mid - ???

Str - Kone

So who would have to be signed in the remaining two positions for people to be happy?

As you're aware by now, I'm not particularly happy with the signings of the two players that we're bringing in, however I CAN see the logic in one (Alcaraz) but not the second (Kone) - argument based on price paid, wage, ability, longevity.

I'd be happy with (based on reported £20m increased tv revenue (minus bank bills :P )).

GK - Maxym Koval - £5m? - 20

Def - Inigo Martinez - £7/8m - 21

Mid - Malandar £2m (sign on fees) - 18

Str - Honda - £5/6m? - 27

Some very promising players. Some very young but with lots experience (MK & IM). Someone who is certainly world class (KH) and another who is potentially a player to take forward his nations hopes as a midfield general (JM).

So let's turn it into a discussion, rather than a battle aha. P.s. I know I haven't helped.

So who would you guys chose as your 'four'?

Why are we so pre occupied in looking at average age all of a sudden? I mentioned two years ago my concern at the likes of Neville, Saha, Cahill, distin, Hibbo and to a certain extent it's been addressed. We have signed some quality potential shoe ins (stones, Kennedy).

Yet at that time everyone goes nuts saying we need someone ready now?! Unless we have £20m to spend on a sub 25 year old goal machine then £5m for a solid 29 year old striker is good.

Why are we so pre occupied in looking at average age all of a sudden? I mentioned two years ago my concern at the likes of Neville, Saha, Cahill, distin, Hibbo and to a certain extent it's been addressed. We have signed some quality potential shoe ins (stones, Kennedy).

We haven't though Haf. You had concerns about 1st team player ages, which everyone else did. Those players you listed as "potential shoe ins) wont be first team for years, so they aren't replacements for those players!

We need first team replacements. That's it. Preferably younger than what we have now!

Yet at that time everyone goes nuts saying we need someone ready now?! Unless we have £20m to spend on a sub 25 year old goal machine then £5m for a solid 29 year old striker is good.

Isn't this the point, though? Have any of those concerns adequately been adressed? We lost Cahill and Saha and still haven't developed a striker who deserves to be anywhere near the match-day roster. We had to scramble and find Hitzlsberger to address our gaping hole in central mid once Neville started going downhill. Wouldn't it be nice if we brought in someone who could give us 4-5 quality years instead of bringing in 29-30 year old stopgaps and having to deal with the same issues in 2 years time? No, I don't expect us to grab a Lewandowski but let's not pretend that there's no middle ground between that and a 5M striker in the twilight of his career. Swansea hardly broke the bank to bring in Michu. Same with West Brom and Shane Long. And these are teams who were below us on the table and have less prestige than Everton. I find it very hard to believe that Kone is the best we can do.

We need a few strong midfielders, not just one.

I would be happy with Macarthy, Fer, and Honda but it won't happen.

Defence wise we can get lots of defenders on the cheap, but they need to be decent. I don't see Alcaraz displacing any of our defenders from the first 11, unless Martinez is crazy, as we have some of the best defenders in the league, so if he is just going to sit and be a squad player, why not get a younger player and let him learn his trade while he waits.

I have a feeling that our budget was based on either Fellaini or Baines leaving, and I have a sneaky feeling both are staying, so I'm not expecting much from this window.

Keeper wise, Ross Turnbull is free unless anybody else gets him, or Joel perhaps.

Striker wise, Mirallas could be our golden egg.

what a cunt kenright is. why say theres money there when we can only get wigan players and old ones too. could have got 1 decent player instead of getting 2 old average ones fer would have cost the same as them 2 and i guarentee more fans want better standard of plyer and not loads of poor substitutes. kone is ok but come on are we improving here.

we dont have 20 million so really its up to martinez to try and do what moyes did but we dont look like a club moving forward and the fellaini's and baines's wont be around long with the lack of ambition we are showing considering we are not far off a squad who could get europe and by the way if roberto prefers alcaraz to distin he hasn't a clue defensively thats for sure, hope im wrong and he is back up.

If i was chairman i would show a bit of guts and lend to get 3 to 4 starting players we could possibly get europe keep our top players and move up as a club but it seems were to happy to finish 8th every year really depressing me.

Edited by Blue4Ever

Barkley was always the new Cahill for me. Striker wise it's fair to say anichebe has replaced Saha. Re Neville I think Coleman has covered him.

I just want someone up front who the new managers knows can do what he wants. If kone is that man, that's fine by me.

what a cunt kenright is. why say theres money there when we can only get wigan players and old ones too. could have got 1 decent player instead of getting 2 old average ones fer would have cost the same as them 2 and i guarentee more fans want better standard of plyer and not loads of poor substitutes. kone is ok but come on are we improving here.

we dont have 20 million so really its up to martinez to try and do what moyes did but we dont look like a club moving forward and the fellaini's and baines's wont be around long with the lack of ambition we are showing considering we are not far off a squad who could get europe and by the way if roberto prefers alcaraz to distin he hasn't a clue defensively thats for sure, hope im wrong and he is back up.

If i was chairman i would show a bit of guts and lend to get 3 to 4 starting players we could possibly get europe keep our top players and move up as a club but it seems were to happy to finish 8th every year really depressing me.

How many times do we have to say it we have no idea who we are really trying to sign its all paper talk.

I think that if we sign Kone then Jelavic might be out of the doorand if so that might free up some room for another younger striker to come in.

The straight swap for Alcaraz and Heits makes sense and hopefully this could free up some wages for the Honda style player that we need.

I cant see ua paying much for a reserve keeper and he may just be a season long loan job until someone becomes available.

I don't mind Alcaraz and Kone coming in, so for me it's just a midfielder and a keeper? A keeper might as well be one happy to sit on the bench for a couple of years.

But I'm going to work on a 433 as I think that's what he will play.

For a front three Kone, Anichebe and Jelavic can all play central.

Kone, Mirallas, Pienaar and Oviedo can all play in the wide positions.

If Fellaini stays then him and Gibson can hold the two of the three, plus Barkley, Osman and Pienaar.

If we only bring in one midfield player he needs to be able to play as the advanced midfielder and ideally as the wide forward when required.

I don't know too many keepers to be honest, but as mentioned Turnbull, he looked decent a few years back. Midfielders, Honda would be perfect, completely perfect. I can't think of anyone realistic who could be possible, unfortunately Honda might not be realistic if Milan really do want him.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to suggest players. I'd feel like those old-school punters in 'Moneyball', sitting around a table discussing average-midling players as if they had some magic insight - while complaining about lack of funds. Instead, Billy Beane came up with a strategy and chose some of the most unlikely players to build a winning team. I don't have details of the strategy or the player profiles that RM must have come up with, but I trust his approach. I have no doubt that we'll question some of his transfer decisions, but what matters is results - especially results during the second half of the season.

For a front three Kone, Anichebe and Jelavic can all play central.

Kone, Mirallas, Pienaar and Oviedo can all play in the wide positions.

If Fellaini stays then him and Gibson can hold the two of the three, plus Barkley, Osman and Pienaar.

If we only bring in one midfield player he needs to be able to play as the advanced midfielder and ideally as the wide forward when required.

What about defence? Shouldn't the team plan for the future by bringing in cover for players whose ages are creeping up?

Edited by Cornish Steve

What about defence? Shouldn't the team plan for the future by bringing in cover for players whose ages are creeping up?

We have Duffy, Garbutt & Stones (and debatably Oviedo) plus Matthew Pennigton's signed his first pro deal.

So pretty well covered across the back.

Honda's agent has met with Milan tonight by all account and Honda wants to go there by the sound of it - for £2m , Not a lot we can do about that if he want to go to Milan rather than us. Milan will get a bargain. Real shame, but we are not going to attract player like Milan can.

I am happy enough with Kone for £5M, that's not too steep and we would be mad to pass up Alcaraz on a free transfer given the Martinez connection. Anybody doing a bit of research with find out he is a decent enough defender. Player get injured, so he would offer excellent cover for very little wages. Heitinga's sound like he is going, so lets get as much cash back as we can. If we get £3M for him and his weekly salary off the books, I imagine that wouldn't be too far off covering Kone and Alcaraz arrival at the club as I doubt very much their combined wages would be anywhere hear the £65K jonnies apparently on a week. So that to me that would be a good bit of business all round.

With Duffy I think we would have enough cover in the CB positions.

One player I would really like to see come to the club would be Victor Moses, but I am not to sure Chelsea will part with him. Can play a variety of roles across the front line. young, has plenty of premiership experience, Martinez knows his game and strengths. If we were going to be parting with decent money of young talent, I would say he was least risky at around the £8-£10M mark. not very imaginative I know. I don't think Chelsea are interested in Fellini either so a part exchange unlikely to happen.

There's absolutely no guarantee they'll ever turn into Premier League starters. That doesn't mean I have any problem with signings like those. If we're convinced of their potential and think they're worth the money, we should sign them. But that doesn't solve any immediate first team problems. Getting the age of the squad down itself is no problem, we only need to get rid of the old guys! Neville left this off-season so statistically the age of the squad will have gone down. We still need to replace them with quality players ready for the first team as well, players like Mirallas and Oviedo.

Edited by Steve_E

3-4 players should be the minimum we're signing btw. We lost Neville and Mucha, Hitzlsperger as well but he didn't really have a very important role. We need to at least replace Nev and Mucha to maintain the size of last year's squad and we should look to sign a couple more players because last year's squad was already too small.

We need another striker that can score goals. We are desperately short there with no real young player coming through, Maybe McCaleny, not sure.

Midfield we need another central figure. Ossie is getting on now and gets tired after a run of games. We have barkley coming through but i would love to see another strong energetic midfielder come in. Gibbo can do a job but is only a 6-7 of 10 player. I think Oviedo, kennedy, Mirallas and even Coleman can do a job out wide.

Defence is lacking. I really am worried about our defence. all we need is one big injury and we dont have the cover in the middle. Heits needs to either step up or be replaced. I have reservations about Duffy but really want to be proved wrong.

Goalkeeper, yes we need a bench warmer.

So for me the following;

Kone.

Alcaraz.

Fer, still would love this guy.

Goalkeeper = no idea.

Say again, Shay Given looks set to leave this close season and really could be worth a swoop. Always thought he was a very good 'keeper and while the years may be advancing, has a wealth of experience and is widely recognized as a fine player. Could do a lot worse than give him a try next season.

Center forwards, and people will have their own ideas, but will brave giving Murray at Crystal Palace another mention. He was very prolific this season and top scorer and the championship league isn't as straight forward as some would believe, but with the promotion, it seems unlikely they'll sell to another EPL side. Lambert at Saints and Holt at Norwich have done well and are established names, although I'd favor the former as a new acquisition.

Read enough about the Kone issue and in two minds about whether we should bring him in. Pity actually that Scholes retired recently, as I thought he still had something to offer and would have liked to have seen him have a final season (with us) and do well in a midfield capacity,but decisions have been made.

Say again, Shay Given looks set to leave this close season and really could be worth a swoop. Always thought he was a very good 'keeper and while the years may be advancing, has a wealth of experience and is widely recognized as a fine player. Could do a lot worse than give him a try next season.

Center forwards, and people will have their own ideas, but will brave giving Murray at Crystal Palace another mention. He was very prolific this season and top scorer and the championship league isn't as straight forward as some would believe, but with the promotion, it seems unlikely they'll sell to another EPL side. Lambert at Saints and Holt at Norwich have done well and are established names, although I'd favor the former as a new acquisition.

Read enough about the Kone issue and in two minds about whether we should bring him in. Pity actually that Scholes retired recently, as I thought he still had something to offer and would have liked to have seen him have a final season (with us) and do well in a midfield capacity,but decisions have been made.

He's 37 years old ? :huh:

Why don't we see if Peter flipping Shilton is doing anything on a Saturday?

Guest blueboy122

These seem the most likely...

GK - Joel

Def - Alcatraz

Mid - McGeady

Att - Kone

They wouldn't be my choices but to build the squad I would be okay with this. I think 'marquee' signings will be signed only in the event of Felli and/or Baines leaving.

These seem the most likely...

GK - Joel

Def - Alcatraz

Mid - McGeady

Att - Kone

They wouldn't be my choices but to build the squad I would be okay with this. I think 'marquee' signings will be signed only in the event of Felli and/or Baines leaving.

That's my idea of an awful window tbh. I can put up with Kone even Alcaraz if im honest, but not Mcgeady he's completely gash and i will be fuming if we sign him. Im fed up of being linked with Martinez's Wigan targets at the moment. We have gone from Negredo to Kone and Fer to Dyer/McGeady. Lets hope it's ALL paper talk.

Edited by Simon

I'm quite looking forward to seeing us sign a midfield general, I think felli will be gone and its a matter of Martinez making such enquiries as to availability and price.

I imagine he's working hard as we speak on this.

I must say i am interested to see how we are lined up on the opening day of the season.