IGNORED

3-4 players wanted, but who are your choices?

I think Martinez is now just biding his time. It sounds like we have money to spend and I think he wants to see who can adapt and who cant. Once the US tournament has finished I would expect to see a couple out and at least one but maybe two come in. Judging my his press conference, I can definitely see a couple of the younger players step up.

Alcaraz is an improvement on Heitinga defensively and gives us a different type of defender - one who can collect the ball from keeper and not hoof it.

Kone is an improvement on any striker we have. Even using his goal stats for Wigan he has proven that, to my eyes, he is a better player than we have in Anichebe and Jelavic.

Robles for the price and wages is going to compete with Howard, rather than be a rest option like Mucha was. He is one for the future and may oust Howard this season.

Gerry D - Barcas next big hope €35m buy out clause, I think he will improve the team... excited to see him

All for a grand total of under £6m??? I'm more than happy with that. They have no doubt improved us and give us the platform to maybe look at using our money to strengthen in midfield,

McCarthy would do great. A player with hunger, discipline, quality, concentration, composure, work rate, good range of passing and ball retention. He ain't gonna excite Football manager fan boys who will imediately log on to compare him to Rip Van Winkle in the dutch league who got 20 goals and 25 assists in the dutch second division earning him comparisons with Johan Neeskens - but he is a proven premier league quality player who will improve.

At the moment then maybe, but give him his confidence back then Jelavic is a much better striker than Kone imo, and people seem to forget that there is no use getting worked up over Deulofeu as no matter how well he plays, he will be gone in a years time regardless. Robles is the only genuine improvement on what we had. Wasn't just Heitinga that hoofed either Haf, Jags and Distin just as bad as Jonny for hoofing mate, yet it's only ever labelled at Jonny who let's face it hardly played last year.

Agree on McCarthy he could be that missing link in the middle, id like to see us sign him if we can.

Edited by Simon

I think Martinez is now just biding his time. It sounds like we have money to spend and I think he wants to see who can adapt and who cant. Once the US tournament has finished I would expect to see a couple out and at least one but maybe two come in. Judging my his press conference, I can definitely see a couple of the younger players step up.

Exactly, he's only had a full side for two days. He needs to see who fits and who doesn't.

Love how they only mention 3 players we've signed. I get that Gerard isn't ours but he's still a signing for the season.

The club flyer advertising the Betis game has something on the lines of come watch new signings like Kone, Alcaraz, and Deulofeu. Feck knows why they omitted Robles.

I don't know its just a coincidence that all these young lads have signed pro terms recently buts its a good thing. If we keep Felli I would still love us to sign McCarthy to prove competition and when Gibbo is injured and Felli suspended. I know £13-15 mill seems a lot but with the Sky money going mental we will pay over a five year contract and his wages wont be astronomical. Apart from that I would love a pacy winger who can play on either wing if we change formation.

1. Howard

2.Coleman 4.Jags 5.Milkman 3.Baines

6. Gibbo/McCarthy 8.Felli 11. Peanuts/Ossie

10. Barkley/Defeleou 7. Super Kev

9.Kone/Vic/Jelly

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wont-splash-cash-sake-it-5730692

From this I'm not expecting anything but maybe a loan signing or two.

Disappointing and makes me feel a bit anxious tbh.

sounds to me like he has a bit of cash but is waiting to spend it. we have a bit more depth now, why not put whats left of the transfer funds to one side and see whats what in January.

Lets not forget weve signed 4 decent players, all of which bring something to the team. When was the last time that happened!?

sounds to me like he has a bit of cash but is waiting to spend it. we have a bit more depth now, why not put whats left of the transfer funds to one side and see whats what in January.

Lets not forget weve signed 4 decent players, all of which bring something to the team. When was the last time that happened!?

That supposedly happens every year, only for the money to either disappear or never exist.

That's really disheartening (article).

That supposedly happens every year, only for the money to either disappear or never exist.

That's really disheartening (article).

except when we signed Gibson, Stones, Jelavic, Coleman, Vellios... All signed in January transfer window.

I know none were for great sums, and I know what you're getting at, but wanted to show that we do sign quality players in January, even though they're cheap

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/martinez-hoping-add-blues-squad-5775444?

Please don't be Barry. Please don't be Barry. Please don't be Barry.

I understand some of the negativity around Barry but would getting him on loan be such a bad thing? Look at some of the positives:-

- we need a defensive minded player especially given the frailties we've seen in defence this pre/season (and Roberto's previous record)

- Gibson has niggly injuries and is struggling to put a long run of games together

- we may expect that somebody will come in on deadline day and offer 25m+ for Felli, we might need that money in January!

- a younger and better version of Phil Neville. Lots of people didn't like Phil and he wasn't up to the mark last season but he brought a lot of prescence to our side and was a good leader

I'm betting most of you chaps are too young to remember Paul Power when we got him from Man City :)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/martinez-hoping-add-blues-squad-5775444?

Please don't be Barry. Please don't be Barry. Please don't be Barry.

Good to see Roberto is still looking to be active in the market, but it must be slightly awkward, he needs a plan A for if Baines and Fellaini stay(i guess this is his one more in statement) and he needs a plan B for if they go, as we will need more than one signing then. The mancs need to make up their mind what they are doing, otherwise it will be a last day thing, and knowing us we won't replace in time.

Edited by Simon

I understand some of the negativity around Barry but would getting him on loan be such a bad thing? Look at some of the positives:-

- we need a defensive minded player especially given the frailties we've seen in defence this pre/season (and Roberto's previous record)

- Gibson has niggly injuries and is struggling to put a long run of games together

- we may expect that somebody will come in on deadline day and offer 25m+ for Felli, we might need that money in January!

- a younger and better version of Phil Neville. Lots of people didn't like Phil and he wasn't up to the mark last season but he brought a lot of prescence to our side and was a good leader

I'm betting most of you chaps are too young to remember Paul Power when we got him from Man City :)

I'm against the Barry signing for a few reasons (covered in the Barry thread) but if we're only looking to bring one more player in then I will be absolutely gutted if it's Barry. I could cope with it if he was brought in along with another, but only him? I just feel we need more from this window than what we've already done i.e. actually improve the first 11, which is something I don't think we've done in any way.

Personally, I'm convinced we have McCarthy and Alderweireld lined up to replace Fellaini. Should Baines go as well, then add Marrone and Moses. I'd be quite surprised if we bring in anyone else.

Best case scenario if both leave. I wouldn't be too unhappy with those acquisitions.