IGNORED

Norwich City (Away) FT: 2-2

Zoo

On the face of it, an away draw at Carrow Road is a decent result. They've brought in some worthwhile players during close season, their manager (Hughton) is no fool, and not many teams are going to take maximum points from there this season. Wasn't expecting great things on the first day with Martinez. I think over time, he'll put together a fine and effective team that gets results, but it's going to take time for these players to work together as a cohesive unit. Little disappointed we weren't able to get maximum points today, but never envisaged we would get three points before time, and so it proved.

Good games for Felli, Coleman, Jelavic, and of course Barkley.

Jela seemed to be much more confident, keeping possession was overall more composed.

Felli ran everywhere and If he ends of leaving I think we will end up really missing him...

Barkley just did everything right. All the passes were the right ones, great touch, and not a bad shot :P

Coleman had a good game on the flank, feel like sometimes he is lacking as much help as the left side gets. Was also solid defensively

"I think it's a fair result," said Hughton. "It was a tight and difficult game in which they (Everton) showed great quality with what is arguably their best XI.

"They moved the ball around very well and caused us a lot of problems."

Having taken the lead through Whittaker, the Canaries were quickly pegged back by goals from Ross Barkley and Seamus Coleman, but Hughton was delighted with his players' response.

He added: "We had good chances ourselves and having taken the lead in the second half I think we needed a longer period to get back into it.

"However, we soon found that we were 2-1 down and then we look at the character of our players.

"We certainly showed drive to get back into the game."

Hughton was particularly impressed with debutant striker Van Wolfswinkel, whose header secured the equaliser.

"We've got to make sure that with the strikers we do have we provide them with a service. What Ricky gives us is a willing runner up front, whatever formation," he said.

"He always gives us an opportunity to score goals."

Hughton also took light of the fact that he was missing a few key players, while Everton were able to field a strong side from the off.

"The satisfying thing is that we were up against a full-strength Everton side. Robert Snodgrass pulled out only today, we were missing Leroy Fer, Anthony Pilkington and Sebastian Bassong, too.

"We've got more scope with the squad we've got, and taking that into consideration the lads put a great effort in today."

To finish sixth this season, we need to match last season's results. Today, we improved on last season and are a point ahead, so we have the potential to move into the top five. It's easy to be disappointed about not winning, but no team will win every game. Our aim has to be to better last season's results. We've started out on the right foot. <br />

Norwich 2-2 Everton - A great point for us with a severely understrength team vs. what I presume was a full-strength team minus Gibson

As soon as the team-sheets were announced with Bassong and Hooper not passing fitness tests, Fer banned and Snodgrass a surprise injury things were looking bleak. It's the equivalent to you losing Baines, Fellaini, Distin and Kone. Hughton has always favoured a slightly negative but defensively organised approach and with the key players missing it was going to be a long afternoon with RVW isolated upfront for us.

Overall thought you dominated the match, as the stats show, but rarely threatened to actually get through the two rows of 4 we had and make a clear-cut chance. Barkley ran the show with Redmond looking dangerous for us in glimpses on the break.

No idea why Whittaker thought he was Lionel's brother today but after an initial lucky break he finished a chance that could've easily been missed despite being an open net. Nothing we could do about the reply from Barkley, great shift of the feet and a rocket into the corner, Ruddy no chance.

The second goal was disappointing from a defending point of view with Redmond not tracking Coleman but he'll learn from that and the goal followed a patient passing move from your point of view. Couldn't really see how we we're going to score again until Lionel's brother pops up with a superbly well-executed outside of the foot-volley cross which RVW does what you expect a quality striker to do, put away the chance when it comes.

Not a bad start to the season then with both teams up and running although I'm sure the travelling support went home more disappointed than the home section. Enjoy Martinez's easy-on-the-eye football but always with the element of risk at the back and hopefully we'll give you a better game with a full-strength side at Goodison later in the season.

MikeO - you may call it an obsession - I call it observation -

go and look at Baines's positional play with both goals against us yesterday - not what you expect from a top class left back -

last season most of the goals against us came from our left where he plays (out of position on the attack often unfortunately leaving our left flank exposed) -

some may see him as the best left back in the country but he had the worst defending stats of our regular back four last season especially defending in the air and tackles -

his strength is his attacking abilities and not his defence and that is my "obsession" and a fact - check it out yourself -

he is a great attacking left back sure, but not so at defending which in my opinion is the primary job of a left back

Slightly off topic, but is anyone watching Sunday supplement?

They're bemoaning the fact that no teams with "top 4 aspirations" are bringing through any young English players. Did they watch the game yesterday? A 19 year old english lad scored a beauty with his left foot and ran the show! In his 4th PL start.

But of course because he doesn't play for Utd/City/Chelsea it's not worth pointing out. Don't know why I watch it tbh, none of them know fuck all.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Yea and Stones will be the next one on that list - Jags better pull up his socks - Swansea got in behind him too easily -

we need to get ourselves a defensive mid from LaLiga (like Canas at Swansea ) to make our new continental system work -

the cheapest alternative would be Espinoza the Honduran international unfortunately playing for Wigan-

if Jelavic fails to score in our next game again Kone/Anechebe must get a chance to start -

Barkley should also get some free kicks - he strikes it so sweetly - Baines needs to up the quality of his corners as well -

Yea and Stones will be the next one on that list - Jags better pull up his socks - Swansea got in behind him too easily -

we need to get ourselves a defensive mid from LaLiga (like Canas at Swansea ) to make our new continental system work -

the cheapest alternative would be Espinoza the Honduran international unfortunately playing for Wigan-

if Jelavic fails to score in our next game again Kone/Anechebe must get a chance to start -

Barkley should also get some free kicks - he strikes it so sweetly - Baines needs to up the quality of his corners as well -

Espinoza is no where near good enough to play for Everton.

was away on a conferance and was not able to see the game unfortunatly. Seems as if we did ok by the posts here apart from a couple of lapses of concentration? Fair assessment?

The thing is, I tried to keep away from the results as the game was sent at 21.00 where I was, so if I had kept my cool I would have been able to see the match without knowing the result.

However I couldnt keep my cool, instead I followed the entire game by reading your posts in the middle of the conferance.

Cant really vote on MOTM though.

I just hope the conference was learning how to spell conference :-)

His first language isn't english, so there's license there for a few errors.

I didn't get to see the game either. Was involved in other things, but it seems apparent all talk was about Barkley, and I don't get to see the kid play all too often, but there's been some outstanding talk about this individual, with world class resemblance. I wouldn't quite buy into that, but realize he's an effective player and a kid with a future.

For the last time, to come away with a point represents a good result. Not many were seriously thinking we could get three points before time and I expected the opposition to make things difficult. Satisfactory outcome.

Proud of the boys..., yeah should have won it, but ya know what? That was like watching a team you wish everton could be like (if you go back to certain games under Moyes). The players deserve immense credit for how quickly they've tried to adapt a more expansive style of play.

Barkley is the player he was against QPR 2 years ago, it's just that Moyes was such a jealous fuckwit and chose to punish his nativity rather than harness it. I've been there and seen this shit, I'm no Ross Barkley but played in the similar manner and got treated like shite by a defensive clogger of a talentless twat of a manager.

Ok, off the shrinks couch... It was a really encouraging performance and I was actually impressed with Naismith, a very honest player. I wish he was where Fellaini was for their first goal, Fellaini can go for me, lazy twat with a bad attitude. Showed moments of class but he ain't worth not selling for £20m plus.

grow up haf...you're better than that

he might not have suited moyes' style but to call him a jealous fuckwit is pathetic..it really is

Edited by marcopaulo

I think we attacked well, no doubt about it. What does worry me though is our defending. I know, I know, first game of the season and all but we had Distin and Jags at the back who had to do a lot of work and at times gave Norwich to much space. What I worry about is against top teams like Chelsea we will do the same but be punished by the likes of Hazard, Oscar, Lampard. We left our defence to open at times but the attacking was top notch.

Slightly off topic, but is anyone watching Sunday supplement?

They're bemoaning the fact that no teams with "top 4 aspirations" are bringing through any young English players. Did they watch the game yesterday? A 19 year old english lad scored a beauty with his left foot and ran the show! In his 4th PL start.

But of course because he doesn't play for Utd/City/Chelsea it's not worth pointing out. Don't know why I watch it tbh, none of them know fuck all.

No it is true though clubs don't bring in enough English talent. There was an article by Jamie Carragher for the daily mail and he said the FA should ban academies from buying foreign players. In a way I agree, to get the full potential of English talent we need to bring more English players through. Every team is guilty of it. Apart from Rodwell, Barkley and Rooney which young ENGLISH talent have we brought through the ranks. I am excluding Osman, Baines, Jags. As 1) Osman has got potential but England didn't recognize him until recently. 2) We bought Jags and Baines so didn't bring them through the ranks....

The only club who I think actually bring British/English talent through is Southampton and used to be Leeds. In the weekend (Southampton) they had 3 young English players on the pitch who didn't look half bad. Yeah, the big clubs will get more of a mention because they are guilty of not bringing through English talent. Chelsea are buying foreign. Man City, can't think of a young English player they are bringing through the ranks except for Rodwell and Sinclair who both came through the ranks at different clubs.

The only top 4 clubs who I think is trying to bring in British talent is Arsenal and in a way Man Utd with Cleverly, Welbeck, Powell. (Crewe Alexandra)

No it is true though clubs don't bring in enough English talent. There was an article by Jamie Carragher for the daily mail and he said the FA should ban academies from buying foreign players. In a way I agree, to get the full potential of English talent we need to bring more English players through. Every team is guilty of it. Apart from Rodwell, Barkley and Rooney which young ENGLISH talent have we brought through the ranks. I am excluding Osman, Baines, Jags. As 1) Osman has got potential but England didn't recognize him until recently. 2) We bought Jags and Baines so didn't bring them through the ranks....

The only club who I think actually bring British/English talent through is Southampton and used to be Leeds. In the weekend (Southampton) they had 3 young English players on the pitch who didn't look half bad. Yeah, the big clubs will get more of a mention because they are guilty of not bringing through English talent. Chelsea are buying foreign. Man City, can't think of a young English player they are bringing through the ranks except for Rodwell and Sinclair who both came through the ranks at different clubs.

The only top 4 clubs who I think is trying to bring in British talent is Arsenal and in a way Man Utd with Cleverly, Welbeck, Powell. (Crewe Alexandra)

Oh I totally agree with you. Just wound me up how they just bemoaned the fact that nobody's brings through enough English talent but don't pick up the fact a 19 year old English lad just stole the show. I agreed with the fact that we don't bring "enough" through. But when someone does, they completely ignored it because he doesn't play for one of the top 4 clubs.

Oh I totally agree with you. Just wound me up how they just bemoaned the fact that nobody's brings through enough English talent but don't pick up the fact a 19 year old English lad just stole the show. I agreed with the fact that we don't bring "enough" through. But when someone does, they completely ignored it because he doesn't play for one of the top 4 clubs.

They're a mainstream show though and only care about the Top 4. The rest of the league are only there to make the numbers up.

I'm liking Danny Murphey as a pundit already, when talking about Barkley's goal he came up with this:

Gary: With that finish he might have been Spanish...

Danny: Well if he was the goal would have been shown four or five times...

Sums up our attitude towards marquee players.