IGNORED

Duncan Ferguson

Duncan Ferguson

Duncan Ferguson’s two injury-hit spells at Everton were as famous for him tackling burglars as defenders. Both felt the full-force of a muscular approach that frequently broke the laws of football and the land. But to call him a hammer thrower would do an injustice to a goal-scoring ability rare among burly target men. He was never afraid to show how much he cared either, particularly to Liverpool supporters in site of his famous tattoo. His goals kept a poor Everton side up and were never forgotten by supporters, including those who resented the long-ball approach his skills favoured. Sold to Newcastle for £8 million behind the back of his manager in November 1998, his decision to write a love letter to fans in the programme confirmed Joe Royle’s assertion he was “the biggest thing since Dixie.” When he returned four years later after waiving his signing on fee it was to a true hero’s welcome.

www.properplayer.com

If people dont agree he is a club legend they should at least acknowledge his honesty and support for a club that gave him a chance.

I still think he was a much better footballer than people gave him credit for. Who knows, with a better team around him he maybe could have achieved a great deal more.

Still rate his turn on the edge of the area against Man U his best.

He was a liability due to his screw being lose but on the flip-side that made him the great player he was. The determination he had and love for the club has been matched by nobody since and because of this the positives far out-weighted the negatives. I'm proud to say that I saw his last game and goal against WBA. A brilliant moment in Everton's history.

• 6 months later...

If people dont agree he is a club legend they should at least acknowledge his honesty and support for a club that gave him a chance.

I still think he was a much better footballer than people gave him credit for. Who knows, with a better team around him he maybe could have achieved a great deal more.

Still rate his turn on the edge of the area against Man U his best.

No. And I got to be in that category

Ferguson was a useful player for sure, provided some memorable moments and scored some pivotal goals, but can't subscribe to the idea that the player warrants legendary status. This appears to be going over old ground in saying the player doesn't deserve to be held in such high regard as names such as Lawton ,Ratcliffe, Southall and Hickson for example.

could have been so much better for the player, but for all other issues aside (including his decision to divorce himself from the Scots national side) he left a lasting impression on supporters here and over time became something of a fan favorite, but does not warrant a place with a very select few from this clubs history that are deserving of legendary status. Was unable to operate the above link but good news for the individual if it's indeed working in a first team coach capacity.

Big Dunc has joined Everton's first team coaching staff.

He will now perform a key role in Martinez's back-room team alongside assistant manager Graeme Jones, first-team development coach Dennis Lawrence and goalkeeping coach Inaki Bergara.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2014-02-20/duncan-ferguson-joins-everton-s-coaching-staff/?

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/02/20/roberto-martinez-backs-duncan-ferguson-for-future-managerial-role-after-everton-promotion/128387/?

So.... we have gone from having Moyes, Round and Neville to Martinez, Jones and Big Dunc.

I think its a great appointment, he's clearly doing something right, he's a tremendous character and whether you think he is a legend or not - he was iconic.

Having him in the changing room rallying or on the bench eyeballing the opposition can only be a good thing. He's no "yes man", he isn't going to watch us get bullied, nor allow the players to accept it.

No. And I got to be in that category

Ferguson was a useful player for sure, provided some memorable moments and scored some pivotal goals, but can't subscribe to the idea that the player warrants legendary status. This appears to be going over old ground in saying the player doesn't deserve to be held in such high regard as names such as Lawton ,Ratcliffe, Southall and Hickson for example.

could have been so much better for the player, but for all other issues aside (including his decision to divorce himself from the Scots national side) he left a lasting impression on supporters here and over time became something of a fan favorite, but does not warrant a place with a very select few from this clubs history that are deserving of legendary status. Was unable to operate the above link but good news for the individual if it's indeed working in a first team coach capacity.

Ferguson played for Everton in one of its darkest periods ever.

I'm sure if he was part of the 85 team he would be down as a legend.

With Mike, doubt he'd have played. He wasn't AS good as people make out, his legendary status was carved from his attitude and dedication, rather than his ability.

I like him, I just don't get the legendary status, especially in the same breath as Dixie, Ball and Young.

Edited by tenaciousj

With Mike, doubt he'd have played. He wasn't AS good as people make out, his legendary status was carved from his attitude and dedication, rather than his ability.

I like him, I just don't get the legendary status, especially in the same breath as Dixie, Ball and Young.

I'd say he had the ability just not the dedication.

I actually had an in depth chat with Sharpie about Duncan a short while back. Lets just say this, Sharpie had no doubts whatsoever about his ability - he said Ferguson could have been one of the very best as he had absolutely "everything".

He did also in the same breath say that he was at fault for not realising that potential. He never held back on that one. He really likes him as a person too.

Could he have played instead of either Gray or Sharp? Yes, that team of 85 would have had Steven and Sheedy planting crosses on his nut time after time.

Some of the rumoured stories coming out at the time of duncs career where shocking for a professional footballer. How can he dictate to others now. Not really a role model, but a very good footballer / true blue.

What rumours were they?

He wasnt exactly a renowned party animal during his playing days, unless there is smoething gowing on at these pigeon racing events that they dont tell us about!

Lucas Radebe, South Africa & Leeds Utd centre half, built like a tank and all round nice guy said something like this about playing against Ferguson; "I've never known anything like him, He's like a freight train. First you meet his forearm, then his elbow, then his shoulder, quickly followed by the rest of him. You just close your eyes and hope you come out OK."

snorting beak in yhe back of the eagle and child before it closed. staying there all day.......tune in for plenty more stories from b.Angell's runtime next week :-)

Ah yeah... The old coke head footballer who never tested positive despite them getting regularly tested...

He liked a pint and his pink champagne and was a generous bloke...

Guest blueboy122

snorting beak in yhe back of the eagle and child before it closed. staying there all day.......tune in for plenty more stories from b.Angell's runtime next week :-)

You really are an idiot

No one tunes into any of your shite that you serve up. Am not sure your tuned in yourself,