IGNORED

Roberto Martinez interview

efc1111

He's just said "we aren't a team who sits back and defend we don't do that. We are a dynamic team and we need to keep attacking"

That means we're going to be exposed a lot this season. The 3 man midfield did not work today.

Edited by MiguelCotto

He's just said "we aren't a team who sits back and defend we don't do that. We are a dynamic team and we need to keep attacking"

That means we're going to be exposed a lot this season. The 3 man midfield did not work today.

And this is what worries me about him...

We were 2-0 up but no way are we going to make some defensive subs to kill the game off.. No we're an attacking team it's what we do so bollocks to it if it costs us a game, who cares at least we stuck to our principles !!

Nar not for me thanks.

And this is what worries me about him...

We were 2-0 up but no way are we going to make some defensive subs to kill the game off.. No we're an attacking team it's what we do so bollocks to it if it costs us a game, who cares at least we stuck to our principles !!

Nar not for me thanks.

Chelsea are the best at parking the bus! Nothing wrong with parking a bus if it gets results

Chelsea are the best at parking the bus! Nothing

wrong with parking a bus if it gets results

We were 2-0 up he should have switched to a more defensive formation and seen the game out. Arsenal were getting more and more frustrated as time went on he should have put Besic on to give us more protection

Makes me laugh. All we heard when Moyes was here making defensive subs was "what the hell is he doing! We are inviting them on to us now!"

Now Martinez is here and does the polar opposite people are like "what the hell is he doing, we need a defender on to sure up the lead"

Also funny how questions like this start being asked after a dissapointing result. Can't seem to remember a problem with his subs for most of last season? If anything he was praised for it! We made the most goal scoring subs at one point last season if I remember correctly.

People need a reality check I think. I'm still gutted about yesterday but it's the old cliché of "it shows how far we've come" that we are dissapointed with a draw against Arsenal, in a game we deserved to win. Let's not forget we are slow starters generally and we still have issues to iron out in what is going to be a loooooong season.

Relax guys. Bit early to be playing the blame game.

Makes me laugh. All we heard when Moyes was here making defensive subs was "what the hell is he doing! We are inviting them on to us now!"

Now Martinez is here and does the polar opposite people are like "what the hell is he doing, we need a defender on to sure up the lead"

Also funny how questions like this start being asked after a dissapointing result. Can't seem to remember a problem with his subs for most of last season? If anything he was praised for it! We made the most goal scoring subs at one point last season if I remember correctly.

People need a reality check I think. I'm still gutted about yesterday but it's the old cliché of "it shows how far we've come" that we are dissapointed with a draw against Arsenal, in a game we deserved to win. Let's not forget we are slow starters generally and we still have issues to iron out in what is going to be a loooooong season.

The key word in your post Goodison mate is POLAR OPPOSITE. That's the problem there has to be a happy medium. Moyes was far too defensive minded Martinez is fat too attack minded. I'm all for keeping at a team but there comes a time in a game when you're 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go where the fans will appreciate him shoring the game up and seeing it out.

All the top coaches do it. Alex Ferguson was a master of it so is Mourinho. Martinez showed either naivety or just plain disregard for what he had.

I hope he learns from it but I worry he's that set in his approach and mindset towards attack he wont. If he doesn't it'll cost us like it did today.

The key word in your post Goodison mate is POLAR OPPOSITE. That's the problem there has to be a happy medium. Moyes was far too defensive minded Martinez is fat too attack minded. I'm all for keeping at a team but there comes a time in a game when you're 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go where the fans will appreciate him shoring the game up and seeing it out.

All the top coaches do it. Alex Ferguson was a master of it so is Mourinho. Martinez showed either naivety or just plain disregard for what he had.

I hope he learns from it but I worry he's that set in his approach and mindset towards attack he wont. If he doesn't it'll cost us like it did today.

I understand your point, but out of curiousity, what changes would you have brought on? Alcaraz? Stones?

We conceded late on against Leicester when he brought on a defender (Coleman)?

I think his hands were tied slightly in that he didn't want to sub a sub (if that makes sense) in taking Osman off and bringing on Besic which would have been the only sub I could see that would have been of any benefit. Osman was the one clearly running on empty and you could possibly point the finger at Martinez as he should know that Osman was never going to be able to complete 80+ mins of football so should not have come on for Pienaar so early on.

I just think it's a bit mad to be slating the manager for something he did very well last season so early into this season when if you look at the bigger picture 2 draws isn't all that bad considering the fixtures. We've deserved 6 though IMO. And don't get me wrong there is definitely room for improvement both from Martinez and from the players but I wouldn't get on his back about his substitutions and criticising his philosophy because of a disappointing result.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Exactly, everyone said they couldn't cope with watching everton under moyes. Getting early goals then defending for 80 minutes. At least with Martinez we still create good chances to kill the game off.

I think everyone is forgetting to realise Baines's run, Mirallas one v one, Mirallas free-kick, lukaku four v three when he dine a shit back heal. Playing this way will kill teams off and makes me feel far more confident watching them. We just need to defend better that's all.

I think we need a world class centre back to kick distin and Jags up the arse. Stones and alcaraz are not going to do this.

I understand your point, but out of curiousity, what changes would you have brought on? Alcaraz? Stones?

We conceded late on against Leicester when he brought on a defender (Coleman)?

I think his hands were tied slightly in that he didn't want to sub a sub (if that makes sense) in taking Osman off and bringing on Besic which would have been the only sub I could see that would have been of any benefit. Osman was the one clearly running on empty and you could possibly point the finger at Martinez as he should know that Osman was never going to be able to complete 80+ mins of football so should not have come on for Pienaar so early on.

I just think it's a bit mad to be slating the manager for something he did very well last season so early into this season when if you look at the bigger picture 2 draws isn't all that bad considering the fixtures. We've deserved 6 though IMO. And don't get me wrong there is definitely room for improvement both from Martinez and from the players but I wouldn't get on his back about his substitutions and criticising his philosophy because of a disappointing result.

I quoted Romeys post above first g mate to show you that's exactly what I thought happened.

Yes he should have had the balls to pull Osman off for Besic to give us some more bite in midfield. Osman was being bypassed and we were getting over run dropping deeper And deeper letting them play little flicks and 1-2 keepball in and around our box it's suicide against a side like Arsenal they are brilliant playing that game.

I wouldn't of even put Osman on in the first place to be honest but that's another debate entirely.

Although I don't think Osman was as bad as some are saying, he showed flashes but was inevitably fucked for the last 15-20 mins

The problem was the narrowness of the midfield. It's plain fact the wingers were told to stay up! We had 7 men behind the ball 90 % of the time. Arsenal were just doubling up out wide time and time again. We invited them to attack because of the tactics!

The problem was the narrowness of the midfield. It's plain fact the wingers were told to stay up! We had 7 men behind the ball 90 % of the time. Arsenal were just doubling up out wide time and time again. We invited them to attack because of the tactics!

Which is all well and good when you need goals or there's still plenty of time left but art 75 mins gone and 2-0 up it's suicide.

For the first goal, we had 8 men in the box including the goalkeeper, they had the crosser and two other players, only one of which was actually in front of goal, the other one was next to the crosser. The second goal again we have 8 people back vs 3 Arsenal players (including the crosser). You can try to blame defensive organization for it, but it's mostly just defenders not doing their pretty easy (given the numerical advantage) job imo.

Spot on!

Narrowness in midfield had nothing to do with it! Plus you always defend narrow against Arsenal anyway. You watch how narrow Chelsea are and they are supposedly the best at 'parking the bus'. Like Steve_E says, we had PLENTY of men back.

For the first goal, we had 8 men in the box including the goalkeeper, they had the crosser and two other players, only one of which was actually in front of goal, the other one was next to the crosser. The second goal again we have 8 people back vs 3 Arsenal players (including the crosser). You can try to blame defensive organization for it, but it's mostly just defenders not doing their pretty easy (given the numerical advantage) job imo.

Spot on. First goal we had Baines, Jags and Distin marking no-one and Osman let the one player they had in the box go. The cross shouldnt have come in but even then we had 2 guys in position to stop him doing so but they didnt.

Is it just me or did anyone see a bit of disappointment in his eyes when asked about Barkley at the end of the press conference today. His mood seemed to shift and he just said "it's the second week now his knees still in a brace so no" when asked if there was any news.

I was just reading Klose's comments about Van Gaal. He noted that LvG is very difficult to work with, intimidates, and nothing you do is ever good enough. This is how the tyrant manages. What a contrast to Roberto Martinez, who allows his players to express themselves, take risks, and enjoy themselves. If I was a player, I know which approach I would prefer and would excel under.