IGNORED

Roberto Martinez interview

efc1111

Lol Its a good job Roberto isnt a yes man and will stand up to the Board then isnt it?

Oh hark at you.... I think he has stood up to the board. Your old poster boy on the other hand needed £70k a week to tow the party line. Back in your Moyes box with lawrenson, Cahill and kilbane.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed watching this interview. Martinez is a man comfortable in his own skin, and he definitely marches to the beat of his own drum. How many managers would start the interview talking about the importance of young players continuing their education, for example? How many managers have never touched a drop of alcohol? How many managers would openly say that he's proud of his team after they lost at home to Sunderland? How many players' role model is their dad? Whether we agree with these things or not, it's clear that they are important to Martinez the person. Personally, I find him a breath of fresh air. I know it's almost an hour's broadcast, but this interview really shines the light on Martinez and his approach to football and life in general.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Great interivew and some nice little nuggets there, including him saying he would love to have been a player like Ross Barkley but thinks he was more like Gareth Barry :) Well worth a watch/listen if you haven't already.

Yeah he was definitely more like Barry, his mate Isidro Diaz was the Barkley of the team. I do think Martinez could have played at a slightly higher level than he ever managed to get to, he was a tidy player. Not saying PL quality though

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty excited for the upcoming academic players being promoted and "hopefully" the great signings that we will have. I remember RM mentioned he wanted two players from the academy promoted every 2 years, or 1 per season. Don't know how that compares to other clubs but that seemed like a proper/ambitious goal to me.

I think it's a great model. It shows that unlike moyes, he will be keen to give the Jose baxters, Adam forshaws, proper game time and the ability for the club to classify them with a transfer fee, so that way if they are championship quality or lower prem having proven such in games then we can get a fee in for them.

I understand sheedys frustration under moyes, it must be great to know that his hard work with the youth has its rewards under Martinez.

I'm hearing very good things about what's happening at finch farm, each young player has a specific map according to development needs all with a view of making first team. Of course not all will make it but they know the interim goals they need to aim for.

Looking forward to seeing ledson, Kenny, browning, long all make their next steps.

The ones that were good enough played under Moyes. Baxter got the odd game... Anichebe, Vaughan,Rodwell, Gosling, Chadwick, Osman, Hibbert it's only Barkley who got held back. IMO.

The others just weren't good enough and that's why they didn't make the PL grade.

Edited by MiguelCotto

The ones that were good enough played under Moyes. Baxter got the odd game... Anichebe, Vaughan,Rodwell, Gosling, Chadwick, Osman, Hibbert it's only Barkley who got held back. IMO.

The others just weren't good enough and that's why they didn't make the PL grade.

The odd game does nothing tho. Vic especially didnt get the game time when he needed it, JV was constantly injured and hard to argue either way, I dont think Baxter got 90 mins and Hibbert/Osman came through at a time when we didnt have much of a choice Hibbert made his debut before Moyes was at the club and probably only got his chance cos of the injuries to Watson. Osman was 23 ish I think before he played regularly (and played as a winger). Rodwell did get game time but got injured yet thats it over a 10 year reign.

Im not saying that the players who have dropped down the leagues and done well would ever have made it as Premier League players but they were never given a real chance despite the small squad, crippling injury lists and the poor form of the first team. Its too coincidental that in Martinez's first season that 2 players who were either never used or sparingly used now have England caps.

As far as I am concerned, the whole issue of so many youngsters not being good enough means that the set up is not good enough. The culture is not good enough. It means that work needs to be done. We have the facilities. It needs consistency from top to bottom. A one club ethos. Each coach at every age group buys into the same philosophy.

Honestly, I believe Roberto will do this. He has the vision, the personality. He will keep learning and keep getting better. Believe.

The odd game does nothing tho. Vic especially didnt get the game time when he needed it, JV was constantly injured and hard to argue either way, I dont think Baxter got 90 mins and Hibbert/Osman came through at a time when we didnt have much of a choice Hibbert made his debut before Moyes was at the club and probably only got his chance cos of the injuries to Watson. Osman was 23 ish I think before he played regularly (and played as a winger). Rodwell did get game time but got injured yet thats it over a 10 year reign.

Im not saying that the players who have dropped down the leagues and done well would ever have made it as Premier League players but they were never given a real chance despite the small squad, crippling injury lists and the poor form of the first team. Its too coincidental that in Martinez's first season that 2 players who were either never used or sparingly used now have England caps.

This all day long.

Moyes actually offered Baxter a contract - security and a place at the club he grew up at and he left as a free agent... that says it all to me. Moyes thought he was good enough to keep but clearly not good enough to play (or to have played).

Was Baxter good enough? we will never know. Back in 2008 (6 years ago) he scored a pearler in a pre season friendly which screamed of "ability". Physically/Athletically he wasn't in the same league as Rooney or Barkley but they are freaks. Technically I have no doubts.

So that brings me on to it, I stated about Wengers philosophy that if a player is pretty much technically where he will be at 17. For me I looked at Baxter and did see a very technically acomplished player, good with both feet, skilful, great balance, great passing and could strike a ball. That was at 17. From that age he basically stagnated - played in the reserves where he basically wasn't tested and brought along.

Like anything in sport, if you play at a level within yourself you will not get better, play squash against an easy opponent and you will stay at the same level, pitch yourself against a better level and you will learn smarter tactics, new angles, strategies speed of thought in order to beat them. I feel he wasted that development time and in reality he has slipped down the ladder too much.

Baxter must have irritated Moyes, for the very reason that fans knew about him and his qualities - Moyes was being pestered to give him a chance, the same way he was regarding Barkley. Now this is we get to where Moyes disgusted me....

Baxter: 2011, some 3 years after scoring his pre season beauty we were trailing 2-0 to Bolton in an awful team performance with Moyes sat slumped in his chair as if it had nothing at all to do with him. 78 minutes of hoof ball made Moyes realise that this Bolton side was more than capable in dealing with it with Gary Cahill having Anichebe and Fellaini comfortably dealt with.

So what does Moyes do? Throws on Baxter for his 2nd appearance in 2 years... I remember feeling sick for the lad, there he was all eager and chomping at the bit and he was supposed to be changing the game when all the other players were trudging round. Moyes sat there unmoved for the remainder of the game. One thing stood out for me though, Arteta took a corner and instead of hitting it to near/far post - pinged it to Baxter who was lurking 25 yards out to hit on the volley. I took that at a massive statement - Arteta knew that Baxter had it in his locker to do something with it and he did get a good strike away that flew wide. Was it because he thought it was the best way to score, or because he knew that Baxter had something in him that deserved an opportuniuty? That game told me all I needed confirmed about Moyes, he was a bully to younger players, a flippant "don't care, go on, show me what you've got then mr superstar" Baxter made one more appearance before leaving the club. 7 appearances in total, a joke when you consider the amount of games where he could have had some time.

Barkley:- MOTM against QPR, made one mistake against Blackburn and had the rug pulled out from under him - left in rerserves and to go to lower level clubs where his confidence was slowly eaten away.

When he did get his chances they were the most ridiculous inclusions, started on the wing against Spurs, got the last 10 minutes previously in the same position against a physical Stoke side. Then when he had to play him instead of Osman away to Arsenal and he shined in his "correct position" Moyes churlishly compared his performance as "Okay" comparing it as better than his performance out of position against Spurs.

The fact was It wasn't an okay performance - it was a very good performance where he bossed a very good midfield.

The point is, Barkley and Baxter are the two big hopes who Everton fans kept on their radar... we wanted to see them and Moyes knew this. What about the poor sods who weren't so richly touted that we knew nothing about??? Who maybe the likes of sheedy believed deserved a chance....

Hence Sheedy:- ‘In my seven years Moyes showed no interest in our youth team.’ - coincided with the night that Adam Forshaw won player of the year.

Its all very well saying that "Forshaw was not going to be good enough" - you only know if you give them a chance at the higher level.

• 1 month later...