IGNORED

Who will likely be in our first team squad?

DLK

As mentioned in another thread, I would anticipate the following line-up - assuming a 3-5-2 formation.

Howard

Alcaraz Jagielka Distin

Coleman Baines

McCarthy Barry Barkley

Kone Lukaku

Depending on the opposition, I can see Deulefeu, Pienaar, and Gibson being used as starters, too. Robles would cover Howard, Stones and Heitinga would cover in defence, Oviedo would cover for Baines, Pienaar and Gibson would cover in midfield, and Deulefeu and Vellios would cover up-front. Frankly, based on their performances to date, Osman, Mirallas, and Jelavic need to prove their form in training before returning to the first team. Also, Naismith and Hibbert are going to struggle to get back into the team.

I reckon we'll be using a squad of about 13 to 14 starters before we really get a stable 11 going. Heck, chances are that that'll be the situation all season.

I'd say that the back 5 of Howard, Jags, Distin, Coleman and Baines is effectively locked in. Martinez might occasionally draft in Alcaraz to switch to 3 at the back, but I think it'll be used more as a tactical change against certain teams, rather than a permanent one.

Central midfield is where it gets trickier to see clear starters. Before the season I would've had Gibson down as a nailed on starter. Considering the purchase of McCarthy though, as well as current Gibson's injury, I think it makes more sense to go with a partnership of Barry and McCarthy at the moment.

Regarding the advanced midfield role Barkley seems to have made this position his own. I wouldn't be surprised though to see the likes of Pienaar, Osman, Naismith, McCarthy and even Kone and Lukaku given a run at times in this role as fatigue sets in for young Ross in his first real season at prem level, and also when such changes are deemed tactically appropriate.

Pienaar and Mirallas should occupy the wide midfield positions by default at present, but look for Gerard to get his chances to impress from the bench, before he properly settles and challenges for regular starts.

Regarding up top it's anyone's guess as to who'll start. I reckon we'll see continued starts from Jelavic until Kone is deemed to have reached full fitness (that could be in time for the Chelsea game for all we know) and while Lukaku finds his feet at the club.

Basically this is the team I'd expect to line up against Chelsea:

------------------Howard------------------

Coleman---Jagielka---Distin---Baines

-----------McCarthy-----Barry-----------

------------------Barkley------------------

-----------------------------Pienaar-------

-------Mirallas------------------------------

---------------Jelavic/Kone---------------

I'm hoping Gibbo can find a spot in the team at some stage :(

Just one different player to yours and a different line-up.

.............................Howard........................

... Coleman... Jagielka... Distin... Baines..

............................ Barry ..........................

.Mirallas... McCarthy... Barkley... Pienaar.

........................ Lukaku ...........................

Robles, Kone, Jelavic, Oviedo, Stones, Gibson, Deulefeu, Osman, and I'd like to see Kennedy pushing himself forward this season.

Looks a strong Squad.

this looks a very good team and would be my pick.

Robles, Kone, Jelavic, Oviedo, Stones, Gibson, Deulefeu, Osman, and I'd like to see Kennedy pushing himself forward this season.

Looks a strong Squad.

I could see this, I could also see Mirallas switching to the left and Deulofeu on the right with Pienaar on the bench.

Looks a strong Squad.

Can't look past this as what we'll see for the majority of games.

Gibson could find himself a frustrated man this season.

Howard, Coleman, Jags, Distin, Baines, Pienaar, McCarthy, Barry, Mirallas, Barkley, Lukaku.

Looks like a strong team on paper, but games were never won on paper. I really do like Gibson but against Chelsea I don't think he will be rushed into the team he will ease his way back into the team. Osman is going to be dropped and come on in the 80+ minute now and again if we are winning and take Barkleys place when he comes on...

McCarthy and Gibson to me are similar players. *(Agree to disagree)* McCarthy is a good passer on the ball, makes runs, gets stuck in. Gibson is a good passer on the ball, doesn't make as many runs but does get stuck in when needed.

Looks a strong Squad.

Agreed.. I would just love to see Gerard come in for more than the last 5 minutes of play. He was quite exciting to watch, creating so many opportunities in his short time on the pitch last match.

Edited by DLK

Agreed.. I would just love to see Gerard come in for more than the last 5 minutes of play. He was quite exciting to watch, creating so many opportunities in his short time on the pitch last match.

Also, do you really believe Lukaku will start vs Chelsea?

No, he cant. Thats just my idea of the regular 1st team Squad. We are well covered in all departments now and looking good.

I'm still at a loss why anyone would play Jelavic and Mirallas in their current form.

I agree with this, from what I saw at the Cardiff game Kone and Delofeu deserve a start ahead of Mirallas/Jelavic. Obviously once Lukaku is eligible I fully expect him to start in place of Jelavic/Kone. Despite him being on loan, we need goals in the team as soon as possible. Hopefully, the competition will bring the best out of the other players.

smartass! :shaking fist:

I assume he would have to upload into photobucket or something though?

Ya ya... http://eplindex.com/tacticsboard/ then screenshot, then paste to paint, open, crop, upload to photobucket and the rest is history. Had to manually put in McCarthy & Barry, but I assume it will be updated in time. Quite handy actually.

I don't think Chelsea is the game where we'd be starting D-Lo. Maybe Kone ahead of Jelavic, but I still belive that Kone is out of form.

Edited by Droobie

Supposedly our submitted 25 man squad list.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8908997/every-premier-league-club-has-confirmed-their-squads-for-the-new-season

Everton

25 squad players

Player (Home Grown)

Gibson, Darron Thomas Daniel (Yes)

Hibbert, Anthony James (Yes)

Jagielka, Philip Nikodem (Yes)

Osman, Leon (Yes)

Baines, Leighton John (Yes)

Barry, Gareth (Yes)

McCarthy, James (Yes)

Alcaraz, Antolin (No)

Coleman, Seamus (No)

Distin, Sylvain (No)

Gueye, Magaye Serigne Falilou Dit Nelson (No)

Heitinga, John Gijsbert Alan (No)

Howard, Timothy Matthew (No)

Jelavic, Nikica (No)

Kone, Arouna (No)

Mirallas Y Castillo, Kevin Antonio Joel Gislain (No)

Naismith, Steven John (No)

Oviedo Jimenez, Bryan Josue (No)

Pienaar, Steven (No)

Robles Blazquez, Joel (No).

Am I being blind, where's Barkley? or Lukaku? or Deulofeu?

And i've just realised, that's only 20.

Edited by tenaciousj

Supposedly our submitted 25 man squad list.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8908997/every-premier-league-club-has-confirmed-their-squads-for-the-new-season

Am I being blind, where's Barkley? or Lukaku? or Deulofeu?

And i've just realised, that's only 20.

"Players of 21 or under do not have to be listed in the main squad. U21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad."

• 2 weeks later...

I think that most positions are set at the moment.

Howard will continue and the back 4 with Coleman, Jags, Dustbin and Baines will also play against West Ham.

I believe Barry, Osman and Barkley will continue and Mirallas has his place. If Pienaar is fit he will play at the expense of Naismith.

Lukaku will start against West Ham.