IGNORED

Nikica Jelavic

why hes worth that at todays prices.

That's just it, though - today's prices. There have always been people who have been bought and sold for way more than others because they demand that price based on their ability and the availability of players of the same calibre. I'm Everton through and through and would be chuffed to get £10m for him towards our cause but he is average, at best, and if the going rate for an average player is £10m then football hasn't got long left. In my view he's had a good 4 months with us when he first joined and although he has a strike rate of a goal just over every two games that was helped by his first superb 4 months.

I'm happy for him to prove me wrong but I just don't see him as being worth £10m.

I don't think we need a replacement if he goes. Koné first choice, Anichebe on the bench and Vellios as a third option will do for me. Use the money to buy a central midfielder (or another winger). I definitely wouldn't want Bent either. His talents don't fit in the profile required by Martinez (and he'd have to be willing to take a pretty big pay cut as well).

We would need another striker IMO. Vellios (as much as I love him) doesn't come across as an out and out goal getter, more of a hold up forward, same as Anichebe and potentially, the same as Kone.

If Jelavic does go, we'd need a poacher for sure.

Disagree completely. Jelavic should be shipped out because he's a poacher imo so we definitely shouldn't get another one back. Martinez will be playing one up top, a forward who can't play shouldn't get any game time at all for the system to work.

Edited by Steve_E

Funny thing with Jelavic, at the start I seen enough to get ultra excited that we had found our goal machine - one touch - bang. If he missed then he wouldn't worry too much as he will get the next.

A theory I heard at the time was this as an indication of a problem "Maybe he doesn't take a touch because he doesnt trust himself, as soon as he starts thinking then we will see"

I dismissed this, but the idea didnt go away, and the more I seen of him last year gave this theory some credibility. His touch ain't great at all... was this the reason that he prefered to hit rather than control? His movement is good, so he should in theory get inot goalscoring positions, but yep, his touch wasnt there.

For a reputed £6m I don't think there is much merit in selling him at present, if Martinez can get him to any where near the level he was at in terms of finding the net then he is a £10-15m striker.

First thing is that it is a kick in the teeth that he said" the Everton manager wnats to sell him" that is disgusting.

If we want to sell him we will tell himourselves. for that alone i wouldnt deal with them, disgraceful to try to upset the player like that.

Secondly, although i dont think he is worth 10m that some are saying, i think he deserves another chance to prove himself. many strikers have had bad patches. is Torres worth 5m now because of his lean patches? of course not.

Jela has not proved himself yet, but at the same time he has shown enough for me to think that he has more to offer. His general play last season was good. lots of energy and effort. just his finishing was off, and even then he was a slither away from really pushing forward.

Just for pushing us on in his first season he deserves another crack.

Following the speculation about Nikica Jelavic's future, Hamburg's sporting director Oliver Kreuzer has claimed that the Bundesliga club have been offered the chance to sign the Everton striker. Kreuzer is weighing up the situation, but confirmed Hamburg will have to offload players in order to be able to afford a deal for Jelavic.
by Mark Buckingham 3:09 PM

That's from SSN's Live Transfer Clockwatch. Doesn't look like a sale to Hamburg will be happening soon.

Following the speculation about Nikica Jelavic's future, Hamburg's sporting director Oliver Kreuzer has claimed that the Bundesliga club have been offered the chance to sign the Everton striker. Kreuzer is weighing up the situation, but confirmed Hamburg will have to offload players in order to be able to afford a deal for Jelavic.
by Mark Buckingham 3:09 PM

That's from SSN's Live Transfer Clockwatch. Doesn't look like a sale to Hamburg will be happening soon.

Does this mean we are touting him round for sale then? That's shit i reckon he deserves another chance, if he could just get that confidence back he would be a far better striker than Kone imo.

Does this mean we are touting him round for sale then? That's shit i reckon he deserves another chance, if he could just get that confidence back he would be a far better striker than Kone imo.

agree he's a better poacher, natural finisher.

Don't agree we're touting him round. More like "you guys still interested? We might consider if you pay X million"

- Jelavic gets upset when Kone is brought in

- Jelavic wants to see RM to understand where he fits

- Agent smells money and tells the media "Jelavic demands to know why he's not #1"

- Agent calls one of two clubs previously interested

- Hamburg duly oblige by returning his call and expressing interest

- Agent tells Hamburg team that Everton is shopping around for buyers (whether true or not is immaterial)

- Hamburg team repeat this story to the media, hoping to unsettle Jelavic and improve their chances of a good deal

- Agent laughs all the way to the bank until Everton either do business or stomp on the suggestion

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think there was much in the story anyway. Maybe Newcastle will put a bid in they are desperate for a striker. Id be happy to keep Jelly but there is talk of him upsetting the dressing room a bit and allegedly had a run with Super Kev last year. He is a striker that just wants to be in the box and probably is more suited in a 4-4-2 which wont be the case under Roberto.

Don't think there was much in the story anyway. Maybe Newcastle will put a bid in they are desperate for a striker. Id be happy to keep Jelly but there is talk of him upsetting the dressing room a bit and allegedly had a run with Super Kev last year. He is a striker that just wants to be in the box and probably is more suited in a 4-4-2 which wont be the case under Roberto.

You believe that rumor? He just doesn't seem like the type. I take him as being well liked among the group. They all seem to believe in his ability and get genuinely excited when he scores.

Guest Nikica

He is suited in a 433/343/4231 as long as he plays as the main striker. In that case he has the technical ability to link up with the floating players around him and at the same time he gets plenty of service in the box. I certainly don't think he's best in a 442 although he was predominantly used in one for Rangers.

• 2 months later...