IGNORED

Oviedo's injury

Louis

Good news then. So what's next? Is he going to be ok for Saturday?

Will he be in plaster for months?

i reckon plaster for 8-10 weeks, the rest rehabilitation (6-8 weeks). If there had been bone fragments, could've meant extra surgery or extensive physio before rehabilitation (which depending on the break / size and number of fragments, could've ended his career)

He had an operation on Monday evening and Everton's Head of Medical Services, Danny Donachie, says the first stage in the Costa Rican’s period of rehabilitation had a positive outcome.

Donachie told evertonfc.com: “Bryan's surgery was a big success and he is in a comfortable and stable condition.

“He fractured his tibia and his fibula and they were displaced, so we weren’t able to put them back into place until Monday. He had surgery last night when a rod was put through his tibia, which means he will come back stronger than before.

“It was a clean break and that means that there are no pieces of bone. Sometimes when there are small fragments of bone in the area, it can be difficult to deal with. But these are clean breaks, so they will put the bones back into position and it will heal well from there.

“We will be working hard to get him back as quickly as we can.”

Sounds frigging horrific and though not being a medical man I fail to see how he will come back stronger with a rod through his bone? Fair enough, the rod might be stronger than his bone and so not snap quite so easily but it's a bit of a grand statement, for me, though I hope Donachie's right.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blueboy122

Cant be from after the injury.

I would imagine he would be plastered up etc

I certainly would think he would be on crutches for a month or two and struggling to walk.

Edited by Romey 1878

http://toffeeweb.com/season/13-14/news/26825.html

These seem to think it's now.

to be honest, I wouldnt be that surprised. Hes had metal rods inserted as they were 2 clean breaks, so I would imagine the majority of it is muscle work from now on. Just because hes on the exercise bike doesnt mean its in a gear with resistance, could just be to allow him to go through the motion of extending and retracting his leg in a guided manner.

After I broke my hip I able to stand on my leg again after a very short time but the issue was muscle strength and getting confidence back in the joint. Great to see him getting straight back on with things, his attitude is not far short of inspirational!