IGNORED

Landon Donovan

we need to keep lando. He will only get better as he continues to settle into the Enlgish game. We need his pace down the side, and once Coleman comes into the reckoning for the starting XI, we'll look extremely sharp on both wings (especially if we can get Pienaar signed up for another couple of years!)

6.5 mil is peanuts for a player of Lando's caliber.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/everton-boss-moyes-not-confident-donovan-stay-636771

Everton manager David Moyes is not confident of holding onto Landon Donovan for longer than his original loan deal.

Following the 2-1 win over Chelsea midweek, in which Donovan was a major influence, Moyes admitted that it would be hard to keep the USA international around at Goodison Park.

“That was Landon's best game for us," Moyes said after the triumph over Chelsea.

"But I don't think we'll be able to keep him when his three-month loan expires unfortunately."

Donovan joined the Toffees in early January and will remain at the club until late March but by the looks of it, a move for a loan extension does not seem likely.

Taken from the Daily Post article on the OS:

PHIL NEVILLE has urged manager David Moyes to do his utmost in retaining the services of loan star Landon Donovan next year.

The American has emerged as a pivotal figure in Everton’s recent revival and with his stay at the club up next month, captain Neville says his manager should do all he can to get him back.

Moyes has already conceded defeat in trying to sign the US international on a permanent deal with Donovan having just signed a new contract at parent club LA Galaxy. But Neville believes the impact Donovan has made on the Goodison outfit and the ease with which he has integrated in to the Everton squad means it makes perfect sense for Moyes to try and bring the player back to Merseyside when the January 2011 transfer window opens.

Skipper Neville hailed the display of Donovan in Wednesday night’s 2-1 win over Premier League leaders Chelsea saying it was it was his most significant appearance in the Royal Blue shirt.

Neville said: “Landon played really well and I think it was probably his biggest game for the club, he was up against Ashley Cole who we know likes to bomb forward, even though he is a left back, but Landon totally made him go the other way and totally caused him problems. He won the penalty and set up the first goal and in terms of players we have got, Landon offers us something which we haven’t got and that is pace. He has fit in superbly and we are just a little bit sad he has to leave in a month’s time.

“It is what it is, Landon is here for two months and we have just got to accept that and let’s just hope we can get him back for another two months next year.

“He loves living in LA and loves playing in the MLS but we have just got to accept he will not be staying but he has been fantastic for us and let’s hope that continues.

“He has come in at a time when we needed a bit of a spark and he has provided that and he has fitted in superbly.”

So he signed a deal with LA Galaxy? What was all that talk of a 3mill deal being enough to sign him? How do the press get away with making stuff up?!

OK....If we can't keep Donovan, but he has shown us what we are lacking, then.....

.....Go out and buy someone who can do a similar job.That would be a bit like buying what you need.Speed, directness, come on Moysie, you've found gems for other positions, where are your scouts?

Edited by Blue 250

I really think Moyes is letting Landon off to easily. He has been great so far and I believe that he would be like this for years to come. He was ready for a move away from the MLS. He has fit in great at Everton and is loving it there. I think if things could get penned out and agreed on then he would stay. I love the U.S.A. but the MLS is not a fit for Landon. He is way too good for the MLS. I really hope he stays at Everton.

I understand the conversion, but I don't think it's true. I'm quite certain that, unless Landon negotiated a very good get out clause, that the MLS and the Galaxy will not let him go for less than about 8 million pounds. I know it's all pure speculation at this point, but he really is, along with Becks, the financial engine of the entire league over here.

Admittedly he didn't have a good game, but I wouldn't say woeful. To be fair, Sporting pretty much marked him out of the game and he didn't get much support from Neville.

Neville tried to support on a few occasions and I remember plenty of times Neville was looking for Donovan to move into space, to make a run but Donovan just didn't move. He was poor last night.

If you notice, the teams LD seems to do well are the teams who invariably attack more than defend, the more adventurous teams. He has not been as effective against teams like Wigan and Birmingham. Tonight, Sporting played in a similar way. No coincidence that LD wasn't as effective, I don't think...

From an American forum, but posted by a UK Everton supporter. I think I tend to agree with this assessment. Donovan's main asset for us is his ability to break with pace and to play the right ball when he does.

Also, why was Arteta back to taking some of the corners? Donovan's consistently shown, to my mind, that he's our best option in those situations.

landon wasn't great last night, but he wasn't any worse than Neville. Pip gave him shit service all night, wouldn't have mattered an ounce had Lando made another run down the wing cuz Pip would have just lobbed it into the box.

it was Neville's pass to Cahill that helped set up the first goal. I'm not saying he played particularly well but it was difficult for him when Donovan was showing nothing in front of him.

landon wasn't great last night, but he wasn't any worse than Neville. Pip gave him shit service all night, wouldn't have mattered an ounce had Lando made another run down the wing cuz Pip would have just lobbed it into the box.

Donovan has taken the plaudits so he should also take the critisism he was by far and away the worst player on the pitch against Sporting

To try and shift the blame onto Neville is just plain daft. On numerous occasions Neville looked for Donovan but he was nowhere to be seen

He is undoubtedly a good player and I would still love us to sign him but lets be honest he had a poor game. Wether thats because it was tiredness or just one of those nights for him I dont know but the bottom line is he was poor

Hopefully it was just a blip and he will be back to his best at the weekend, everybody is allowed an off night

I think he'll be back to it for Manure, he seems to thrive against "big" opposition. I'd really love to see him nick one from that lot, but i'll be happy if he gets some service (from Coleman) and takes a few decent corners.

I can't understand why Donovan doesn't take all of our corners, I'd even put him on the free-kicks where it's beneficial to have a righty taking them. We've scored twice from Donovan corners, and Arteta doesn't have a divine right to hog all the set-pieces when 9 times out of 10 they're awful.

I can't understand why Donovan doesn't take all of our corners, I'd even put him on the free-kicks where it's beneficial to have a righty taking them. We've scored twice from Donovan corners, and Arteta doesn't have a divine right to hog all the set-pieces when 9 times out of 10 they're awful.

I really don't understand criticism of Arteta's set pieces. Granted, he went through a bit of a bad patch but he was right back on form before his injury and he set up more goals from set-pieces than pretty much anyone in the premiership. It's since his injury that we have really missed his creativity and quality at set-pieces, Baines set pieces are poor in general. Since Arteta has come back his free kicks have been abysmal, but once he gets his fitness up and his eye in I'm sure he'll be back to his best. Just because Donovan has taken a couple of decent ones I don't think we need to jump the gun, remember - Bily set up 3 goals in his first game, I don't think he's set up one since. Arteta is quality, there is no substitute. I wouldn't dispute that maybe Donovan should be taking most of them for now but I think people are overly negative on Arteta just because he lost his form and confidence for a few months early last season when he was playing out on the wing.