IGNORED

Landon Donovan

and kasey keller (spent most of his time in germany, but played at fulham for a year, right before mark schwarzer went there) on the team

Don't forget he was Leicester's number one! And I'm pretty sure he was with Spurs for a short stint too didn't he?

I would love for Donovan to return to Merseyside. I really enjoyed watching him play in his short stint. I just don't know whether it's a smart financial move for the Blues as Landon is in his... 30s now?

He's 28 isn't he?

Edited by Romey 1878

He's 28 isn't he?

According to Wikipedia, you're right. I've been in a couple of debates where I've been told that signing a player approaching his 30's isn't a wise investment.

I thought otherwise, especially in the case of Donovan. He could do amazing things.

According to Wikipedia, you're right. I've been in a couple of debates where I've been told that signing a player approaching his 30's isn't a wise investment.

I thought otherwise, especially in the case of Donovan. He could do amazing things.

It isn't usually, but Donovan counter-balanaces that negative aspect IMO.

...kasey keller (spent most of his time in germany, but played at fulham for a year, right before mark schwarzer went there)...

Don't forget he was Leicester's number one! And I'm pretty sure he was with Spurs for a short stint too didn't he?

Millwall before those as well.

i dunno...how about nigel martyn? tim howard was 27 when we got him too..maybe the case is different for goalies but i dont think its bad idea at all..experience is invaluable and some players hit their prime in late 20s..phil neville and carsley both 28 when we signed them i think...plenty to go against the argument i reckon :D

landon had 3 assists and a goal tonight in a 4-0 win over seattle sounders, who have freddy ljungberg (formerly of arsenal, west ham) and kasey keller (spent most of his time in germany, but played at fulham for a year, right before mark schwarzer went there) on the team

I was at the home depot centre watching him in the game against Philadelphia, he played well in that too. Overall the MLS is no Premier League but Landon does stand outbbut then again so did Edson Buddle (who is 28 too).

If we did sign Landon at 28 then we would at least get 3 good years out of him, probably longer depending on how well his pace holds up.

I think signing Landon would have been a bit like signing Giggs at 28. Im not saying Landon is as good as Giggsy but there game is similar and they relied on the same attributes (speed, fitness, game reading, passing etc) and if Giggs can still make significant contributions Man U at 36 then Landon will certainly have some milleage in him yet.

I was at the home depot centre watching him in the game against Philadelphia, he played well in that too. Overall the MLS is no Premier League but Landon does stand outbbut then again so did Edson Buddle (who is 28 too).

buddle has been largely unfortunate with his injuries though. had a so-so first season with the galaxy, but then scored 16 the following year when landon scored 20. then last season he was out for most of it due to injury, but now he's scored 9 through the first 8 games. for me, donovan had always been a bit of an underachiever a few years ago. we all know his ability so i felt he should have been dominating more than he was doing. but then he scored 20 in a season, which got him the loan at bayern munich. the loan spell was a bit of a humbling for him i think. he kind of realized that it takes a lot more to succeed in europe than it does in the us. once he came back, his play and attitude for the game was a lot better and that's when he won the league MVP. then he came to us and did brilliantly, now he's back in the states and is on playing amazingly. i think he has 8 assists and a goal through the first 8 games. my guess is that with a good world cup, he'll be making a permanent transfer somewhere later this summer (hopefully to us :D) or maybe in january after the MLS season is done (i think he wants to win another title with the galaxy, which would be a pretty good send off)

Everton set to make new move for Donovan

Everton are ready to bring Landon Donovan back to the Premier League after the World Cup.

And the American star admitted he would love to return to Goodison, following a successful loan spell at the club last winter.

The winger is contracted to MLS side LA Galaxy, but Everton boss David Moyes will explore ways of bringing Donovan back after the summer.

And last night the US star admitted it was an inviting prospect. "I would absolutely consider going back to Everton if the opportunity ever presented itself again," he said.

"The experience at Everton was a priceless one for me - I loved playing at Goodison Park.

"The games were always fast and ultra-competitive and my time there certainly made me a better player.

"I feel like I had to earn the respect of the fans and, once I did, they were always going to support me."

No actual quote from Moyes but I'm hoping this happens.

he should eventually pay for himself if they planned the marketing around it well. evertondirectusa.com would be a start, have him pushing all the merch over there. start selling usa shirts over here with his name on the back at the club shop. over a 3/4 year period he should get some back.

ya it's been around for a while. started off as a bit of in insult towards him as a younger player, about being a little to nice when he played and not living up to his potential. even though that's obviously not the case now, it just kind of stuck and people use it for lack of an alternative. he definitely needs a new nickname though! any suggestions?

Well, the greatest Donovan of all time in my opinion is Mike Donovan, from the V miniseries and series, his over-acting ability was immense..

But that's nothing to do with Landon... not sure on a nickname at this stage, I'm not creative enough to thinking of one!