IGNORED

Landon Donovan

i'm with galactic on this one...anyone who says money makes you a big club is talkin out their ring piece...sayin stuff like that supports the myth that newcastle are a big club! it wasn't that long ago that city where in the 2nd division! money makes you attractive cos players are greedy..that is all it does!

as for donovan..i can see what people mean about losin respect for him by going to city but if he wants to play in the epl and everton aren't going in for him then he can't hold out forever..shouldn't have said he only wants to play for everton in the premier league it's always a dangerous thing to say

History would indicate otherwise!

I actually think we did rather well without Arteta. When he was given a start in the derby you had to wonder what he could provide with no tempo and a, even for him, disturbingly low work rate in a game that we needed to battle it out in midfield. Then again, the only reason we did do as well during the months without Arteta was because Peanuts carried us with his creative ability. Without the two of them I'm sure we could field a decent midfield (Fellaini, Rodwell, Osman, Cahill) but we would have no real creative flair.We'd just be batting our heads against the smaller sides that line up 9 men in defense.

I know what you mean without arteta actually but he is the main creative force and when it was both him and pienaar together we looked alot better. Bit harsh to critise his tempo when he had just come back from injury though? It was a poor decision on Moyes's part if anything, but we were lacking in numbers and it was probably to show the fans he is nearing full fitness. This shows how important he is to us becoming a top side again.

That midfield is not a decent one IMO, it is narrow and as you pointed out no real creative flair. It proved last year we need pace, width and guile on the flanks. with peanuts and donnovan both providing us with this,,, we are crying out for a out n out right winger. but i would much rather focus our attention on keeping arteta than worry about citeh's interest in donnovan.

Lol You are either too young to remember Blackburn or you have an apalling memory! ( ever heard of Alan Shearer?)

The reason Blackburn have fallen off is because the money dried up when Jack Walker died

Blackburn and Chelsea are prime examples of clubs who had previously won nothing, came into money and hey presto are were suddenly league champions and the same will happen with City

Money cant buy you tradition but it can certainly buy you the title

yes i do have an appalling memory but i do remember Shearer, even if i was only 12 at the time they won. Anyway, I also looked up when he was signed, which was 2/3 years before the title win, albeit for a recordbreaking transfer fee of 3.3m. But since i was refering to spending big money and buying sucess straight away, a-la Citehs attempt, Shearer i didnt feel was relevant to the arguement.

Out of curiousity and slightly further offtopic, did they make any othe big name signings in the buildup to their EPL win?

yes i do have an appalling memory but i do remember Shearer, even if i was only 12 at the time they won. Anyway, I also looked up when he was signed, which was 2/3 years before the title win, albeit for a recordbreaking transfer fee of 3.3m. But since i was refering to spending big money and buying sucess straight away, a-la Citehs attempt, Shearer i didnt feel was relevant to the arguement.

Out of curiousity and slightly further offtopic, did they make any othe big name signings in the buildup to their EPL win?

Yeah plenty Tim Flowers,Stuart Ripley,Kevin Gallacher, Graema le Saux,Paul Warhurst, David Batty and Mike Newell

They spent over £30M between 1991- 1994 which back then was an obsecene amount of money and it took them from being a nothing side to league champions ie they bought the title!

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Yeah plenty Tim Flowers,Stuart Ripley,Kevin Gallacher, Graema le Saux,Paul Warhurst, David Batty and Mike Newell

They spent over £30M between 1991- 1994 which back then was an obsecene amount of money and it took them from being a nothing side to league champions ie they bought the title!

fair play then! your arguement makes a bit more sense now. Its seems to be a combination of the 2, money and repeated success, to be a big club, not one without the other. I cant say that success alone makes you a big club, Blackburn arent considered such now and apparently have only won the League Cup since in 2002. But i still dont think we can say City can be considered a big club because if theyve not won anything in 30 odd years. Not yet at least...

Edited by galacticaracnid

Unfortuanately in this day and age money does make you a big club.

It is only a matter of time before thay start winning trophies, you cant have that many world class players and not be succesful.

Chelsea bought the title, Blackburn bought the title and The Shite and Man Utd have been buying the title for years.

Yes we did embarass them in both of our games but they also finished above us in the league and the fact that, as you say, that was seen as underachieving suggets to me that they are a big club.

Donovan seems like a pretty honest guy and IMO if he had the choice of playing for Everton or City he would choose Everton

but the bottom line is that if we dont go in for him then he cant sign for us and if City give him the chance to play in the Prem why shouldnt he take it?

Don't remember The Shite winning the title for 20 odd years, pretty shoddy return on investment I'd say! :lol:

Back on topic, Mancini was on Five Live this morning just rattling off a list of 'good players', basically saying we've got to the end of August, we can buy any of these we want, we're like a big fat over paid kid in a sweetshop. I don't think he will sign Donovan, I just think he likes bandying names about reminding people he could have whoever he likes, I think he's after better players to be honest. And listening to his smug drawl as he went through his shopping list made me really want to stuff the horrible bastards again like we did last season!

Edited by nogs

I actually think we did rather well without Arteta. When he was given a start in the derby you had to wonder what he could provide with no tempo and a, even for him, disturbingly low work rate in a game that we needed to battle it out in midfield. Then again, the only reason we did do as well during the months without Arteta was because Peanuts carried us with his creative ability. Without the two of them I'm sure we could field a decent midfield (Fellaini, Rodwell, Osman, Cahill) but we would have no real creative flair.

We'd just be batting our heads against the smaller sides that line up 9 men in defense.

Can't agree with you there at all, he was only just back from injury in the derby! IMO Arteta gives us something no other player in the squad can give us, and much of our form Feb onwards (post derby) coincided with him returning to fitness. Pienaar was probably our most consistent performer all season, but I reckon Fellaini had more of an influence on turning our season around, at times he was just dominating games in the middle of the park single-handedly, he doesn't offer the guile or spark of Arteta, but when you have someone like him who just seems to stop everything going through him and quickly turns defence into attack, it gives you a great platform to win games even without your best creative player.

For me, Fellaini and Arteta is a central midfield pairing that can win the league, with maybe Rodwell adding an extra dimension. If we lose anyone, for me it's Pienaar all day, Arteta would be virtually impossible to replace, and yeah I'd take Donovan for Pienaar quite happily

Can't agree with you there at all, he was only just back from injury in the derby! IMO Arteta gives us something no other player in the squad can give us

Totally agree! We cannot let him go for any amount of money! As i have said before we need to build the team around him and rodwell, rodwell is the future and arteta is the only player with that extra bit of flair and imagination. Felli will be a hugely important player for us in that role next season. I hope peanuts stays but i cant see it happening so donnovan would be a good replacement.

I love jonny at centre half but i can see moyes playing distin due to him being left footed.

the team next year i think will be (if peanuts goes). Basically the formation used in the world cup for Germany n Spain.

Howard

Neville Jags Distin Baines

Fellaini Jonny

Donnovan Cahill Arteta

King

History would indicate otherwise!

can't agree..as said money gives you a foundation to become a big club but if you do cock all with it then you aren't a big club..couple years if city win a few trophies then yeah maybe they can be considered a big club but until then they are just a rich club..rich does not equal big in my book

I know what you mean without arteta actually but he is the main creative force and when it was both him and pienaar together we looked alot better. Bit harsh to critise his tempo when he had just come back from injury though? It was a poor decision on Moyes's part if anything, but we were lacking in numbers and it was probably to show the fans he is nearing full fitness. This shows how important he is to us becoming a top side again.

That midfield is not a decent one IMO, it is narrow and as you pointed out no real creative flair. It proved last year we need pace, width and guile on the flanks. with peanuts and donnovan both providing us with this,,, we are crying out for a out n out right winger. but i would much rather focus our attention on keeping arteta than worry about citeh's interest in donnovan.

Can't agree with you there at all, he was only just back from injury in the derby! IMO Arteta gives us something no other player in the squad can give us, and much of our form Feb onwards (post derby) coincided with him returning to fitness. Pienaar was probably our most consistent performer all season, but I reckon Fellaini had more of an influence on turning our season around, at times he was just dominating games in the middle of the park single-handedly, he doesn't offer the guile or spark of Arteta, but when you have someone like him who just seems to stop everything going through him and quickly turns defence into attack, it gives you a great platform to win games even without your best creative player.

For me, Fellaini and Arteta is a central midfield pairing that can win the league, with maybe Rodwell adding an extra dimension. If we lose anyone, for me it's Pienaar all day, Arteta would be virtually impossible to replace, and yeah I'd take Donovan for Pienaar quite happily

You're both touching on what I wanted to get across, I wasn't trying to criticize Arteta for being out of form, I'm criticizing Moyes for picking him when he better than anyone must have known what form he was in. To me Arteta not being able to keep pace was a huge chunk of us losing that game. But it also proves how reliant we are on Arteta for our creativity. Sure Fellaini broke up a lot of attacks but without either someone creative to slot the ball in for our strikers or, as has been mentioned, PL class wingers we have struggled against every single team that has had a decently organized defense. Pienaar and Baines down the left were the reason, to me at least, why we managed to struggle through. There's just not that many alternatives, and should we lose Pienaar and Arteta we have no one capable of opening up a locked game. Even with Arteta still here we still need someone who can bring the ball in from the right.

Maybe Vic. Maybe Coleman.

But our two only sources of creative flair can't be lost in the same window. There's no way we'll be able to replace that.

You're both touching on what I wanted to get across, I wasn't trying to criticize Arteta for being out of form, I'm criticizing Moyes for picking him when he better than anyone must have known what form he was in. To me Arteta not being able to keep pace was a huge chunk of us losing that game. But it also proves how reliant we are on Arteta for our creativity. Sure Fellaini broke up a lot of attacks but without either someone creative to slot the ball in for our strikers or, as has been mentioned, PL class wingers we have struggled against every single team that has had a decently organized defense. Pienaar and Baines down the left were the reason, to me at least, why we managed to struggle through. There's just not that many alternatives, and should we lose Pienaar and Arteta we have no one capable of opening up a locked game. Even with Arteta still here we still need someone who can bring the ball in from the right.

Maybe Vic. Maybe Coleman.

But our two only sources of creative flair can't be lost in the same window. There's no way we'll be able to replace that.

Totally agree with most of that. The only part is Maybe Vic. Maybe Coleman.. Anichebe is terrible IMO, he cannot be our option if pienaar or arteta goes, it would be laughable! Coleman can go forward fairly well but i see him as our next rightback for years. Wouldnt like to change his training to accomodate for a right winger and hamper his defensive abilties which IMO he needs to work on to get to the standard we all believe he can.

End of the day we cant lose both of them...... If we are to lose one i would prefer it to be peanuts :(

anichebe did very well towards the end of the season and he actually runs at players and cos of his size and strength defenders wont like it...the more practice he gets at this the better and hopefully he will get more next season..it's gonna be a big one for him and i have always liked and had faith in him and hopefully he will show how good he can be

anichebe did very well towards the end of the season and he actually runs at players and cos of his size and strength defenders wont like it...the more practice he gets at this the better and hopefully he will get more next season..it's gonna be a big one for him and i have always liked and had faith in him and hopefully he will show how good he can be

I'am sorry mate, i cant agree. I have never been a fan of Anichebe so its abit of a biased view from me, i think he is lazy and got a attitude problem. His touch is woeful. He has strength and agression on his side yes but without any other qualities i cant see him staying at Everton too much longer if we want to progress. I

would like to be proven wrong by him and for him to do well. If he does nothing all game and doesnt run and scores goals then i wouldnt moan but he does all that except the goals. I would much rather see us spend some money on a skillful and pacey wide man for the right then give him a chance. I wouldn't begrudge the lad some playing time like as cover or against small teams but i cant see him being progressing enough to stay at us for a long time.

think the attitude bit is a bit harsh..bein shoved out of position and just got on with it...couple years back was playing well coming off the bench but never got started didnt seem to complain much then..i question his fitness sometimes rather than his possible laziness as he does seem to look like an asthmatic pit pony after running a few yards sometimes! his touch granted isnt the best but at least it is summat he can work on!

think the attitude bit is a bit harsh..bein shoved out of position and just got on with it...couple years back was playing well coming off the bench but never got started didnt seem to complain much then..i question his fitness sometimes rather than his possible laziness as he does seem to look like an asthmatic pit pony after running a few yards sometimes! his touch granted isnt the best but at least it is summat he can work on!

that made me laugh!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1298634/Everton-loan-star-Landon-Donovan-eyes-Premier-League-return.html

Landon Donovan was interviewed after the MLS All Stars v Man Utd game last night and

has said that there are a couple of offers for him on the table from Europe and

that he was going to sit down and consider them.

No mention of Everton but you would hope that one of the bids is from us!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1298634/Everton-loan-star-Landon-Donovan-eyes-Premier-League-return.html

Landon Donovan was interviewed after the MLS All Stars v Man Utd game last night and

im getting a bit frustrated now. A few months ago he wanted to extend his stay. The he said he would only be coming us if he returned to the EPL. Then he wants to stay in USA where he is happy. Now hes going to consider different offers?

There has been a lot of talk that America needs Donovan to stay, but I really do not buy that. Foobtall is not going to grow here because of one player. I have a feeling he is going to accept a offer from some team in England. I just really hope it is not going to be Man City.

would be gutted if he went to any other club other than ours. Would be absolutely gutted and sick if he went to City. I really hope we've put a bid in for him, we'd have a really string team going into this season. However, I've got a feeling that he may just end up somewhere else... Come on Landycakes, you know where you'll be loved.

Just found this: Link

The time to sell Donovan has not come. Wait until after MLS Cup. By then, the Donovan publicity bump will be dead. The delay won’t affect Donovan’s play at all. He proved last year that he can step into a team like Everton and provide an immediate burst of energy. The delay will also help weed out the teams that want Donovan (Everton) and the teams that just want Donovan to sell jerseys in the US (Manchester City).
Edited by wallwriter

I'm hoping noone comes in before we get our sky money, we can offload the Yak to someone desperate for a forward and willing to pay as near £10 mil as possible, and then get Donovan before the end of the transfer window. A strong start coupled with Arteta and Pienaar commiting to the club would help greatly, and if Donovan penned a contract as well, I'm not being funny, but Champions league is the minimum we could expect.

If we bid for him & he comes here I will love him forever.

If we bid for him but so do Shitteh & he choses arab gold over us another little bit of the romance I associate with the beautiful game will die. (although I wont be surprised!)

Come on BK, DM & LD, make it happen!

But would it be his choice?

If we offer the club say, for arguments sake, 5m and they're like "No, we're looking more in the region of 10m" and City come along with a bid of 15m, is it Landon's choice/place to say: "I know I wanted premiership action, but I want to go to Everton" and deny the offer from City?

But would it be his choice?

If we offer the club say, for arguments sake, 5m and they're like "No, we're looking more in the region of 10m" and City come along with a bid of 15m, is it Landon's choice/place to say: "I know I wanted premiership action, but I want to go to Everton" and deny the offer from City?

I think he is going to be in a tough position tbh because I really believe he fell in love with the club, maybe not as much as us on here, but for an outsider to see what we are about and get such love from the fans must have been brilliant for him. The problem is he knows we havent got money, and whilst he might wanna come to us, he probably wont get the chance.

If City come in with a bid as you say, its gunna be hard for him to say no, unless we come in for him as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/30/landon-donovan-everton-manchester-city

This sounds a bit more promosing in the Guardian

"I would love to go back to Everton. I love the people there and I love the fans there. That said, I love being in America too, so we are going to take everything into account and see where it ends up"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/30/landon-donovan-everton-manchester-city

This sounds a bit more promosing in the Guardian

"I would love to go back to Everton. I love the people there and I love the fans there. That said, I love being in America too, so we are going to take everything into account and see where it ends up"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/everton/7917006/Landon-Donovan-opens-door-to-Everton-return.html

same in the Telegraph. Still just as frustrating. Looking into the next few years, how much revenue in the US would having his name on our books make? Ok not 10m, but theres got to be a fair few bob to be made by it and that could go toward his transfer fee.

Another thing, dont we just have to buy him out of his contract if hes not "owned" by the team?

NSNO.co.uk citing 'sources' indicate that Everton have had a bid accepted by the MLS for Landon Donovan and are now discussing terms. I have no idea who these sources are or how factual they may be.

http://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,6086.0.html

Would be an absolute coup, and a great boost.

A player actually following through on his professed "love" for a club rather than chasing cash.

Hope to hell it's true.