IGNORED

Landon Donovan

Soon as I saw that there was a fresh post in this thread I thought "retired". Not sure why!

Marco is going to have kittens just seeing the thread open again :lol: half tempted to move everything into Rumourama just to freak him out :)

Edited by Matt

Thanks! And I did find this particular thread. But, I found it hard to believe that there haven't been any Donovan posts since 2010. Where's the rest of it gone? I'm sure we are missing all kinds of American-bashing antics ;)

no worries, think they are all in the rumourama thread :)

His statement for those interested:

“After careful deliberation and many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last year as a professional soccer player,” said Donovan in a statement. “It has been more than anything I could have dreamed of to represent the LA Galaxy, the San Jose Earthquakes, Everton, U.S. Soccer and Major League Soccer throughout my career. There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey.

“I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.”

His statement for those interested:

After careful deliberation and many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last year as a professional soccer player, said Donovan in a statement. It has been more than anything I could have dreamed of to represent the LA Galaxy, the San Jose Earthquakes, Everton, U.S. Soccer and Major League Soccer throughout my career. There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey.

I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

Like I said, not really that arsed, he never even mentioned us and he called it soccer :b

Like I said, not really that arsed, he never even mentioned us and he called it soccer :b

He considers himself an Evertonian. It's even in his twitter bio. The man loved this club.

As for calling it soccer, that's a term the English came up with, so the root of that "problem" started with you lot. :happy:

Edited by TonkaRoost

Notice he didn't mention Leverkusen or Munich. Must have hated his time there.

Yeah, it's interesting to note that Klinsmann was coach of Munich during his time there, and they always had this behind-the-scenes hatred for each other, or at least that's what it seems like.

Yeah, it's interesting to note that Klinsmann was coach of Munich during his time there, and they always had this behind-the-scenes hatred for each other, or at least that's what it seems like.

Didn't realize Klingsman was coach of Munich then. Explains a few things...

Does he? :lol:

I only scanned it and was trying to provoke a reaction. I've had a few Stellas so I apologise :(

You almost got one out of me Paddock :lol: . LD is my 2nd favorite player ever and is an LA Galaxy legend, I'm really going to miss seeing him play. He's still young compared to footballing standards but his retirement comes at the right time for him. He is still a good player and he is not the type of person to continue doing something for the money. He is also a big reason why I am an Everton fan today so LD has all of my gratitude for a great career. Once a blue, always a blue.

You almost got one out of me Paddock :lol: . LD is my 2nd favorite player ever and is an LA Galaxy legend, I'm really going to miss seeing him play. He's still young compared to footballing standards but his retirement comes at the right time for him. He is still a good player and he is not the type of person to continue doing something for the money. He is also a big reason why I am an Everton fan today so LD has all of my gratitude for a great career. Once a blue, always a blue.

Hear, hear!

He may not be a big deal to most Everton followers, but you can't underestimate the impact he has had on us American followers.

He is still a good player and he is not the type of person to continue doing something for the money.

Not too many of those around these days unfortunately. Mercenary bastards!

Good luck to the guy. He chose to retire while still in demand and he also introduced many USA fans to support Everton.

Have a good retirement.

I will also miss seeing him play. Not from his Galaxy stint, but from his stint with San Jose Earthquakes at the start of his career. There hasn't been much to cheer about over the years as a Quakes fan, seeing as they've generally been a mismanaged, cheaply run mess, and often as not treated not just by the league but even by their own management (when Anschutz ran them) as LA's second-class cousin. But for that run of four years and two championships, he gave us NorCal folks something to be proud of, and no matter how the rest of his career played out I'm still grateful for that.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of Americans on here are fans of his, I'm not. Retired early, took a sabbatical because he can't take the demands of playing for club and national team, and other than some little loan spells at Everton he never could hack it in Europe.

I'll take Dempsey and Howard all day long as best Americans over him.

That's so interesting. I always figured that he retired early because of the burn out and the fact that he wanted to go out on top. He was beginning to lose it a bit and he lost that spark that made him so deadly in his youth. While the Europe argument is hard to argue, there aren't too many Americans that have hacked it in Europe (besides goalkeepers) and that's hard for me to admit. Even Dempsey struggled to get playing time at Fulham (albeit not entirely his fault) and now he's back in Seattle where I haven't been blown away with him at all. I'll still take "Landycakes" as the best American, maybe you can convince me on Howard but some even argue Brad Friedel was better than him (I don't remember seeing him play too much so I can't judge)

That's so interesting. I always figured that he retired early because of the burn out and the fact that he wanted to go out on top. He was beginning to lose it a bit and he lost that spark that made him so deadly in his youth. While the Europe argument is hard to argue, there aren't too many Americans that have hacked it in Europe (besides goalkeepers) and that's hard for me to admit. Even Dempsey struggled to get playing time at Fulham (albeit not entirely his fault) and now he's back in Seattle where I haven't been blown away with him at all. I'll still take "Landycakes" as the best American, maybe you can convince me on Howard but some even argue Brad Friedel was better than him (I don't remember seeing him play too much so I can't judge)

Yes, Donovan is the best for me as well. Dempsey hasn't contributed nearly as much as Donovan has for the national team and popularity of the game in the US. Dempsey also doesn't have a third of the work rate and vision that Donovan has. The only things Dempsey has over Donovan is the amount of tricks up his sleeve and is probably a better finisher, albeit not by much. They both have pretty lame attitudes sometimes though.

I can't even compare Howard and Donovan because their positions are so different.

I think if Donovan would've made the WC squad then he'd still be playing.