IGNORED

Landon Donovan

I would be devastated to lose either Piennar or Arteta but maybe we should sell

now while we can still get a decent fee for them.

This Donovan farce has highlighted just how bad things are. If we allow Piennar to

run down his contract then clearly we will not be getting a replacement in for him,

same goes for Arteta

Its a sad fact that we are a selling club and if we keep on selling our best players

we will never be anything more than also rans

Even ive got more money than the Everton board, mayb i should sell my (nearly) completed abode, to pay for signings? The business we have done so far is good, however is LD the 'be all n end all' of Evertons success this season? Is he fuck!

like many of you poo-pooed the article about him making the difference between us winning the league or not, he really isnt the only person we could look at. some people have become blinded by the hype imo, (hence my lack of contribution to this thread) and are we forgetting the 2/3 games he was completely annomynous and got subbed? Before someone wants to attack me for saying so, i like LD, hes an honest guy, rapid (which we do need), can score and hes a smart ball player (99% of the time he makes the right decision...see Tottenham miss for the 1% lol).

I like him, would love him back at Everton but there are other options, that you could argue are cheaper and are inclining in their careers (guy who left barca last month, was being touted as an amazing talent before one injury slowedhim down, Guy Husilin?) he's on a free?

Thats me.done, using your phone on TT takes an hour longer than bloody usual!

"All we've done is spend £1m on Magaye Gueye so far. Jermaine Beckford and Jan Mucha were free, so we've spent no money by Premier League standards and will probably be the ones who spend the least this season."

Didn't we pay 500k for Silva?

I have to agree with Tenacious, Donovan is a good player but he,s not good enough to warrant the Mass hysteria shown by some in this thread, and the other one in rumourama.

I'm sure if we moved on, we could get equal or better somewhere else. ;)

I have to agree with Tenacious, Donovan is a good player but he,s not good enough to warrant the Mass hysteria shown by some in this thread, and the other one in rumourama.

I'm sure if we moved on, we could get equal or better somewhere else. ;)

The point still stands whoever we're going after really though Bill - we haven't got too pennies to rub together so we're going to struggle to improve. I have absolutely no problem with us not bringing Donovan in, no matter how much I like him, but getting Donovan in for those few short months just highlighted even more so how much we need a right winger with pace. Can we get one in with fuck all to spend? No. That's the reason myself and other members are a bit worried/pissed about Moyes' comments in relation to bringing Donovan in.

Maybe Donovan isn't good enough to warrant the "mass hysteria" but the bottom line is that Moyes wants to bring him in and can't. That's piss poor.

...the bottom line is that Moyes wants to bring him in and can't. That's piss poor.

He wouldn't want him at any price though and it seems thay maybe he doesn't him at the price the MLS are asking...

"We don't have the finances. The price the MLS want for him is very big and it's an additional problem because of his age."

You could read it that we have limited finances and can't justify spending that much (whatever the figure is, maybe the MLS are asking silly money?) on someone of that age.

Even ive got more money than the Everton board, mayb i should sell my (nearly) completed abode, to pay for signings? The business we have done so far is good, however is LD the 'be all n end all' of Evertons success this season? Is he fuck!

like many of you poo-pooed the article about him making the difference between us winning the league or not, he really isnt the only person we could look at. some people have become blinded by the hype imo, (hence my lack of contribution to this thread) and are we forgetting the 2/3 games he was completely annomynous and got subbed? Before someone wants to attack me for saying so, i like LD, hes an honest guy, rapid (which we do need), can score and hes a smart ball player (99% of the time he makes the right decision...see Tottenham miss for the 1% lol).

I like him, would love him back at Everton but there are other options, that you could argue are cheaper and are inclining in their careers (guy who left barca last month, was being touted as an amazing talent before one injury slowedhim down, Guy Husilin?) he's on a free?

Thats me.done, using your phone on TT takes an hour longer than bloody usual!

Yes that is a great idea mate I would be eternally grateful if you would be prepared to make yourself homeless to boost our transfer kitty, I just hope you have a massive house thats worth a few bob!

Seriously though, you are spot on about Donovan, but you are missing the point. Its as Rommey says Donovan is a player Moyse wants and the player has said he would love to come. If we cant do a deal as straight forward as this then it doesnt bode well for the future.

Its not about us not getting Donovan in particular that bothers me, its about us not getting any big signings at all. Do you honestly think this type of thing is sending out the right message to convince Arteta & Piennar to sign?

What happens when we lose Piennar for nothing next summer?

We have a very good squad now and if we are to buy a player good enough to get into our starting XI then he is going to cost money, which clearly we havent got

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

...Donovan is a player Moyse wants and the player has said he would love to come. If we cant do a deal as straight forward as this then it doesnt bode well for the future.

I want a ferrari and the ferrari dealers want to sell me one. That's a straightforward deal as well.

Apart from on€ $ma££ thing.

I want a ferrari and the ferrari dealers want to sell me one. That's a straightforward deal as well.

Apart from on€ $ma££ thing.

Well if you are on the dole then its fair to say a Ferrari would be an unrealistic target. However if you were a top Premiership footballer I would expect you to be able to comfortably afford one

Everton are supposedly a top Premiership team however we are probably about the only team in the top flight that cant afford to buy an £11M player

Everton are supposedly a top Premiership team however we are probably about the only team in the top flight that cant afford to buy an £11M player

The price is speculation.

I don't think we're a club that can't afford to buy a £10/11/12m player, that's debatable of course, but what's beyond debate is that we are a club that won't pay more for a player than Moyes thinks he's worth....and I'm glad we are.

The price is speculation.

I don't think we're a club that can't afford to buy a £10/11/12m player, that's debatable of course, but what's beyond debate is that we are a club that won't pay more for a player than Moyes thinks he's worth....and I'm glad we are.

If that is the case how come we always have to sell before we can buy?

I agree that we shouldnt pay over the odds for any player and as you say the price that is being bandied about is pure speculation, but it is very worrying to me that its a player Moyse obviously wants and we cant even rustle up enough cash to make a bid for him

its quite clear we dont have the funds.

the problem for me is that most signings are a risk, you dont know how they will take to the club and if they will fit in with the team.

here we have a guy that fits in with the club, the players, the team the fans.

he is a no risk signing, but we do not have the cash to do the deal.

here we have pienaar causing all kinds of crap about his contract, over the pond we have a guy telling anyone who will listen how much he loves the club.

players like LD are a little rare now days.

I agree with a few of the people above, it's time we sell either Pienaar or Arteta. Donovan is a better player on the pitch, and brings more revenue off the pitch, so if we sold either Arteta or Pienaar, I imagine we could afford to buy Donovan. Maybe we should look back into selling Yakubu, or Anichebe (Anichebe wouldn't bring in enough revenue to buy Donovan though)... What about Sylvain Distin? Do we really need him? I see a few players that we could offload in order to buy Donovan, but I doubt Moyes is willing to do that.

The reason we can't afford to sign him is there will be no way to recoup the money we splash on him. If we drop the 11M and he signs a 4 year contract by the end of that contract he will be 32. Lets say we pay him 40 K a week so thats roughly 2M a year. All in all thats almost 5M a year we have to pay to bring Donovan here. Unless ESPN decides to step up its coverage of Everton or increased shirt sales it doesn't make business sense. Obviously if we qualify for Champs league with him being the difference than its worth it... otherwise we come out poorer than before (which was pennyless to start with).

We can afford to pay for Fellaini because we bought him before his prime and then either hold onto him for longer (the transfer fee is essentially distributed over a longer period) or sell him at profit when he enters his prime.

I would love Lando here more than anyone (His Algeria goal is unforgettable for me). But I don't think this move makes us financially stronger. Admittedly by the same logic we can't afford to hold on to Pienaar in his prime.

I agree with a few of the people above, it's time we sell either Pienaar or Arteta. Donovan is a better player on the pitch, and brings more revenue off the pitch, so if we sold either Arteta or Pienaar, I imagine we could afford to buy Donovan. Maybe we should look back into selling Yakubu, or Anichebe (Anichebe wouldn't bring in enough revenue to buy Donovan though)... What about Sylvain Distin? Do we really need him? I see a few players that we could offload in order to buy Donovan, but I doubt Moyes is willing to do that.

Maybe Pienaar because of the contract bollocks...but Arteta?? As our Mark would say "Put the pipe down".

Donovan is not, and I repeat, NOT a better player than Arteta nor are they similar players; so to compare them is luda!

I understand the principle of what Moyes says about Donovans age, but in a footballing world where (some)fans and clubs want immediate success, there is going to be a high price to pay for a player in his prime years. Even if he's only in those prime years for 2-3 years thats enough time to progress a club in the short term to reap some financial rewards, and club reputation. Look at Man City or Chelsea, I dont think they are particularly concerned with the cost of players at a certain age ( Bellamy, £14m when he was 28-29?!), therefore a selling team can demand a higher price, knowing that these short term success clubs are in the market. By the same principle, Moyes surely wouldnt be able to ask anymore than the Donovan asking price for Arteta. If anything, Arteta has less immediate financial rewards than Donovan does. They are both around the same age, one is the captain of his national team, with huge "sellability", whilst the other is an uncapped player. This is not a dig at Arteta, who I consider to be a far more valuble player on the pitch, but maybe Moyes' words will come back and bite him on the Jacksy.

It could be argued that Moyes can demand more for players he doesnt want, or need to sell ( Lescott, Jagielka ). But surely thats exactly what the MLS/LA Galaxy are doing. Neither party wants Donovan to leave, therefore they'll want more dollars.

Any thoughts, or am I just talking shit!!?

If anything, Arteta has less immediate financial rewards than Donovan does.

But Arteta has much much more in terms of importance to Everton as a team, whereas i could see another player doing a similar job to that which LD did but i find it a million times harder to find a player who could replace Arteta, and especially with the lack of funds we already have!?

Any thoughts, or am I just talking shit!!?

So based on what i highlighted above, yes you are.

No, your missing my point. Im not talking about financial rewards to Everton. If you were to put a player on the market, on paper at least Donovan may appear to be a more financially rewarding ( in terms of image, shirt sales, general promotion of the club in US) prospect than Arteta. Arteta is the heartbeat of our team, so im not saying donovan is more important for us. Im talking about Moyes being critical of his price, yet pricing all of our players out of the market. It just seems a little hypocritical, although im glad he does it!!

Think back to the Lescott saga, Moyes wanted way above the players actual market value ( probably about £10million more) because he didnt NEED to sell Lescott. Now he's expecting the MLS to let Donovan go on the cheap, even though they dont NEED to sell him, and he is contractually bound for 4-5 more years.

Id love donovan to come here, but i dont think he'd be half as important as most of the squad we already have.

• 4 years later...