IGNORED

Landon Donovan

I am now starting to believe that Landon Donovan will never again pull on a royal blue shirt (At least one with an Everton badge on it) :huh:

im sure Davey has used the phrase before too... The trouble will not be convincing them to sell, but getting the money to buy! Wouldnt rule out a loan deal either. Dont worry too much, he will come home sometime next season...

Really hope it doesn't happen...honestly though, if he wanted to progress his on-feild career, he'd come to Everton.

Wouldn't get a game in if he went to City.

Now I kinda hope that we flog off Pienaar for lots so we have the funds for Landon.

As much as I enjoy Donovan and think he'd be great for the Blues, I still don't want Pienaar to go. I'd rather keep him than switch for Donovan.

Really hope it doesn't happen...honestly though, if he wanted to progress his on-feild career, he'd come to Everton.

Now I kinda hope that we flog off Pienaar for lots so we have the funds for Landon.

I would rather we kept Piennar

As much as I want us to sign Donovan I think people are looking back at his loan spell with rose tinted glasses. Did he really deserve to get player of the month for us?

He had a few good games, most noteably Arsenal away, but he also had a couple of stinkers were the game completely passed him by.

Im not saying Piennar is great every game but I do think he is more consistent. Fair enough Donovan may develop that consistencey over time but from what Ive seen of him in an Everton shirt I would stick with Piennar

To the guy who said they would lose respect for him if he signed for City , Why?

If City sre prepared to stump up the cash for him and Everton arent why shouldnt he sign for them?

Lol Im with Ganden on this!

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I would rather we kept Piennar

As much as I want us to sign Donovan I think people are looking back at his loan spell with rose tinted glasses. Did he really deserve to get player of the month for us?

He had a few good games, most noteably Arsenal away, but he also had a couple of stinkers were the game completely passed him by.

Im not saying Piennar is great every game but I do think he is more consistent. Fair enough Donovan may develop that consistencey over time but from what Ive seen of him in an Everton shirt I would stick with Piennar

To the guy who said they would lose respect for him if he signed for City , Why?

If City sre prepared to stump up the cash for him and Everton arent why shouldnt he sign for them?

Lol Im with Ganden on this!

Because he declared that if he was to return to the UK, he would only sign for us:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/03/18/landon-i-m-an-evertonian

he will know all about the saga with Citeh, i would be disappointed too. Plus, whats he going to do there? Theres going to be nowhere for him to play!!!

Because he declared that if he was to return to the UK, he would only sign for us:

he will know all about the saga with Citeh, i would be disappointed too. Plus, whats he going to do there? Theres going to be nowhere for him to play!!!

Been wondering about City's squad...I reckon they could feild a pretty good reserses side with the stupid amount of "1st team" players they have.

Guess that's one way for them to win silverware! :P

If Everton and City both went in for him and he chose City then I could understand where you are coming from but if Everton arent interested enough to come up with the money to buy him and City are then why should he turn them down?

He doesnt owe Everton anything and lets face it City are a bigger club with better prospects and he would earn at least twice as much

If Everton and City both went in for him and he chose City then I could understand where you are coming from but if Everton arent interested enough to come up with the money to buy him and City are then why should he turn them down?

He doesnt owe Everton anything and lets face it City are a bigger club with better prospects and he would earn at least twice as much

I see where youre coming from but this article was made not long after rumours of Chelsea being after him. If he wanted money and possibilities of winning stuff, he would be choosing them. My other point is, where will he play in the midfield of Citeh? With Cole gone from Chelski, theres at least 1 opening to fill.

As for the bigger club? no, theyre richer. until they win something, theyre not a big club, more like a little club with a big wallet who underacheived again last year. Everyone was tipping them as title contenders last season, the same people are at it again. Unless Manchini can get these super-egos, i mean superstars, to play together they will underacheive again. We embarressed them in both games last season. Money doesnt buy a big team, time builds one (with the exception of chelski, with a good manager and money, you can buy a big club).

Edited by galacticaracnid

I see where youre coming from but this article was made not long after rumours of Chelsea being after him. If he wanted money and possibilities of winning stuff, he would be choosing them. My other point is, where will he play in the midfield of Citeh? With Cole gone from Chelski, theres at least 1 opening to fill.

As for the bigger club? no, theyre richer. until they win something, theyre not a big club, more like a little club with a big wallet who underacheived again last year. Everyone was tipping them as title contenders last season, the same people are at it again. Unless Manchini can get these super-egos, i mean superstars, to play together they will underacheive again. We embarressed them in both games last season. Money doesnt buy a big team, time builds one (with the exception of chelski, with a good manager and money, you can buy a big club).

Unfortuanately in this day and age money does make you a big club.

It is only a matter of time before thay start winning trophies, you cant have that many world class players and not be succesful.

Chelsea bought the title, Blackburn bought the title and The Shite and Man Utd have been buying the title for years.

Yes we did embarass them in both of our games but they also finished above us in the league and the fact that, as you say, that was seen as underachieving suggets to me that they are a big club.

Donovan seems like a pretty honest guy and IMO if he had the choice of playing for Everton or City he would choose Everton

but the bottom line is that if we dont go in for him then he cant sign for us and if City give him the chance to play in the Prem why shouldnt he take it?

Unfortuanately in this day and age money does make you a big club.

It is only a matter of time before thay start winning trophies, you cant have that many world class players and not be succesful.

Chelsea bought the title, Blackburn bought the title and The Shite and Man Utd have been buying the title for years.

Yes we did embarass them in both of our games but they also finished above us in the league and the fact that, as you say, that was seen as underachieving suggets to me that they are a big club.

Donovan seems like a pretty honest guy and IMO if he had the choice of playing for Everton or City he would choose Everton

but the bottom line is that if we dont go in for him then he cant sign for us and if City give him the chance to play in the Prem why shouldnt he take it?

Sorry, but this isnt correct in my opinion. Success makes you a big club, money gives you potential. Even Yaya Toure is saying "City CAN be a big club".

Chelseai grant you, they were sucessful in buying the title, but became a big club for winning stuff. Blackburn have done bugger all since and as far as i can see only signed Sutton for "big money" - 5m back then! As far as i remember, the Shite havent won a title in 20 years (last one in 89/90 apparently) despite all their hundreds of millions spent, their big club status comes from winning plenty before the EPL and 2005. Key word again, theyve won stuff. Utd have built their success, spent a fortune but got most of that from winning. Until City win something, theyre not big. Huge potential, but its not realised yet.

They only finished above by 6 points and considering our start to the season, they were lucky to do so. But, i cant argue, they did finish higher. They werent convincing though.

If we cant compete to sign him, and Chelski/Citeh can pay for him the fair enough. Id like to think he would stick to his guns and only sign for us. Chelsea, i wouldnt blame him for, he has more chance of playing there and to win stuff. City will hurt - that will be purely money because the chances of him playing will be much more limited.

That seems a silly quote, MLS own him and have said there is no way they will sell him, plus he signed a new long term contract not long ago.

A bigger plus is i would rather keep Pienaar than replace him with Donovan. ;)

[/b]

That seems a silly quote, MLS own him and have said there is no way they will sell him, plus he signed a new long term contract not long ago.

A bigger plus is i would rather keep Pienaar than replace him with Donovan. ;)

I would rather have a player who has spoke about his desire to join us (donnovan) than a player who has been quiet all through the summer about wanting to stay and waiting for the biggest offer to come in (pienaar). I think pienaar is class and would love to see him still here and sign a new deal but IMO he wants to go, if he was staying he would have came out and said i want to stay, its up to the club now. The fact that arteta's agent is saying it will be difficult for him to move because we are asking for alot is the more worrying never mind City's interest in Donnovan. If this is the only reason why he is staying then that raises concerns for me. We need to build our team around this magician and rodwell IMO, he his the creative influence we need so much and it would send us backwards if he goes.

I actually think we did rather well without Arteta. When he was given a start in the derby you had to wonder what he could provide with no tempo and a, even for him, disturbingly low work rate in a game that we needed to battle it out in midfield. Then again, the only reason we did do as well during the months without Arteta was because Peanuts carried us with his creative ability. Without the two of them I'm sure we could field a decent midfield (Fellaini, Rodwell, Osman, Cahill) but we would have no real creative flair.

We'd just be batting our heads against the smaller sides that line up 9 men in defense.

i'm with galactic on this one...anyone who says money makes you a big club is talkin out their ring piece...sayin stuff like that supports the myth that newcastle are a big club! it wasn't that long ago that city where in the 2nd division! money makes you attractive cos players are greedy..that is all it does!

as for donovan..i can see what people mean about losin respect for him by going to city but if he wants to play in the epl and everton aren't going in for him then he can't hold out forever..shouldn't have said he only wants to play for everton in the premier league it's always a dangerous thing to say

Sorry, but this isnt correct in my opinion. Success makes you a big club, money gives you potential. Even Yaya Toure is saying "City CAN be a big club".

Chelseai grant you, they were sucessful in buying the title, but became a big club for winning stuff. Blackburn have done bugger all since and as far as i can see only signed Sutton for "big money" - 5m back then! As far as i remember, the Shite havent won a title in 20 years (last one in 89/90 apparently) despite all their hundreds of millions spent, their big club status comes from winning plenty before the EPL and 2005. Key word again, theyve won stuff. Utd have built their success, spent a fortune but got most of that from winning. Until City win something, theyre not big. Huge potential, but its not realised yet.

They only finished above by 6 points and considering our start to the season, they were lucky to do so. But, i cant argue, they did finish higher. They werent convincing though.

If we cant compete to sign him, and Chelski/Citeh can pay for him the fair enough. Id like to think he would stick to his guns and only sign for us. Chelsea, i wouldnt blame him for, he has more chance of playing there and to win stuff. City will hurt - that will be purely money because the chances of him playing will be much more limited.

Lol You are either too young to remember Blackburn or you have an apalling memory! ( ever heard of Alan Shearer?)

The reason Blackburn have fallen off is because the money dried up when Jack Walker died

Blackburn and Chelsea are prime examples of clubs who had previously won nothing, came into money and hey presto are were suddenly league champions and the same will happen with City

Money cant buy you tradition but it can certainly buy you the title