IGNORED

Ryan Ledson

Less than 5% make it. No surprise.

I only expect Davies to make it from the current crop of lads I've seen trying to break through in the last 12 months. Hoping to be proved wrong as Connolly looked good in the first team, Dowell looked great in the U21s but struggled in the first team for me, Kenny has loads of bite to his game which I love but still not seeing enough.

Would love to see them all make it here, if not good luck to any of them who can make a career as a footballer for themselves.

It's a very low rate Mark, and as more and more money has come into the game the rate has declined.

If you look at our first team now there is Barkley who came through, no one else.

Before that we had Rodwell, that was years ago. Before him maybe Anichebe? Not many make the grade at all, not at premier league level anyway.

We have lots of our young talented players in the lower leagues though, making good careers for themselves. We should be proud of them too.

It's a very low rate Mark, and as more and more money has come into the game the rate has declined.

If you look at our first team now there is Barkley who came through, no one else.

Before that we had Rodwell, that was years ago. Before him maybe Anichebe? Not many make the grade at all, not at premier league level anyway.

We have lots of our young talented players in the lower leagues though, making good careers for themselves. We should be proud of them too.

it makes complete sense now, its just he number 5% is a little jarring at first. in the other thread the new academy director's approach it seems is to try and get that percentage up a little bit, which would be a feat unto itself.

This is exactly the reason why people shouldn't bang on about young players.... Davies and Dowell will "most likely" end up playing championship football! You really have to be well above the rest to make it these days. English grass roots is the pits. The coaching just isn't good enough compared to foreign countries. British mentality is also a huge reason why people don't make it. There's very little drive compared to these foreign players! Everything too quickly too soon!

Makes me sad when you see names that were spoken of as 15 year old top talents get sold to lower league clubs a few years later.

It shows how important it is to keep progressing at the same rate. It could be the making of the lad.

Interesting I was talking to my mate who I played Sunday league with - he was 34 when I was just getting in the team. When he was a young lad he was very good friends with Tom Davies parents. They lost touch when he moved away. Apparently Tom Davies dad - Tony was an outstanding footballer. Was unlucky in his trials as he was working on a fruit stall and had to be up at 4am every day so on his trial he was exhausted. Dirty sod in the tackle. It so happens that Tom Davies mum is Alan Whittles sister.... the footballing genes are strong.

I truly believe Davies will make it. Let's hope eh.