IGNORED

Ryan Ledson

I was thinking about this just yesterday. Imagine selling big (whether reluctantly or through choice) and not having to spend a penny to replace them because we had one of our own good enough to replace them? That would be invaluable to a club like ours.

This is the perfect scenario.

Considering Merseyside has always been a footballing place, we don't produce anywhere near enough valuable youth players.

Must cost a fortune running youth teams...so you naturally want something out of it.

Ok.

Well Gibson has played 3 Europa games, 118 passes in all games (do the math) and pass success rate of 83%. Similar pass lengths.

If you use pass stats to back up one, surely it's good to be consistent and use the same stats for another player?

Plus he's only 17. Making his senior debut. Did I say that?

The boy clearly did fine. Good luck to him...as many of these boys that can make it, the better for the club.

I don't get your point at all.... I'm not saying he's a bad player.... Just I saw nothing to shout about!

I mean you compare him to youngsters like Wayne Rooney who was scoring worldys against the best team in league at 16 years of age - special player.

I didn't notice him, he certainly wasn't dictating the game. Never stood out for me.

I don't get your point at all.... I'm not saying he's a bad player.... Just I saw nothing to shout about!

I mean you compare him to youngsters like Wayne Rooney who was scoring worldys against the best team in league at 16 years of age - special player.

I didn't notice him, he certainly wasn't dictating the game. Never stood out for me.

Yeah, not really much of a point to make. If I'm honest, I didn't notice him much either.

The point, if there was one, would be that not long ago after a Europa game, you were using Gibson ' s passing stats in that game as a means to defend his influence and importance to the team. So all I'm saying is, this kid passed the ball very well. So take into consideration his age etc, he probably did better than you, I and a few others are crediting him for. Before you unleash a tin of dummy spitting on me, it's not a pop at you, read on...

I think it's relevant that you bring up Rooney as a 16 year old. I think that's the problem when we all watched these young ones on Thursday. We are looking for something spectacular. The expectation is that one of these kids must be a 'worldy'. Yet look at the amount of pro footballers, only a select minority are 'worldys'. Or as it is today, another Barkley. That would be brill...but so would finding 5 Osmans...as in players who can capably play for us for years to come and cost nothing but wages.

I agree with the last paragraph. But I genuinely didn't notice the lad as stand out. He could go on to be an Osman. But it's one of the most crucial times in development 17-20. That's when a lot of lads fall - the last hurdle. We'll have to wait and see.

I think the special player is going to be Green. I genuinely believe in his hype!

I agree with the last paragraph. But I genuinely didn't notice the lad as stand out. He could go on to be an Osman. But it's one of the most crucial times in development 17-20. That's when a lot of lads fall - the last hurdle. We'll have to wait and see.

I think the special player is going to be Green. I genuinely believe in his hype!

No, like I say, I didn't either. But, again, was it an expectation thing?

I think a lot of these players fall because if they are half decent they get a multi thousand a week contract and by nature of their age and mentality...fuck it right up. Too much, too soon.

I'm also looking forward to Green. Hopefully his injuries haven't done him too much harm.

I think a lot of these players fall because if they are half decent they get a multi thousand a week contract and by nature of their age and mentality...fuck it right up. Too much, too soon.

From the few interviews Ledson has given he seems like a level-headed kid. In fact, most of our youngsters you hear from do, so the club must be doing something right with that type of work with them.

From the few interviews Ledson has given he seems like a level-headed kid. In fact, most of our youngsters you hear from do, so the club must be doing something right with that type of work with them.

Yeah, I hope so. Hopefully a new generation are coming through. I don't blame the players...more the club's, agents and parents.

You want them all to do well, at any club, as it's such a rare opportunity for them.

For a 17 year old he didn't look out of place. That's enough to say to me that the lad has something.

The other lads had good moments but also looked a little out of their depth...other than Garbutt.

Ledson looked comfortable.

I would agree with that, you certainly wouldnt know that he was 17 by the way he played.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Joined Cambridge United on Loan.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/11/20/ledson-loaned-to-us

With no disrespect to CU, I thought he was Championship Level potential, is this just to guarantee first team football?

I expected him to make his mark this year, not seen anything to suggest he's ready for the first team.

Patto - Can you shed some more light?

Joined Cambridge United on Loan.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/11/20/ledson-loaned-to-us

With no disrespect to CU, I thought he was Championship Level potential, is this just to guarantee first team football?

I expected him to make his mark this year, not seen anything to suggest he's ready for the first team.

Patto - Can you shed some more light?

agreed strange. was big upped by many on here yet like most of the academy lads will most likely be sold to a lower side. hope he is player of the year, fingers crossed.

I really don't see why there's worry about what league he's gone to.

Think about it logically. He plays in a position that carries a lot of responsibility and he's still a baby in footballing terms, so it makes sense to start him at the bottom and let him build himself up. Plus, at a lower league club he's much more likely to get toughened up, which he'll need for the position he does play. Also, he's more likely to get more minutes on the pitch.

I really don't see why there's worry about what league he's gone to.

Think about it logically. He plays in a position that carries a lot of responsibility and he's still a baby in footballing terms, so it makes sense to start him at the bottom and let him build himself up. Plus, at a lower league club he's much more likely to get toughened up, which he'll need for the position he does play. Also, he's more likely to get more minutes on the pitch.

It'll be character building for sure.

Did the likes of Beckham no harm.

He's straight in for his debut against Accrington Stanley. They have a good playing surface at Cambridge, which should suit him, and they've just changed their manager a couple of weeks ago to Share Derry, who should know a bit about playing in central midfield. Hope it's a good experience for Ryan.

Playing for lower league clubs will be a good grounding for him. He has been at the upper level of football academy education and been involved with England for a long time.

For me maybe the likes of George Green and Jose Baxter could have done with this earlier on. For a kid who is treated to staying in good hotels and having a lot of the best of everything can spoil them and reduce the hunger.

Look at Harry Kane - the lad went to Leyton orient and Millwall on loan and you can see in his attitude, the same with Vardy.

Playing for lower league clubs will be a good grounding for him. He has been at the upper level of football academy education and been involved with England for a long time.

For me maybe the likes of George Green and Jose Baxter could have done with this earlier on. For a kid who is treated to staying in good hotels and having a lot of the best of everything can spoil them and reduce the hunger.

Look at Harry Kane - the lad went to Leyton orient and Millwall on loan and you can see in his attitude, the same with Vardy.

Struggled at Championship level when he was loaned out. People weren't sure he could do it at a higher level. His loans in the latter stages weren't seen as successful. Could mix it up in League One though. Seems to be finding his feet at the top.

Struggled at Championship level when he was loaned out. People weren't sure he could do it at a higher level. His loans in the latter stages weren't seen as successful. Could mix it up in League One though. Seems to be finding his feet at the top.

I think Haf's comment had more to do with character building. Playing in an environment where you aren't pampered and have to be tough, really compete, and be part of a team can do wonders for a kid that's just been playing in the hermetically sealed environment of academy football.