IGNORED

Santiago Arias

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Appparently they want £30 mill for him and at 27 there is no chance of a decent resale amount so can’t see it 

For a squad player, that has 2-3 years in the tank? That seems more a Walsh strategy than Brands

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, c1982 said:

King is usually a good source of info so this could be a goer. Would imagine it signals Kenny’s departure if true, whether it be permanently or another loan (as this could prove to be Coleman’s final year).

will we finally become the club that lets players leave when their contract extends?  for so long we have given mediocre and old players contract extensions when they weren't warranted leaving us stuck with wages and bodies.  it would be a serious triumph if Brands has corrected this.  

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

will we finally become the club that lets players leave when their contract extends?  for so long we have given mediocre and old players contract extensions when they weren't warranted leaving us stuck with wages and bodies.  it would be a serious triumph if Brands has corrected this.  

Like who out of interest? 

44 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

besic extension, garbutt extension, jags last year, mirallas extension, that's in the last few years.  the jags one is debateable (not by me, but others loved him), but the other 3 were awful moves just a waste of wages and roster spots.

Mirallas had played 30 odd games the season it was agreed.

Garbutt had come off breaking through into the first team under Martinez.

Besic was the same, he had played a lot the previous season. 

Jags was more about the club, same as it was with Baines and as it probably will be with Coleman. They are the old Everton that you need around the club.

I think its more a case of hindsight playing its part. 

On 18/08/2020 at 11:51, Bailey said:

Mirallas had played 30 odd games the season it was agreed.

Garbutt had come off breaking through into the first team under Martinez.

Besic was the same, he had played a lot the previous season. 

Jags was more about the club, same as it was with Baines and as it probably will be with Coleman. They are the old Everton that you need around the club.

I think its more a case of hindsight playing its part. 

Disagree about Mirallas, but maybe my judgment is clouded.  Recollection is that he had already gone to seed and most on here were befuddled by the extension.

15 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Disagree about Mirallas, but maybe my judgment is clouded.  Recollection is that he had already gone to seed and most on here were befuddled by the extension.

14 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Not to mention he had a blowout with Martinez was on the outs then re-signed, classic everton.

To be fair, when you said it I agreed as that is what I thought as well but turns out he had more or less played the whole season before that. On that basis it wasn't unusual for an extension to be granted.

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Not to mention he had a blowout with Martinez was on the outs then re-signed, classic everton.

At the time we wouldn’t of wanted him leaving on a free. Most clubs did it then and only really seen a change in recent years with clubs letting players contracts expire. Hindsight is an amazing thing. 

21 minutes ago, barryj said:

At the time we wouldn’t of wanted him leaving on a free. Most clubs did it then and only really seen a change in recent years with clubs letting players contracts expire. Hindsight is an amazing thing. 

honestly i think it's a US/Euro thing.  here in the US contracts are let expire all the time and there is almost no sentimentality towards players.  lifetime hall of fame one team players will be let go when their contract is done and no 1 year freebie extension is offered because simply its a waste of money.  with the salary caps here any penny saved is a bonus so players are cut/released/traded/let go without a second thought simply because they need the money to be under the salary cap or bring in players who will actually play (talking NFL, NBA, NHL).  in EU/UK it seems there is more loyalty to the players from the teams.  I applaud that honestly, i think it's more humane.  I think my issue is i'm taking my cutthroat US sports strategy to a market that simply doesn't do it.  It's my fault, i need to adjust my logic on this one.

45 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

honestly i think it's a US/Euro thing.  here in the US contracts are let expire all the time and there is almost no sentimentality towards players.  lifetime hall of fame one team players will be let go when their contract is done and no 1 year freebie extension is offered because simply its a waste of money.  with the salary caps here any penny saved is a bonus so players are cut/released/traded/let go without a second thought simply because they need the money to be under the salary cap or bring in players who will actually play (talking NFL, NBA, NHL).  in EU/UK it seems there is more loyalty to the players from the teams.  I applaud that honestly, i think it's more humane.  I think my issue is i'm taking my cutthroat US sports strategy to a market that simply doesn't do it.  It's my fault, i need to adjust my logic on this one.

It isn’t that it’s that you can’t afford to let a player walk for free when even the worst ones in squad make more in transfer fee than the wages you pay / loan fee etc. 

• 4 weeks later...