IGNORED

Excitement for 2015/16 Season

we wont be saying that in five games time. i think yesterday shows what to expect this season. Against watford at home we needed to come out all guns blazing, granted we may have left gaps but watford knew what to do, just sit back. Barry and Mccarthy should not be happening against Watford end of

I see the error of my ways, as we've already fallen one spot since I posted. Worse, much worse, Liverpool [sorry, the RedShite] have moved past us.

Only very slightly more seriously, I simply wanted to note that Gooners must be fair apoplectic after their team's, um, performance today. Our first-half lethargy looks positively vibrant compared to whatever strategy Wenger's lads had on display.

I acknowledge the clear possibility that in 5 games time, we may be straining to see as far up as 7th.

I will take some small consolation if we're still ahead of Arsenal.

I see the error of my ways, as we've already fallen one spot since I posted. Worse, much worse, Liverpool [sorry, the RedShite] have moved past us.

Only very slightly more seriously, I simply wanted to note that Gooners must be fair apoplectic after their team's, um, performance today. Our first-half lethargy looks positively vibrant compared to whatever strategy Wenger's lads had on display.

I acknowledge the clear possibility that in 5 games time, we may be straining to see as far up as 7th.

I will take some small consolation if we're still ahead of Arsenal.

WTF is this post all about?

Yer, the substitution changed the dynamics of the game he got that right. Their second came down our right so no blame to Barry at lb either.

That substitution was the source of both our goals so I don't see how you can criticise it :huh:.

am I reading that tight; BR was the reason for both our goals?

WTF is this post all about?

This thread is about "excitement." Post-Watford, post 182 was a rueful attempt at looking on the bright side. Things could be worse. True, not that exciting.

Then, post 186 -- "WTF" -- was a commentary on posts 183-185. More ruefulness, with some unkind words for Arsenal and Liverpool.

Much ado about nothing.

This thread is about "excitement." Post-Watford, post 182 was a rueful attempt at looking on the bright side. Things could be worse. True, not that exciting.

Then, post 186 -- "WTF" -- was a commentary on posts 183-185. More ruefulness, with some unkind words for Arsenal and Liverpool.

Much ado about nothing.

Nope you've completely lost me.... Why on earth are you talking about the league table after one game?

Nope you've completely lost me.... Why on earth are you talking about the league table after one game?

Really, I was/am just being silly. My point -- though that's being generous, to me -- was originally that as dull as we played in the first half, and as appalling as it is to have barely managed a draw with, jeez, Watford, that our result was better (pathetically "better") than Arsenal's. Their result, I'd bet, was more shocking to their fans than was ours to ours.

Reference to the table was absolutely silly, of course. I was pretending -- pretending, with gentle sarcasm, or so I intended -- to scold those posters who seemed -- undoubtedly themselves pretending -- ready to give up on the season after one admittedly very disappointing result. So, my positive spin ("excitement") was to note how well, relative to Arsenal, Everton now sits in the table. "Cheer up, look at the Gunner dolts."

Which position in the table, as you say, is utterly meaningless. Which I know, and knew when I referenced it. Much ado about less than nothing. Silly. I'd promise to reform, but it would be a lie.

And here's proof: I hope WBrom and City draw 0-0 tomorrow, so we'll stay tied for 7th, and more exciting still, a mere 2 points off the top spot........

Given the inevitable ups and downs of an EPL season, it may not make perfect sense to be so up after one match. But it was a way-up performance today. Recognizing the downer of Baines's injury and the unlikelihood that we'll ever again see the Baines-Pienaar show, it's still possible to be pretty excited.

We may still be cautious, even skeptical, re new signings in this window. But for me they key to any "exciting scenario" is less 2-3 new signings than the hope that we will see fewer injuries, and thus a healthy Mirallas, Deulofeu, Besic, Oviedo, McGeady, Gibson, Baines (in 2016).

To be optimistic about finishing top 4-6, we have to hope/pray/believe/hallucinate the following:

1. Few additional injuries, very few, no further long-term missing players. Real recovery for all current short-and long-term injured.

2. The Lukaku, Kone, and Barkley of the Southampton match are the "real" L, K, and B. Maybe not the brilliance of today, but consistent solid-to-excellent play. Consistent, not wild fluctuations.

3. Tim Howard having at least one more strong season left. This one.

4. A little luck, including refereeing howlers trending more in our favor than against.

5. A minimum of 1, preferably 2, new signings of players who will contribute. To buy into "excitement," do we actually have to -- literally, must -- have 3 signings, of whom, say, 2 must be major, major additions? Is excitement really foolish absent the addition of a "real #10"? Absent another striker? Absent reliable center-half coverage?

• 2 weeks later...

Howard* Robles

Coleman Pennington

Stones Galloway

Jags* Mori??? Browning

Baines Oviedo (Garbutt)

Barry* Gibson

McCarthy Besic

Deulofeu Mcgeady

Mirallas Cleverley

Barkley. ??? Osman

Lukaku Kone* Naismith McAleny/Leandro

Don't think we're too far away from building something special. Obvious what we need this window and who we need to faze out next. If we keep the younger core together and we could cause the newspapers to get upset.

Howard* Robles

Coleman Pennington

Stones Galloway

Jags* Mori??? Browning

Baines Oviedo (Garbutt)

Barry* Gibson

McCarthy Besic

Deulofeu Mcgeady

Mirallas Cleverley

Barkley. ??? Osman

Lukaku Kone* Naismith McAleny/Leandro

Don't think we're too far away from building something special. Obvious what we need this window and who we need to faze out next. If we keep the younger core together and we could cause the newspapers to get upset.

The bold for me is weak.