IGNORED

Excitement for 2015/16 Season

What depresses me is that we should have at least 30-40 million to spend on players from TV revenue alone without having to sell McCarthy or Stones.

Crystal Palace and Stoke are looking far more ambitious than us and frankly that is woeful.

for the billionth time, spending does not equal ambition. They're reinforcing mediocre teams with good signings, but their squads are not yet at our level.

And again, we've got 4.5 weeks before the window closes. Don't do it to yourself! Complain if nothing happens, for now enjoy the nonsense being bandied about.

Does anyone know when the window closes? I thought there was at least a month to go yet.

I would rather the club take care in who they buy and fond the right players and characters for our club.

Would hate to see them throw money at a few tabloid names just to appease the fans.

The thing that worries me most right now is that I'm not worried or angry at the situation. If this is any other summer I'm probably getting a bit anxious about it all, but I'm not. And it's not because I'm calm about it all, it's because I just really do not give a shit. I don't care and I hate it.

The thing that worries me most right now is that I'm not worried or angry at the situation. If this is any other summer I'm probably getting a bit anxious about it all, but I'm not. And it's not because I'm calm about it all, it's because I just really do not give a shit. I don't care and I hate it.

Thats pretty much where I'm at too

Think it's me too.

for the billionth time, spending does not equal ambition. They're reinforcing mediocre teams with good signings, but their squads are not yet at our level.

And again, we've got 4.5 weeks before the window closes. Don't do it to yourself! Complain if nothing happens, for now enjoy the nonsense being bandied about.

And again I'll say nobody wants to spend for spendings sakke but yhere should be funds available to strengthen the squad like Palace , Stoke, Newcastle etc are so we KEEP the gulf in squads between us.

Saying it's ok not to strengthen because our squads stronger doesn't make any sense Matt, they are buying players, getting stronger we're standing still doing nothing. Why can they spend money but we can't.

I honestly don't get your thinking on this one mate, we're crying out for reinforcements to the side, we're desperate in some areas. Nobody wants us just to buy for buyings sake but we should be active and get our targets iin early. Are you happy to wait until deadline day to save some money when it could possibly ruin our whole season aswe're woefully short in certain areas.

I've tried to get your way if thinking here and I just don't get it.

I actually think this is my main problem too.

Football has been shambolic in general in recent years.

I'm 36 got my first season ticket in 87 when we won the league, first game was 6-1 against Southampton with a lineker hat-trick. As some other posters have said last season killed me. I've never known anything like it. I literally couldn't be arsed watching us. If we were on TV I could take it or leave it and sometimes laughed when we had conceded another farcical goal. That to me means one thing. Martinez is not the man for us. After last season we should have been the first club out the blocks. We should have prioritised a playmaker with guile, a trick and a final pass. Something I thought Martinez would have got as soon as he got here. Players that terrorised us last year like yarmelenko would have been ideal but I have to watch the likes of Stoke going for him. I just think Martinez has gone "safe" and is happy to play Barry every single game which is a joke. Unless we pull some inspired signings out and spend £30 mill plus I can see us bottom six after the first six games and mid table again. I want to be positive so I think cleverly will turn out to be a solid signing. Ditch the regimented 4-2-3-1 like moyes was its too easy for teams to play against us and maybe we will have success

Everton are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We need specific type of players who have the talent to be in a champions league squad but not the profile (as champs league teams will pick them up).

Also for them not to be money grabbers. Why go to Everton for a slightly higher chance of Europe when you can get paid more to go to West ham or Stoke? Etc. more annoyingly you've then got desperate teams like hull and Sunderland pushing transfer prices up.

A club like Everton needs to get players at what they're worth, but there is very little value out there Deloufeu, tripper, and Clyne the only ones I can think of. I can see a lot of zigic-esque signings this summer, which I'm happy Everton aren't involved with, but sadly I can't see any players coming our way.

And again I'll say nobody wants to spend for spendings sakke but yhere should be funds available to strengthen the squad like Palace , Stoke, Newcastle etc are so we KEEP the gulf in squads between us.

Saying it's ok not to strengthen because our squads stronger doesn't make any sense Matt, they are buying players, getting stronger we're standing still doing nothing. Why can they spend money but we can't.

I honestly don't get your thinking on this one mate, we're crying out for reinforcements to the side, we're desperate in some areas. Nobody wants us just to buy for buyings sake but we should be active and get our targets iin early. Are you happy to wait until deadline day to save some money when it could possibly ruin our whole season aswe're woefully short in certain areas.

I've tried to get your way if thinking here and I just don't get it.

Strengthening the squad is not necessarily about numbers. Too many rocks the boat, too few don't shake up a squad, and if you sign the wrong character you're screwed. I've not said once we don't need to sign someone else, I just don't get worried that other teams are flashing the cash and bringing in "big names".

They've brought in some good players but nothing drastic. Plus theres still loads of time. Its not ideal to get people in last minute, but it's worked for us on many occasions. Besides, its not like they're missing out on our amazing preseason, probably better to let them do their friendlies against competent competition so they're actually fit. To be honest, waiting until the last minute to save money doesn't concern me. Waiting until the last minute to get the right men does.

Plus, Codine is quite a nice drug :)

That might be, but we have several players who need to be replaced soon. Do you seriously think we will be able to buy similar quality players then? Howard, Jagielka, Osman, Pienaar and Barry need replacing at some point, some sooner than others. And as we really need a few players in the current team just to make the numbers the manager needs to really find some bargains and not buy too many duds to pull this off. And Martinez has hardly been faultless in the transfer market so far (Kone, Alcaraz, McGeady). I'd rather something is done this summer than leaving everything until forced to do something.

I really don't subscribe to the doom and gloom in this thread. Even if we were like other clubs, there's over a month to go before the window closes. No team is going to broadcast, "Hey guys. We have 40m to spend!" That would add a few million to every price tag right away. You go about your business quietly and under the radar. If it means waiting until the end of the window to get the best price, so be it. Frankly, who cares what other teams do or who they buy? It's totally irrelevant.

Anyway, I have a totally different perspective on this. As a team without a billionaire looking to waste money (thank goodness!), we must have a different strategy. Why not invest half of our available funds in exciting new talent that will come through in two or three years time? Why not upgrade Finch Farm to help these youngsters? Why not establish links with one or two teams in the Championship or League One so these prospects get the chance to develop? Oh, wait a minute - that's just what we're doing!

And why not establish links with one of Europe's top teams? Liverpool have links with Roma because they have the same owners. Why can't we establish links with, say, Barcelona? We can take some of their top youngsters and give them a chance to play and develop. Some might even enjoy the experience and make it clear they want to join us for less when other top Premier League teams come sniffing. Oh, wait a minute - that's just what we're doing!

This is how we play on a different field. We can't compete if we go out there and buy players like everyone else. The top talent goes to the moneybags. The rest pick out the dregs or has-beens or injury risks. We've don a bit of that. For backup players or to use experienced players to bring along the inexperienced, that's just fine. But we have to be smart and do things differently. And we are.

The only issue is that this is building a legacy and not instant gratification. It requires a little patience. And it means letting the other teams do their thing and not allow the latest headlines and rumours get us worked up.

Let's have a look at your points.

Why not invest in youth? Well, most teams try to do this at least to a certain degree. The problem is that the competition is fierce for the best talent so they are also expensive. And there is no guarantee they take the next step. We have been doing this after all. Stones is an excellent example, hopefully Garbutt, too. But there are always a George Green or Fransisco Junior. Or someone who even without off-field problems just won't develop as hoped. So yes, this is obviously a strategy that everyone likes but it has it's drawbacks. And you need not only a large scouting network, you also need more staff at the training ground than your competition. The best examples are Ajax and Barcelona, but they have both been doing this for a long time, both are top dogs in their leagues (so everyone wants to join them) and they have a system that runs through the club from the youngest players to the first team. A footballing philosophy. But that requires far more forward thinking than our board has because a football philosophy means that when the manager changes, the new guy must sign to that philosophy and be a good fit. You can't change the entire system every three years. But who would create that system? At Barcelona you got legends like Rinus Michels and later Johan Cruyff doing that. Unless Roberto Martinez is a modern Rinus Michels (not convinced yet) how do we find a manager who is so good and forward-thinking that he can create a system that lasts for decades?

A link with Barca would be nice but I bet there are a few dozen clubs who would like that.

Edited by Makis

I really don't subscribe to the doom and gloom in this thread. Even if we were like other clubs, there's over a month to go before the window closes. No team is going to broadcast, "Hey guys. We have 40m to spend!" That would add a few million to every price tag right away. You go about your business quietly and under the radar. If it means waiting until the end of the window to get the best price, so be it. Frankly, who cares what other teams do or who they buy? It's totally irrelevant.

If we were competing in a league that only involved Everton then that would be valid, but seeing as we have to play and beat these other teams I think it's quite relevant who they buy!

Agree wholeheartedly with Pete0 - Everton are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We need specific type of players who have the talent to be in a champions league squad but not the profile (as champs league teams will pick them up).

And CornishSteve - Anyway, I have a totally different perspective on this. As a team without a billionaire looking to waste money (thank goodness!), we must have a different strategy. Why not invest half of our available funds in exciting new talent that will come through in two or three years time?

I have many pet peeves in this world but none larger than complaining for complaining's sake. This board is full of it. We don't have a billionaire owner and we don't pay crazy wages. That immediately eliminates a large number of names available in the transfer market. Everton has been and will continue to be successful if they focus on youth development and finding the right budget-conscious transfers. Our biggest transfers are Lukaku, Felli, McCarthy, Yakubu, Bily, A Johnson. That is hardly a ringing endorsement to spend big.

Whether or not you want Barry/Osman/Pienaar/Hibbert on the team is a completely different conversation from they need replacing. You can't replace them until they leave! Once again we aren't in Champs league we cannot afford to have a 35 man squad. As long as those older players are on the roster stop talking about replacing them. They will be replaced when we dont have to pay them anymore.

The argument that you shouldnt focus on youth development because there is no guarantee they take the next step is LUDICROUS!! The benefits far outweigh the risks and that has been proven time and time again. The youngsters understand the club, the atmosphere and most importantly what it means to pull on that blue shirt. Sure 8-9 out of 10 don't make it at this level but you save more money and perform more consistently going about it this way than failing with 5-6/10 transfers.

Perhaps im naive or stupid or ignorant or all 3 but as far as I'm concerned Chelsea can keep their titles, Liverpool can keep sucking and spending gobs of money, Man City can keep their titles. I like the way Everton do things. I like that it's a family club built on tradition and hard work. I certainly haven't been a fan as long as most but for me achieving CL football would be the highest of highs. To accomplish that with the way football works today would be an achievement of epic proportions. And i believe it will happen. Maybe not this year but in the next three and I'm willing to be patient.

That was quite a speech. Bravo sir.

2 weeks till ko, so doubtful any new additions will from now will start and I'm worried going into the first game we are no better than last season.

Howard

Coleman stones jags baines

Mirallas mccarthy Barry Cleverley

Barkley

Lukaku

Hopefully, Tim has found some glasses as I'd blame him alone for at least 10 points dropped last season, plus core players like Barkley, jags, Coleman, and baines have to step up from the off. Can not be arsed with a long slow paced boring season of getting caught out whilst shifting the ball at snail pace with no threat. Good thing that we have a tough start so should be able to get the players geared up, but I'm fearful Martinez will be a stubborn bastard and carry on with his out dated fitness philosophy as we got over run by arsenal and without fitness you're not going to compete in the prem.

Am I the only one who is excited by the team above haha?

I understand that we don't have depth yet, but our first team is beginning to look pretty tidy.

I actually blame last season on play style rather than players.

Edited by Shukes

Am I the only one who is excited by the team above haha?

I understand that we don't have depth yet, but our first team is beginning to look pretty tidy.

I actually blame last season on play style rather than players.

That is THE problem.

1st team can take on most teams (we'd hope) but beyond that, we have very little.

And your second point is poignant because you can have a fantastic first team but if they're set up wrong or instructed badly, they'll still not play well, irrelevant of ability.

Most of our signings tend to be late, so I wont judge our performance in the transfer market till the window is closed.

I think we will play 433 given the players we have:

Howard

Coleman Stones Jags Baines

McCarthy

Barkley Cleverley

Mirallas Lukaku Del

Martinez is shit scared of starting with 2 natural wide men so never going to happen. Also the most obvious error is no Mr Barry in the team. Bar injury/suspension he's the first on the team sheet.

The only way anyone could be excited about the coming season is if they have a penchant for being in a relegation scrap.

Martinez has failed to address the failings of last season, we look short of goals, and with a tough start it seems likely to me that we will be in dire straits by as early as October.

The only way anyone could be excited about the coming season is if they have a penchant for being in a relegation scrap.

Martinez has failed to address the failings of last season, we look short of goals, and with a tough start it seems likely to me that we will be in dire straits by as early as October.

To be fair we are 8 for and 5 against over 4 games. Including a piss poor team against arsenal that was surely only aiming to gain fitness. We could have scored 8 against hearts on the weekend.