IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

On 28/05/2022 at 08:37, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61615236

I know this is a good thing but it's going to cause much more pain long term, many are going to see this as an example of why it's good to carry a gun. 

She may have saved lives, and that’s a good thing, but it’s still one civilian with a gun killing another civilian with a gun and I can’t get my head around that. 
Don’t get me wrong, if I saw a man shooting an AR-15 at a birthday party I would wish I had a gun to stop him. Thankfully it wouldn’t happen where I live. 

In addition; I would expect any responsible gun owner to not want someone who got so offended by being asked to slow down because kids were playing in the area to be able to have access to guns. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2022 at 02:46, dunlopp9987 said:

Watching the Jan 6th committee hearings, and all I can think about is that this is just more preaching to the choir. The people who need to hear this, Trump supporters, either won't ever watch or read this or they will and won't believe a word of it.

And Fox not showing it, or even having commercial breaks so people don’t change channel, won’t help that. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Well we knew it was coming, but still doesn't make it any easier to see. My stomach actually dropped when the headline popped up on my phone.

We're regressing as a society.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/roe-wade-abortion-supreme-court-ruling/index.html

Same here. I held out a little bit of hope that maybe the leak wouldn’t come true. 

…but I’m devastated. My daughter now has less rights than her mother had. I can’t imagine what women across the country are going through. Apparently Justice Thomas has implied that contraceptives, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage are on the chopping block. There are some cases out there right now where those legal points are being argued. I’m fucking nervous. 

44 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Same here. I held out a little bit of hope that maybe the leak wouldn’t come true. 

…but I’m devastated. My daughter now has less rights than her mother had. I can’t imagine what women across the country are going through. Apparently Justice Thomas has implied that contraceptives, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage are on the chopping block. There are some cases out there right now where those legal points are being argued. I’m fucking nervous. 

It's been a hard day to concentrate on work. My girlfriend, who's the lead in a production of Footloose in Minneapolis right now, has to go do a mostly high energy, upbeat show tonight. Like....how do you focus on that when it feels like society is crumbling around you

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It's been a hard day to concentrate on work. My girlfriend, who's the lead in a production of Footloose in Minneapolis right now, has to go do a mostly high energy, upbeat show tonight. Like....how do you focus on that when it feels like society is crumbling around you

Yeah, I talked to my mom a little while ago and she's pissed. She's very Republican, but even she did not take this well because one issue she is left of center on is abortion. She mentioned she's not voting R in the upcoming elections, and I can only hope that is the case for a lot of folks. 

It just blows my mind that the majority of the country supports abortion rights, but 6 justices fucked over the majority. How is this democracy? 

(It's not)

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

Yeah, I talked to my mom a little while ago and she's pissed. She's very Republican, but even she did not take this well because one issue she is left of center on is abortion. She mentioned she's not voting R in the upcoming elections, and I can only hope that is the case for a lot of folks. 

It just blows my mind that the majority of the country supports abortion rights, but 6 justices fucked over the majority. How is this democracy? 

(It's not)

Honestly, this country has never been a democracy.

Also I too hope you're right about there being backlash come the midterms. Just read an article that claims that Trump has said that if Roe v Wade were overturned, it could be very bad for republicans in November.

Fingers crossed

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Not convinced it was accidental unfortunately 

Me neither. I think she said exactly what she intended on saying. Fucking disgusting. 

I hope that so many people who don’t vote turn out in numbers for all of their local elections and remove people like this from power. 
I hope we see the same actions here too. 

9 hours ago, StevO said:

Me neither. I think she said exactly what she intended on saying. Fucking disgusting. 

I hope that so many people who don’t vote turn out in numbers for all of their local elections and remove people like this from power. 
I hope we see the same actions here too. 

Agreed, a vast majority of Americans don’t think like her, they see equality for all. It’s a very slow process and been hundreds years in the process and may never end, but that doesn’t mean people should give up the fight for equality for all it means we should fight even harder. 

On 28/06/2022 at 14:23, MikeO said:

Sorry for the T word but this confuses me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61971428

T, "I didn't want or request that we make room for people with guns to watch my speech. Who would ever want that?"

But that's their second ammendment right surely? Why shouldn't they be allowed to bear arms whenever and wherever they like?

This is what we call trying to save yourself from jail time haha

I mean obviously he will never be indicted, and nothing will come of the Jan 6th hearings.

In other news, SCOTUS is really out here trying to make this country the absolute fucking worst place on earth. Biden and the Dems have failed to expand the courts, and now we're in full-scale constitutional crisis.

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Forgive my ignorance but what is the realistic consequence of this, can the president override the supreme court?

Basically the president issues an executive order, and it becomes law. Congress(through legislation) or a new president can overturn it, and the Supreme Court can rule it unconstitutional on the grounds it's an overreach of power. It's definitely a temporary solution, and it still needs to be codified into law through Congress. Ron DeSantis could become president in 2024 and overturn it, for example(which he would most likely do). 

• 1 month later...
On 12/08/2022 at 14:39, dunlopp9987 said:

Think we might be about to see something finally stick to Teflon Don

I don’t think anything will happen to him besides him basically not being able to run for President again. 

I would absolutely LOVE to see some jail time for him though. I would personally feel vindicated, because he’s gotten away with so much crooked shit.

The cover story for this month's Atlantic is one of the best pieces of journalism I've ever read. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to read it through, it's all about the Trump administration's child-separation policy at the border in 2018. 

It is an incredible piece of dogged journalism, but it is....a very hard read. I can't imagine reading it if I had children of my own. I was livid, heartbroken, dumbfounded. One of the biggest humanitarian disasters of our time and I feel like it's been completely forgotten about.

On 15/08/2022 at 18:50, Sibdane said:

I don’t think anything will happen to him besides him basically not being able to run for President again. 

I would absolutely LOVE to see some jail time for him though. I would personally feel vindicated, because he’s gotten away with so much crooked shit.

That would be the worst outcome for democrats. Biden and/or Harris as the incumbent nominee would be the weakest presidential candidate/ticket that I can ever recall. I'm not sure they could beat anyone...but Trump. Trump may have a "base", but he is so polarizing that he is unelectable, IMO. The democrats would turn out to vote against Trump, but a huge amount of the right and the moderates will not vote for him, period. Trump running in 2024 is the WORST thing that could happen to the GOP, and ergo, the best outcome for the democrats - again, in my opinion.

If we have a "rematch" ticket in 20204, the best possible outcome - maybe the only decent outcome - for the GOP would be Biden/Harris winning, with the GOP controlling the House at +10 or so and Senate at +4-6.