IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Well, not the "red tsunami" that Republicans were expecting! It looks likely they'll take back the house, but the Senate could theoretically still stay blue. I think it'll come down to another run-off in Georgia. 

It all comes down to Georgia again. Sometimes I'm rather proud of this state. On the other hand, Marjorie Taylor Greene was just re-elected for the district in which I live.

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

What I'm really excited for is the republican party tearing itself apart trying to decide between Desantis and Trump. Desantis' performance last night surely puts him at the front of the line, but this is the party of Trump. 

Grab your popcorn, friends!

While I despise Donald Trump more than any other politician and view him as genuinely evil, I have to admire his marketing ability. Before he became president, his nicknames for opponents were very effective. "Little Marco" completely undermined Senator Rubio's experience, depicting him as an innocent young thing trying to play in a world of grown-ups. Of course, "Sleepy Joe" resonated with his supporters as he attacked then candidate Biden. Trump has missed the mark with Desantis, though, because his chosen name DeSanctimonious has no real bite.

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

Trump announced he's running for president again. Should be an entertaining year. 

Was always coming, wasn't it. Rumors are that he chose to do it this early because it shields him from potential criminal proceedings. Because this is much earlier than candidates usually announce. 

The republican infighting between camp Trump and camp Desantis is going to be absolutely unbelievable to watch. I cannot wait.

31 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Was always coming, wasn't it. Rumors are that he chose to do it this early because it shields him from potential criminal proceedings. Because this is much earlier than candidates usually announce. 

The republican infighting between camp Trump and camp Desantis is going to be absolutely unbelievable to watch. I cannot wait.

It's going to be wild for sure. I don't see Trump bowing out gracefully even though DeSantis is a stronger candidate for their party as a whole. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Absolute joke, that's eight votes now with nobody budging. How does this get sorted?

Now we're back to the farcical sight of the same guys being nominated in horrible obsequious language; the republican claiming to have a tear in his eye in the last round of nominations was hilarious, and the fact that his fellow repubs gave him an ovation for such fakery was even funnier.

UK plc is fucked but the US is providing some light entertainment at least.

On 05/01/2023 at 12:09, MikeO said:

This speaker election stuff is getting ridiculous - also, why does the clerk have to get a verbal vote from every bloody member? It takes for ever, why not just a cross in a box?

Late to this, but I really hate that they do this. I mean, even game shoes have ways of doing quick votes electronically. It’s an absolute waste of time. 

No doubt McCarthy made a ton of concessions to his on party on spots for committees, future votes, etc. A handful of the ultra far-right have him by the balls now. Pathetic. 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, StevO said:

Another school shooting. I just can’t get my head around it. How can they still not do anything about it? 

For anyone not sure why it keeps happening, really simple, don’t let everyone have a fucking gun. 

Because a lot of their politicians are owned by the gun companies.

Money matters more to these politicians than people's lives.

They're banning drag shows etc in the name of protecting children (laughable in itself) but when they could do something that would actually protect children? The best they can do is offer thoughts and prayers.

10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Because a lot of their politicians are owned by the gun companies.

Money matters more to these politicians than people's lives.

They're banning drag shows etc in the name of protecting children (laughable in itself) but when they could do something that would actually protect children? The best they can do is offer thoughts and prayers.

Fortunately it’s only one half of their politicians, if only more sensible members of the voting public would remove them. 

I’ve read even if he is found guilty it doesn’t mean he can’t stand for the next presidency. The craziness of this world and those in it I can’t help thinking being indicted and being found guilty or not is going to make even more popular and help him regain the presidency. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...