Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

As far as I’m aware Parliament have already voted that we cannot leave without a deal, so I cannot see how Boris or him can say we will leave without a deal if we have to it’s not solely their decision. 

They’ve changed the laws before, they can change them again. 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

They’ve changed the laws before, they can change them again. 

Very true Matt but to change what Parliament has already sanctioned they would have to convince a lot of MPs to change their minds, and I cannot see that happening. 

20 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Very true Matt but to change what Parliament has already sanctioned they would have to convince a lot of MPs to change their minds, and I cannot see that happening. 

Doesn't need that, a new PM could "prorogue" parliament effectively shutting it down so the default position of leave without a deal would happen without the House having any say. Raab said he'd do it, Boris has said nothing on anything; he's obviously been told that the only way he's going to possibly not win is to actually open his mouth and say something retarded (hate that word but in this case it's the only one I can think of). Already ducked out of one TV debate, he's going to do the same for the Sky one tomorrow.

We're doomed Captain Mainwaring.

Capture.JPG

42 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Doesn't need that, a new PM could "prorogue" parliament effectively shutting it down so the default position of leave without a deal would happen without the House having any say. Raab said he'd do it, Boris has said nothing on anything; he's obviously been told that the only way he's going to possibly not win is to actually open his mouth and say something retarded (hate that word but in this case it's the only one I can think of). Already ducked out of one TV debate, he's going to do the same for the Sky one tomorrow.

We're doomed Captain Mainwaring.

Capture.JPG

That was said by Raabid but in reality it wouldn’t stand or happen, it was the voice of a desperate man trying to prove he meant business, we’ve left the times of Oliver Cromwell Boris or anyone else wouldn’t succeed trying to go down that road. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That was said by Raabid but in reality it wouldn’t stand or happen, it was the voice of a desperate man trying to prove he meant business, we’ve left the times of Oliver Cromwell Boris or anyone else wouldn’t succeed trying to go down that road. 

As far as I'm aware neither C Hunt or Boris have ruled it out.

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

The high Court and the queen with the backing of the majority of MPs and the House of Lords would suspend the Parliament and the powers of the PM. 

I wouldn’t concern yourself to much that that would happen, that was just the rantings of Raab even the EU wouldn’t accept that as constitutional. 

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Well you can count Boris out of that equation he has just announced he will be leaving with a deal, in his words “ things between us and the EU have changed in the last 3 years “ I think more like he now realises what a monumental fuck up he has helped to create, and now he may become PM he hasn’t got the courage to press the self destruct button. 

All this from a man who was going to walk away without a deal who believed any deal was a bad deal now advocating a deal, if that’s not proof that he lied to also who voted Brexit I don't know what is. 

Personally all this is adding up to a second referendum and us staying and rightfully so. 

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

MPs have already been blackmailed by May into changing their minds. They’re fickle and predominantly looking after themselves. Wouldn’t need much convincing at all in my opinion

On 25/06/2019 at 08:36, Matt said:

MPs have already been blackmailed by May into changing their minds. They’re fickle and predominantly looking after themselves. Wouldn’t need much convincing at all in my opinion

MP's are the most self serving people on the planet - all parties.

Matt, off-thread I know, but have been reading about the spat between Switzerland and the EU.  As you are at the coal-face, as they say,  I would be interested in hearing your take on this.

19 minutes ago, johnh said:

MP's are the most self serving people on the planet - all parties.

Matt, off-thread I know, but have been reading about the spat between Switzerland and the EU.  As you are at the coal-face, as they say,  I would be interested in hearing your take on this.

Pretty sure we’ve covered this before and not much has changed. It’s just negotiations. Both sides know the importance of the other. Honestly, there’s never anything about this on the radio or in papers that I see, and everyone (Swiss) I know has a positive view on the EU. 

The immigration thing in Switzerland is hilarious. Nearly all immigrants work in the boarder cantons, all of which support immigration, and Switzerland is largely dependent on it. The noise comes from the more rural cantons who are barely effected. The big issue is the frontaliers, people who work in Switzerland but live on the other side of the border in France for example (meaning they make a fortune and take the money out of Switzerland) but this is 100% in Swiss hands because they issue the permits to allow people to do it. 

So far as I see, it’s just media noise.

at least we agree on MPs :) I deliberately didn’t mention parties. It’s shocking that people elected to represent the population concentrate on their own careers rather than the good of the country. “Democracy”, :lol: 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Pretty sure we’ve covered this before and not much has changed. It’s just negotiations. Both sides know the importance of the other. Honestly, there’s never anything about this on the radio or in papers that I see, and everyone (Swiss) I know has a positive view on the EU. 

The immigration thing in Switzerland is hilarious. Nearly all immigrants work in the boarder cantons, all of which support immigration, and Switzerland is largely dependent on it. The noise comes from the more rural cantons who are barely effected. The big issue is the frontaliers, people who work in Switzerland but live on the other side of the border in France for example (meaning they make a fortune and take the money out of Switzerland) but this is 100% in Swiss hands because they issue the permits to allow people to do it. 

So far as I see, it’s just media noise.

at least we agree on MPs :) I deliberately didn’t mention parties. It’s shocking that people elected to represent the population concentrate on their own careers rather than the good of the country. “Democracy”, :lol: 

Cheers Matt, thanks.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

No worries. If I hear something to the contrary I’ll let you know 

I’m sure there sort it out I expect most of the EU higher Archie have Swiss bank accounts to worry about, so they won’t be making to much noise just in case  

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’m sure there sort it out I expect most of the EU higher Archie have Swiss bank accounts to worry about, so they won’t be making to much noise just in case  

Swiss banking secrecy was lifted in 2018 under pressure from EU and the OECD.  

Current discussion is about something else (streamlining the EU - Switzerland relationship from some 120 agreements into one treaty).

8 hours ago, holystove said:

Swiss banking secrecy was lifted in 2018 under pressure from EU and the OECD.  

Current discussion is about something else (streamlining the EU - Switzerland relationship from some 120 agreements into one treaty).

Okay mate lighten up you had a sense of humour by pass operation that was said tongue in cheek, I must apologise for not taking into account that some from other countries may not get my humour and probably some from this as well, but try and stop being so officious you never know you might enjoy having a little laugh now and then 😀

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Okay mate lighten up you had a sense of humour by pass operation that was said tongue in cheek, I must apologise for not taking into account that some from other countries may not get my humour and probably some from this as well, but try and stop being so officious you never know you might enjoy having a little laugh now and then 😀

To be honest, natives struggle with your humour too...

17 hours ago, Matt said:

To be honest, natives struggle with your humour too...

What’s the weather been like for you Matt my friends son played in the European Amateur golf tournament in Austria last week, and they struggled with the heat it was so hot 🥵 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

What’s the weather been like for you Matt my friends son played in the European Amateur golf tournament in Austria last week, and they struggled with the heat it was so hot 🥵 

Between 35-37c with humidity. The cars AC has been struggling, and was often 45c when I got in it :( but cooler this week, 28c on average 

• 2 weeks later...

Did some research to find out the most senior person who has accused the EU of being 'undemocratic'.  The most senior I could find was the outgoing president of the EU, Jean-Claude Juncker.  Now if Juncker accuses you of being undemocratic, you know you're in trouble.

29 minutes ago, johnh said:

Did some research to find out the most senior person who has accused the EU of being 'undemocratic'.  The most senior I could find was the outgoing president of the EU, Jean-Claude Juncker.  Now if Juncker accuses you of being undemocratic, you know you're in trouble.

Source?

as for undemocratic, it again shows how people simply don’t understand their own democracy. The UK supposedly has a democracy but it’s a ridiculous statement to make, for the same reasons the EU is democratic