Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Sibdane said:

I don't know anything about her, but it does seem like she's a pretty terrible person.

She's one of the new generation who get famous for being famous, a reality TV product; was on The Apprentice back in 2007, also done I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! and "Celebrity" Big Brother. Hateful person.

4 hours ago, holystove said:

For the foreseeable future, the answer to every question about the future relationship will be 'it depends'.

Very true, did you get to see the news reports of the celebrations going on around the country, for me they were reminiscent of the VE Day parties after the war which were completely understandable after such a momentous occasion.
Why they felt that they need to show there pleasure in this way is beyond me, it just shows there lack of class and understanding of what has just occurred in my eyes and they want us to unite as one and move forward. 
Well if that’s the face of Britain 🇬🇧 that they want to betray to the EU and the rest of the world, that they need to work, trade and form friendships with then I want nothing to do with them, for me it showed an embarrassing form of nationalism fever that I want know part of, and the sticking of two fingers up to the remainers and the rest of the EU. 
What was largely the feeling of most EU citizens to see images like that coming from Britain, it would be interesting to know. 

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

Very true, did you get to see the news reports of the celebrations going on around the country, for me they were reminiscent of the VE Day parties after the war which were completely understandable after such a momentous occasion.
Why they felt that they need to show there pleasure in this way is beyond me, it just shows there lack of class and understanding of what has just occurred in my eyes and they want us to unite as one and move forward. 
Well if that’s the face of Britain 🇬🇧 that they want to betray to the EU and the rest of the world, that they need to work, trade and form friendships with then I want nothing to do with them, for me it showed an embarrassing form of nationalism fever that I want know part of, and the sticking of two fingers up to the remainers and the rest of the EU. 
What was largely the feeling of most EU citizens to see images like that coming from Britain, it would be interesting to know. 

I made a conscious decision to avoid any TV and radio last night, and happily nobody within earshot of me was dense enough to light a firework.

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

It is just the nature of the beast for institutions to try and grow. Before the beginning of the First World War government spending in Europe was between 10 and 20% of GDP. Today it is approaching 50% across Europe. A government will always seek to grow by raising taxes and spending money on social schemes just as a businessman  will look to grow his own business. The only time this stops in when they face competition or the economies of scale stop working in their favour. For government it is when the public resist tax rises and vote for conservative parties.

The EU has behaved in exactly this pattern. It has continued to grow by adding new member states, creating a monetary union and now wants military union and greater federalisation of law making. Eventually other countries will take a look at this and decide that they want to get off. Smaller nations who are still contributors will be required to pick up the slack caused by our departure. Nations like Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium etc might find they also are becoming more sceptical about the institution of the EU.

The EU has behaved as any other empire of the past but has sought to expand itself through economic policies rather than conquest. The results, however, have remained pretty much the same. ALL empires over reach, ALL empires fail in the end.

The Republic of Ireland are net contributors to the EU budget for the first time.  They will also be required to pick up the slack by our departure.

6 minutes ago, johnh said:

The Republic of Ireland are net contributors to the EU budget for the first time.  They will also be required to pick up the slack by our departure.

With the amount of money we have had to give them to buy ourselves out ( which may I add Boris said wouldn’t cost us a penny to leave) they won’t miss our money for many years to come. 
But it’s estimated once the interest is added to the loan it will take a generation to pay it back, smart move that. 

On 01/02/2020 at 04:46, Palfy said:

I must say the reports on the celebrations were indeed framed as nationalism.  EU continentals who only have a passing intrest in brexit, still view it with disbelief.

The next phase will be very interesting.  The project is most definitely now on brexiters and you can already sense the nervousness.  

I see only two outcomes.  Brexit will either be a democratic failure if the UK continues to follow EU rules without a say to protect its economy ; or it will be an economic failure if the UK tries to sever ties to its biggest economic partner.

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

That's some seriously brilliant crossword setting, I was a serious cryptic addict for many years but rarely saw anything that clever. 

6 hours ago, pete0 said:

86671195_3060140667359159_43651830190828

Can we ask for two passports with one for Brexiteers and another for remainers. We shouldn't suffer because of the racists and media influenced numpty's. 

People aren’t influenced by the media I have had that confirmation from a Trump supporter. 

• 3 weeks later...

To give up fisheries would be massive. It would be a huge bargaining chip as the EU would bite your hand off for it. From a national security point it's sacrificing essential resources.

Potentially the EU could put a massive levy on exporting it and as part of their trade deals with the rest of the world get them to put the same levy. The end of fish chips is nigh. 

Knowing tories are unscrupulous scum I can only imagine they'll either buy shares in the foreign fisheries to benefit their own pockets, or after using the fisheries as a bargaining chip with the EU renegade on the deal and potentially cause World War III. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/01/treasury-adviser-farming-and-fisheries-are-not-important?CMP=twt_a-environment_b-gdneco&fbclid=IwAR0e4fkYjnqaHsOGEPvJxpP9cBEC8W8uXBPMDyni_OwOHVwnbR-9bHJGZR0

25 minutes ago, pete0 said:

To give up fisheries would be massive. It would be a huge bargaining chip as the EU would bite your hand off for it. From a national security point it's sacrificing essential resources.

Potentially the EU could put a massive levy on exporting it and as part of their trade deals with the rest of the world get them to put the same levy. The end of fish chips is nigh. 

Knowing tories are unscrupulous scum I can only imagine they'll either buy shares in the foreign fisheries to benefit their own pockets, or after using the fisheries as a bargaining chip with the EU renegade on the deal and potentially cause World War III. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/01/treasury-adviser-farming-and-fisheries-are-not-important?CMP=twt_a-environment_b-gdneco&fbclid=IwAR0e4fkYjnqaHsOGEPvJxpP9cBEC8W8uXBPMDyni_OwOHVwnbR-9bHJGZR0

Wasn’t fishing one of the big Leave reasons?! 

Matt Hancock’s department wanted to retain membership of the Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) as part of the EU-UK future relationship deal, but No 10 said “no”, The Daily Telegraph has learnt.

Senior health advisers warned that exiting the EWRS, which has helped coordinate the response to the virus and played a vital role during the bird flu outbreak, would put public health at risk.

However the British negotiating team, which reports to Boris Johnson, did not want to blur the UK's request for a basic, Canda-style trade deal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/01/downing-street-department-health-locked-row-access-eu-pandemic/

On 04/03/2017 at 15:53, Guest rusty747 said:

Palfy, old chap. Steady on or you will surely give yourself an ulcer.

First, you were wrong in a previous post to state that I could not vote. The government has recognised the unfairness of the present system so I will have exactly the same voting rights as you, come the next election. You will just have to get used to it I am afraid.

I make Nat Ins Contributions for several reasons - only one of which is to protect state pension. Why wouldn't I? Are you telling me you would ignore the professional financial advice if you were in my situation?

I dont think I am selfish, and I dont place any value on what you think either, but it would be stupid and neglecting my responsibilities to my family not to maximise benefits wouldn't it? I do think about others and only on this board in a prior post espoused sympathy for someone on the other side of the brexit argument to me.

I will in all likelihood be retiring to Malaysia, where we have a nice 5 bedroom penthouse with separate maids rooms, full sea view, huge balconies, fully paid off using the profit from playing the property market while we lived in Singapore. None of that has anything to do with politics or brexit, it was just good business sense. And, therein, I think we have found the source of your ignorant vitriol Palfy. You are jealous! You are the sort of person who would rather expend energy trying to drag other people down to your standard rather than aspiring to raise yourself to theirs. Very sad, but its your life.

Short memory RPG there’s plenty more to prove that you lie, for those who may not know Rusty747 is old version of RPG the person who doesn’t like to be flashy in his own words. 

On 04/03/2017 at 17:38, Palfy said:

listen I'm far from jealous of what you have or may not have, I don't boast about my wealth, but I would be fairly confident in saying that I pay more in taxes a year than you currently earn.

But I pay my taxes here and support this country with my money not just my mouth, that's why you didn't get a vote so start excepting that fact that what you think is of no relevance.

Enjoy your retirement in Malaysia with your maids running around at your beck and call, should suit you down to the ground it's evident that from the way you talk that you have very little respect for people you might consider below you.

My response 

On 04/03/2017 at 17:58, Guest rusty747 said:

Palfy, do you not keep up with current affairs?

Take a minute out to click on the link.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/expats-given-vote-for-life-uk-elections-government-says

So, I will have the same voting rights as you by the next election. You are therefore wrong Palfy but dont seem to have the cojones to admit what the rest of us can see so very easily.

I don't consider our maids to be below me. I consider them to be an important part in the happy and successful running of our household. If I did otherwise, they wouldn't stay. Our last maid was with us for 9 years and the current ones are both over 4 years. They are well treated, well paid and very happy. The same goes for our gardener (admittedly only part time) and our driver. But, lets not have the facts get in the way of your views on how life is, or should be, shall we.

Thanks for wishing me well in retirement. We could do it right now but we are happy in Dubai for the time being so we will probably move just before our little girl starts primary school - private, of course. The school offers both UK and IB syllabi and we are unsure at this stage which route would be best for her, but no rush on that score. As you seem so interested in our retirement I have attached a pic of the view from our lounge balcony. Not a bad spot to start the day from with freshly brewed coffee, toast and fresh orange juice. And a great place for a sundowner or three with friends in the evening. Enjoy.

post-7751-0-52905700-1488650391_thumb.jpg

2 hours ago, RPG said:

And your point is?

If you are referring to maids, I think you are confusing Malaysia with Dubai. But we now manage without in Dubai (having moved from a villa that was far bigger than we needed to a condo) and will probably have just the one maid when we live permanently in Malaysia. Our condo in Malaysia is used purely as a holiday home and always has been. We are never there for more than one month a year and won't be in full time residence until retirement. But then you knew that didn't you. It just didn't fit with the false message you want to put across.

So, once again, are you just hard of thinking or is there a point to your last post?

Now we live in a condo in Dubai the gardening is common area and looked after by the JMC. We still retain the driver though.

I do remain flattered by the amount of energy you are expending on your obsession. Please do carry on. It's most entertaining.😂

You are clutching at straws Palfy and it ain't working mate!

Cheers!

And my point is you lie you lie that much you catch yourself out, go back to your post of yesterday in the General election, where you didn’t want to have to tell anyone how well you were doing because you didn’t want to appear to be flash and showing off,  and low and behold I’ve proven you lied about that, because you were clearly trying to rub my nose in it 18 months bragging acting flashy telling me how wealthy you were because of Singapore properties, your maids, private schooling you could even afford to retire now, when I never asked you and no one else asked you to volunteer that information, you tried to use it as a big stick to beat me with, because you look down on people you think you’re a cut above the rest of us, well you’re not your a little liar, yes I swear but I can deal with people who swear at me, but I have no time for liars. 

1 minute ago, RPG said:

No Palfy, I responded to you telling everyone how you earn loads of money and have been incredibly successful and have paid more tax in a year than I earn gross. That, and other similar braggart comments made by you is what I responded to.

And it says a lot about you. You obviously like to be the Alpha male but can't walk the talk when challenged and, like most bullies, cant really cope when someone stands up to you, looks you in the eye and says, ok pal, give it your best shot.

Give it your best shot Pal.

I really do pity you. Have you been at the Rijoca again. I suspect not as you have managed to refrain from your usual foul language. Lets give it time shall we.

Keep trying.

Your lying again you just can’t help it can you, I did say that after the post you were bragging about how rich you was, in the hope I would bow down to you.

Would you like me to repost again to prove your lies, or you could just go to page’s 32-33 in this forum and see for yourself, as I hope everyone does, just to see you in your true colours.