IGNORED

Jose Fonte

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I would take him, for no more than £5m mind, this is another option at the back we could do with for the next 6 months minimum. Its all well and good saying "give the kids a chance" which I do agree with but we do need a level headed experienced player too. He is better than Jags imo. Again no more than £5m and I wouldn't be too fussed.

Holgate is a big talent.

Get him in the team and not buy a 33 year old

Holgate isn't physically mature enough to play centre half in the prem yet that's why he's being used as a full back.

I'm 100% for him being in the squad but he is nowherenear ready to play centre half week in werk out.

Don't need a CB older than Williams coming in, we have three senior international CB's on the books as is.

This story is interesting because of how Fonte has fallen out at Saints - is it because his CB partners keep moving on for pastures new and fatter wallets? or were certain promises made that haven't been followed up.

Holgate isn't physically mature enough to play centre half in the prem yet that's why he's being used as a full back.

I'm 100% for him being in the squad but he is nowherenear ready to play centre half week in werk out.

Completely agree. Give him a couple of years and then maybe he will be fine but he isn't a weekly starter yet.

Fonte would most likely replace Jags. Apparently both Sunderland and West Ham are interested in Jags and according to the Daily Mail, they are in talks with him already. Dont know if im comfortable with this. Is Fonte better than Jags?

I think they're equal if anything. I would not be happy with a "swap" though. It doesn't make sense to me given Fonte's age coupled with the fact that Jags knows Everton inside and out.

I think they're equal if anything. I would not be happy with a "swap" though. It doesn't make sense to me given Fonte's age coupled with the fact that Jags knows Everton inside and out.

Jags knows Everton inside out but Fonte knows Koeman's game inside out it could be argued.

Jags knows Everton inside out but Fonte knows Koeman's game inside out it could be argued.

That's a good point. I guess my main concern is his age. How much longer will he be able to play top-flight. Having someone who can offer a good 4-5 years or more would be nice. I'd be surprised if Fonte even had two left in him.

That's a good point. I guess my main concern is his age. How much longer will he be able to play top-flight. Having someone who can offer a good 4-5 years or more would be nice. I'd be surprised if Fonte even had two left in him.

Yeah we want to be signing players who can offer years of quality football, not 6-12 months worth. Short term till the end of the season I wouldn't mind but the money involved wouldn't make it worth while.

Go all out for Van Dijk before Fonte goes. No chance they will let both go.

Keep Jags here, won't get enough money to make it worth selling him. Will be settled enough and professional enough to be on the bench most weeks without being a problem, and will keep pushing his team mates.

Agreed. I want to bring in another centerback but keep Jags here another 6-18 months. Jags is our captain and is very well respected within the dressing room. Not the worst guy to have around or on the bench. Not a weekly starter, but one of the few stalwarts of this club. Also, there is plenty of other deadwood that needs moving on (Gibson, Oviedo, Kone, possibly Besic).

Guardian are saying that Fonte is about to leave Soton. It doesn't say where too, but I'm guessing we are the favorites, though Man Utd were linked too before even we were.

He's a good player and obviously knows Koeman's game, but I'd also like to keep jags and see Holgate get games too. One of those would have to go though, and out of the two, I'd rather see Jags, though with a heavy heart. He can still play a role for us...

Guardian are saying that Fonte is about to leave Soton. It doesn't say where too, but I'm guessing we are the favorites, though Man Utd were linked too before even we were.

He's a good player and obviously knows Koeman's game, but I'd also like to keep jags and see Holgate get games too. One of those would have to go though, and out of the two, I'd rather see Jags, though with a heavy heart. He can still play a role for us...

Sky are saying West Ham are in advanced talks for him. I hope he goes there.

2-3 years ago but not now at 33 there's know long or mid term gain.

If we were looking like relegation prospects or pushing for a top 4 spot then fair enough get him in for the short term benefit he may offer, but it looks like we're finish mid table and he wouldn't improve on that if he came in.

We do need another experienced CB but someone around 28-29 to take over the mantle from Williams and Jags when they are finished in the next year or two.