IGNORED

Jose Fonte

While Martinez was here I think he lowered the average age of the team, Koeman seems determined to up it again. We already have jags and Baines in their 30s and he wants to bring in another two in their 30s with Williams and Fonte. God help us.

While Martinez was here I think he lowered the average age of the team, Koeman seems determined to up it again. We already have jags and Baines in their 30s and he wants to bring in another two in their 30s with Williams and Fonte. God help us.

Didn't really work out for Roberto though, did it? I'd be surprised if we signed Williams and Fonte, don't have a problem with bringing in some experience.

No, he needs one of them as we've lost 4 senior players this summer in Howard, Osman, Hibbert and Pienaar.

We lack leadership and organisation with such a young core - this needs addressing.

None of those are/were a centre half.

That's not the point. We're a shambles at the back and need someone in the Williams/Fonte mold to organise things. If there's a young Adams or Terry out there get them in but there's no one who springs to mind. As mentioned there's a few ??? over the fitness of Jags so need someone there to organise Mori and be vocal. Mori could be great alongside someone who can command and instruct beside him.

We also need a vocal keeper - sort the keeper and CB organisation out and that's a few places up the league before we've even started on other areas that need addressing. Gueye's energy in centre midfield will be important too.

You talk as if you are the players agents, your making them sound like world beaters when all they are, are reasonaly decent aging footballers.

Not the sort of signings that will excite me.

By no means world beaters (although Fonte has just won the Euros) but will hugely improve us defensively. We need improvement now, we need to hit the ground running - either one will slot straight in. Age is no issue in this case as they won't break the bank so resale won't matter plus as they potentially decline in say 2 seasons time I'd hope Galloway and or Holgate are ready to step up.

Which realistic centre back targets excite you Bill?

Which realistic centre back targets excite you Bill?

I'm not a scout and im not clued up on foreign footy but there must be thousands of better Centre halfs out there.

Just wandering about how these signings would have been greeted by you fans if it was Martinez signing them.

Seems to be scraping the barrel here.

I'm not a scout and im not clued up on foreign footy but there must be thousands of better Centre halfs out there.

Just wandering about how these signings would have been greeted by you fans if it was Martinez signing them.

Seems to be scraping the barrel here.

Not scraping the barrel at all - Williams and Fonte have been two of the most consistent CB performers over the past 2/3 years. Bringing in say Martins Indi to play alongside Mori (with Stones outgoing and Jags struggling for fitness) is a much bigger risk that one of these. If Martinez had brought Williams in (who we've been linked to in the past) then maybe he would have had a bit more success as defensive organisation was a clear flaw in Roberto's era.

• 5 months later...