IGNORED

Who should be appointed Captain for the upcoming season?

New Everton Captain  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be appointed captain for the upcoming season?

• Phil Jagielka
    • Leighton Baines
    • Séamus Coleman
    • Ross Barkley
    • Gareth Barry
    • James McCarthy
    • Romelu Lukaku
    • Tom Cleverley
    • Other
    • Ashley Willams

Jags might find it tough to get a place in the starting XI during the upcoming season even when fully fit, and ideally you want a club captain who is starting week in, week out. Crystal Palace have removed Jedinak, and appointed Scott Dann in a similar circumstance.

Is it time for Koeman to appoint a new captain? If not, then who is our next captain when Jags steps down?

I honestly don't think Jags has been the best captain, form or not. I just never thought it was his strong suit. He seems like a great person, but perhaps not the type of leader the team needs. That's why I'd factor in energy and attitude in appointing the next captain. In my opinion you could go for a steady head like Barry or someone with more passion and drive like Besic/Coleman. Besic is still green in a lot of ways (and generally undeserving so soon), so I'd go with Seamus because he's critical and vocal. A move like that might even give his game more energy again. I think he's pretty inspiring and I've seen him critique the play of others on more than one occasion. He seems like he's always attempting to be constructive.

The captain needs to be one of the first picked in a starting XI every week. If we bring in another central midfielder (or maybe even just with Gueye coming in), Barry will be in the side just as much as Jags is, if not less - he's hardly an upgrade.

IMO, these are the boxes that a captain must tick:

1. loves the club - Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Barkley, Barry, McCarthy, Lukaku, Cleverley, Stones, Besic

2. will be at the club beyond this season - Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Barkley, Barry, McCarthy, Cleverley, Besic

3. will always be in the starting XI - Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Barkley, McCarthy?, Cleverley, Besic

4. have the appropriate experience and leadership qualities - Baines, Coleman, Barkley, McCarthy

I don't think Barry is any improvement over Jags as captain. Baines and Coleman are more suitable long-term options.

The captain needs to be one of the first picked in a starting XI every week. If we bring in another central midfielder (or maybe even just with Gueye coming in), Barry will be in the side just as much as Jags is, if not less - he's hardly an upgrade.

IMO, these are the boxes that a captain must tick:

1. loves the club - Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Barkley, Barry, McCarthy, Lukaku, Cleverley, Stones, Besic

2. will be at the club beyond this season - Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Barkley, Barry, McCarthy, Cleverley, Besic

3. will always be in the starting XI - Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Barkley, McCarthy?, Cleverley, Besic

4. have the appropriate experience and leadership qualities - Baines, Coleman, Barkley, McCarthy

I don't think Barry is any improvement over Jags as captain. Baines and Coleman are more suitable long-term options.

I don't think Baines is a natural leader, so that rules him out. Coleman has come on from the timid lad he once was to be a vocal dominance in the field and it will spring him into form if he's appointed captain.

I'm all for Seamus.

Not Jagielka. Preferably someone who can actually organise a team and encourage. Something that man hasn't EVER been able to do. Baines is too quiet. Coleman doesn't command enough respect in the group atm. The truth of the matter is....Barry's the main candidate but I don't want him anywhere near the first 11.

Edited by MC11

Not Jagielka. Preferably someone who can actually organise a team and encourage. Something that man hasn't EVER been able to do. Baines is too quiet. Coleman doesn't command enough respect in the group atm. The truth of the matter is....Barry's the main candidate but I don't want him anywhere near the first 11.

You don't want arguably our best player last season to be anywhere near the first 11?

I also see that he's 35 and even less mobile than he ever wasn't.

Age is a number, if he was played beside someone who did all the ground word for him then he would still flourish. Some of the best defensive stats in the league last season, I think if I remember correctly he blocked the most shots too.

He's a key player, even at 35.

Has he lost anymore ability this season compared to last season? No in my opinion. Drop him when he shows those signs.