IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Home) Friday September 30th

markjazzbassist

I'm annoyed by how bad we were in the final third. Our creativity is a concern for me - a few times we looked good in the final third but those times were few and far in between. For fucks sake we had Lukaku having to be more of a creator than a scorer. Why was that? Well, Cleverley loves slowing everything down and creates nothing. Coleman's final ball is woeful. Bolasie is Bolasie. Barkley is like a frightened rabbit.

I don't know how much longer we're going to need to sign a proper creative player before we actually fucking do it.

I still think Koeman has brought this on himself by arsing around in the EFL

As soon as Palace scored you could see the confidence drain straight out of the players and the crowd instantly became edgy. If we had continued our good start to the season I dont think that would have happened

EFL?

Just seen the goals again on the telly and I really cant understand how anybody thinks the free kick was a debateable decision, Delaney has his boot in Jagielkas face, what Jags does or doesnt do after that is completely irrelevant

The American broadcast was saying it should have been an indirect free kick per the rule book rather than the direct kick given. But it was definitely a foul.

Very surprised to see TC getting stick, but then again, not at all surprised.

Read Romey's post above. He offers literally nothing going forward. All of his passes are sideways or far too slow/careful to create any chances. He doesn't give away many balls, sure, though he did have a few stinkers today. It's just that he plays at such a replacement player level that he doesn't deserve to ever get a chance in the first team. I'd rather see Mirallas attacking and losing the ball every single move than see Cleverley slowly pass sideways so defenders have ample time to close down, ad infinitum.

The American broadcast was saying it should have been an indirect free kick per the rule book rather than the direct kick given. But it was definitely a foul.

The ref may have thought there was contact, if there was it would have been a direct freekick. If no contact it should have been an indirect freekick.

Still pissed off here. Why haven't we learnt our lessons from last year.

Get the ball in the box and of you have a chance to shoot

Then shoot!

Still too much playing around the box for me.

Why post this then.

Exactly. Also, there was nothing to be cool about in that match save for ten minutes of the first half. We did look as lost in attack as during the Martinez era. Only Eric is saying that it means all hope is lost, but it is extremely concerning how pedestrian we've looked in three consecutive matches.

The ref may have thought there was contact, if there was it would have been a direct freekick. If no contact it should have been an indirect freekick.

Still pissed off here. Why haven't we learnt our lessons from last year.

Get the ball in the box and of you have a chance to shoot

Then shoot!

Still too much playing around the box for me.

There was clearly no contact judging by the replay, so the ref got it wrong. Regardless, tough call to make and still a foul on the edge of the box.

I don't what to think at this point. I really thought we had turned the page from last season and entered into a new chapter and era, but I am seeing glimpses of last season Martinez-shite football. And now here come the hard teams - if we lose consistently with these next clump of teams, we could find ourselves into a place on the table that is once again both uncomfortable yet familiar.

The unbelievable excitement I had in the beginning of the season has quickly turned into anxiety and, frankly, sadness. Am I overreacting? Maybe, but prove me otherwise EFC. I also don't like comments that we were "outstanding"....too Martinez-like hyperbole for my taste. No thanks Mr Koeman.

If we were supposed to be playing a pressing game there was no sign of it against Palace. From what I saw, it was the Martinez tactic of just dropping back when Palace had possession. In the first half, Palace always had a spare man (or two) to pass to, there was no one pressing. Watched a bit of the Liverpool v Swansea game. If the Everton players want to see 'pressing' then watch Liverpool. Whenever a Swansea player got the ball, no matter where he was on the pitch, he had a Liverpool player in his face. We don't work hard enough, or aren't fit enough, to play a pressing game.

Not been home long, would have taken a point before the game but feel we should have had all 3! Moss really is a shit ref, thought you controlled most of the 1st half apart from a 10-15 spell we worked a bit harder, 2nd half I think we pretty much bossed apart from the last 10 mins where we seemed to sit back and let you have the ball, pretty nervy at the end, not a bad turnout from us for a Friday night (which has to be the suckiest time & day to play) but pleased with out position at this point, did Bolasie try to hard or did we get to him I wonder.

anyway lets see what happens at our place later in the season.

Good luck for the rest of the season (except against us of course)

Just seen the goals again on the telly and I really cant understand how anybody thinks the free kick was a debateable decision, Delaney has his boot in Jagielkas face, what Jags does or doesnt do after that is completely irrelevant

The issue is not the free kick. The issue is that it should have been indirect, not direct.

I don't what to think at this point. I really thought we had turned the page from last season and entered into a new chapter and era, but I am seeing glimpses of last season Martinez-shite football. And now here come the hard teams - if we lose consistently with these next clump of teams, we could find ourselves into a place on the table that is once again both uncomfortable yet familiar.

The unbelievable excitement I had in the beginning of the season has quickly turned into anxiety and, frankly, sadness. Am I overreacting? Maybe, but prove me otherwise EFC. I also don't like comments that we were "outstanding"....too Martinez-like hyperbole for my taste. No thanks Mr Koeman.

As some of is pointed out, we had a gentle introduction to the season. Don't be deceived: 10 points out of 12 is not so difficult against bottom half teams. It takes time for a new manager to really make a difference. The second half of the season should be better than the first half.

A bit surprised at what i've read over the last couple of pages as I feel I've been watching a different game to everyone else.

I'd agree on some points but totally disagree on others.

This was the first full match I'd seen this season, though I'd seen quite a bit of others it was the first time I'd been able to sit down and watch a match fully.

From early on it was clear that Koeman had given them a kick up the arse with regard to starting better. They came out quickly, pressing, moving the ball forward quickly with Barkley (all be it making errors), Bolassi and Lukaku looking to move forward quickly and trying to make things happen. Palace for the most part defended pretty solidly and thwarted any efforts. Palace slowly got themselves into the game and started to look better as the half went on.

The second half they came out much better and got more control, their crosses were a constant threat and they defended our attacks very well.

Overall the difference from Martinez time were very clear to see. We attacked fast with players looking to quickly move things forward, the fact that we ended up not creating a shot was more down to good defending than players arsing about ala martinez time. Yes you can say they need to be more creative but I felt the efforts were ok if a little disappointing that they didn't produce enough chances.

I found the game so much more entertaining to watch than anything over the last season from Martinez, they pushed forward fast with some crisp moves that weren't quite coming off, Bolassi was a highlight for me, skillful and quick but also strong and works very hard too, the only thing he seems to lack really is an eye for goal. A couple of times he got in positions where others might choose to shoot but would look to get it across to Lukaku. Defensively we coped pretty well with them most of the time, obviously Benteke wasn't covered by the centre backs for the goal but for the most part they had him covered well and though crosses came in and were dangerous they got dealt with.

I don't think you could say we didn't press them or that we didn't look to attack them at pace. We didn't plod around with lots of side to side passes.

It's a disappointing result, especially after the last 2 games but I felt Palace posed a tough challenge and would have given most sides a very hard game with the way they played. We do need to work harder and getting chances and as someone said a few more shots from outside the box (something better than Barkley's awful 35 yard conversion!) wouldn't go a miss.

--

On the note of "based on that City will smash us" attitude.

Last time I watched City they weren't spending most of their time to hoof the ball into a big centre forward. In fact Crystal Palace have had more crosses than any other team in the league (7.9pg) while Man City are 15th with just 3.9pg.

With that in mind I take little relevance to the defensive troubles we had against Palace, our defensive were generally solid against them on the ground. Palace had 10 shots but we blocked 6 of them. They actually only got 1 non headed shot past our defensive, which was wide by a mile.

Attack wise I think we are well capable of posing a threat to City, I think they will probably score against us but certainly think we can cope with their attack in the most part.

Enough of the doom and gloom.