• Ashley Williams
    • Bryan Oviedo
    • Gareth Barry
    • Idrissa Gana Gueye
    • Ross Barkley
    • Tom Cleverley
    • Yannick Bolasie
    • Romelu Lukaku

Why would you want to put both men to mark Benteke and leave a huge gap in the middle for somebody to run into. Williamss and Jags are in the centre where they should be, that's why they are called Centre backs, Coleman was aware of him being there but Benteke got the jump on him.

Nobodys fault in my mind just a good header.

If you need to blame some one can you blame the goalie ? That header travelled a long way and he had a clear view of it, made no attempt to go for it.

I saw no blame on any one.

Edited by Bill

I agree with Bill, I think the goalie could have reacted better. He seemed to start going for it and then decided he couldn't get there so stopped (good header though). I don't agree with zonal marking. It allows attackers space to run at the ball when defenders are usually jumping from a static position. Man for man marking allows defenders to block a run by a forward.

Have already said, if jags left a big space in the middle and some one nipped in and scored, he'd have been hung drawn and quartered.

Some people are searching for someone to blame for every single thing that happens on the pitch. I shake my head in disbelief.

I agree.

I just think it was a good goal, with hindsight every goal could be stopped if someone did something different, and that would make the game very boring.

Twenty teams tied for the title on 38 points each, all with zero scored and zero conceded.....actually we might make Europe on alphabetical order at times!

Benteke is near the pen spot so even if it was zonal he's Jagielka's man. They should have doubled up on him, or Jags come across and Coleman push forward to close the gap. This is basic stuff, you'd expect to see at any level. If it happens again I'd start looking for a new manager.

Benteke is near the pen spot so even if it was zonal he's Jagielka's man. They should have doubled up on him, or Jags come across and Coleman push forward to close the gap. This is basic stuff, you'd expect to see at any level. If it happens again I'd start looking for a new manager.

jags is on the pen spot, at least closer to it than Benteke huh: Edited by Matt

I thought Jags was in the correct position. Benteke peeled off and went against a guy who is poor in the air. It was a very good goal IMO. The fault for me lies with the players who allowed the cross to come in. It should have been closed down.

Jesus, it was only a comment on why I didn't think Jags was motm. Didn't expect all this haha.

I just prefer man marking, if your man goes you follow him. Then if someone else runs into the space his marker should be with him.

It's all opinions and preferences at the end of the day.

Benteke did great, it was a very good goal. He was alert enough to make that move to the full back, it's a great move. The centre half sees he's covered and lets him go, before anyone realises it's a miss match the ball is in the back of the net.

I'm not looking for someone to blame, it was just my view on why I don't think it was a motm performance because Jags could have stopped what was a very decisive goal. He still played well most of the game, Benteke just played better.

Agree with MC too. Stek is way to slow to react, and the cross could have been closed down by the full back or the midfield/winger.

I like that we are all talking tactics in such detail though. Very interesting for me.

Edited by StevO