Norwich (H)...Idrissa Gana Gueye

Middlesbrough...(H)...Idrissa Gana Gueye

Sunderland (A)...Romelu Lukaku

Stoke City (H)...Idrissa Gana Gueye

Yeovil (H)...Ross Barkley

West Bromwich Albion (A)...Mason Holgate

Tottenham Hotspur (H)...Idrissa Gana Gueye

Pressure is now on for Koeman.

What he played today was not direct football it was hoof ball. That for me is not an acceptable way to play with the players he has at his disposal, especially at home.

Today has to be a win if we want to take this season seriously, as was the bournmouth game.

Nothing to do with the players tonight, everything to do with the manager and he needs to take full responsibility.

If the goal is scored at the right hand post, and you're playing that side, and you aren't picking anyone up, and their striker is left against Coleman, it may not be directly your fault but you've not influenced that situation in your area of the pitch.

Jags should have been picking him up, not leaving him to Coleman who has no chance against him in the air.

I agree with StevO.

I'd put the blame on the manager though for not playing Mori from the off considering all they do is lob the ball into the box.

I do see your point about Mori but where would you have played him? He had a shocker against Norwich at LB and there is no way he would get in ahead of either Jags or Williams at CB

When I saw him getting ready to come on I assumed , wrongly , that he was going to take Cleverley off and go three at the back with 2 wing backs.

I do see your point about Mori but where would you have played him? He had a shocker against Norwich at LB and there is no way he would get in ahead of either Jags or Williams at CB

When I saw him getting ready to come on I assumed , wrongly , that he was going to take Cleverley off and go three at the back with 2 wing backs.

Either 3 at the back or in place of Jags. Mori is better in the air so would have been a better option considering their tactics.

Bolasi for me, really impressed with his hard work and graft as well as great strength and ability on the ball. Seemed to work well playing closer to Lukaku.

My only thing against him is he lacks the finish or certainly a strikers instinct to take a shot on. A few times he could have had a chance but would hold it up to try to get someone else in, I wouldn't say he's that confident a finisher as his stats would suggest. Would be nice if was more confident to have a crack sometimes.

Jesus that is really clutching at straws

I'm not clutching at Straws Dunc. I expect a centre half to square upto the forward in the air, not leave him with a right back. I'm not looking for a stick to beat Jags with, I'm a big fan of his and always have been, but follow the man when hes on your side. Benteke pulls away from centre halfs so he can exploit the full back at the back post, Sky even showed it before the game, stop him doing that and you stop him from scoring. Jags never, he let him go to Coleman while he was free and we were punished. Jags mostly had a good game, but he came up short on a couple of occasions where this happened.

I also don't see how a centre half can be man of the match when his team have conceded. Maybe we just see defending differently.

Edited by StevO

That theory doesn't stand up Steve.

A team get battered for 90 minutes, the goalie saves everything that comes his way but is beaten in extra time, he gets awarded MOTM even tho they lost 0-1. Thats very conceivable isn't it. ??

It is conceivable. But he would still be accountable for conceding the goal if he was standing outside the box when the goal was scored, i.e. out of position. That's the point Steve is making, I believe

Not sure why jags is responsible for colemans shit defending. Yet more papering over the cracks of Coleman the forum wonder boy.

Coleman was Marking benteke because he had drifted wide, it was colemans to defend and he didn't surprise surprise. There was another man dead centre of the box who jags was marking and another left centre who Williams was marking.

That was my point Matt, yes.

The other point, Mark, wasn't that it was Colemans shit defending. The centre forward should be picked up by the centre halfs, not the full back.

If there was three men in our box then that's the forward, the opposite winger and number ten. Coleman should then be on the opposite winger, a midfielder should drop in to cover the number ten and either of the two centre halfs pick up the forward. Defending isn't complicated, but neither is it easy to do. If everyone always squares up to their own man you have a much better chance of a clean sheet.

Edited by StevO

It is conceivable. But he would still be accountable for conceding the goal if he was standing outside the box when the goal was scored, i.e. out of position. That's the point Steve is making, I believe

Ha ha what is this, clues out of a "dusty bin" episode.

That's even sillier than the first theory.

Jags wasn't out of position, he was in the centre of the goal, benteke came from the wing position behind coleman at the back post and got the jump on him, good goal with no blame.

Whatever fairy story you come up with won't change the fact that a defender can be the best player on the field even if they lose the game.

Edited by Bill

Ha ha what is this, clues out of a "dusty bin" episode.

That's even sillier than the first theory.

Jags wasn't out of position, he was in the centre of the goal, benteke came from the wing position behind coleman at the back post and got the jump on him, good goal with no blame.

Whatever fairy story you come up with won't change the fact that a defender can be the best player on the field even if they lose the game.

yep that's how i saw it too. jags wasn't man marking benteke, it was zonal marking in the box. he had the centre and was on a man, same with williams, just so happens that benteke went out wide to the edge of the box where coleman defends and beat him.

That was my point Matt, yes.

The other point, Mark, wasn't that it was Colemans shit defending. The centre forward should be picked up by the centre halfs, not the full back.

If there was three men in our box then that's the forward, the opposite winger and number ten. Coleman should then be on the opposite winger, a midfielder should drop in to cover the number ten and either of the two centre halfs pick up the forward. Defending isn't complicated, but neither is it easy to do. If everyone always squares up to their own man you have a much better chance of a clean sheet.

I agree with Bill and Mark here - if Bentekes starting position was out of the central area, it's the RBs responsibility to pick him up and follow (I've not watched it back). Depends on whether it was man-marking or zonal that was supposed to be executed I guess

edit: just watched it and Jags steps up to mark their number 18, who moves off. Once he had seen that, he stays on the spot instead of assiting the immediate threat. Jags actually points to Benteke which shows he recognized the threat but either was instructed to stay in his position or couldn't get there. Don't think there's one soul culprit here.

Edited by Matt