IGNORED

Beni Baningime

20 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

All good points and makes sense for a branthwaite type who’s played premier league and lower league and shown something.  But Beni in particular I would have thought league one or 2 should have been the aim.  Championship was always gonna be above his level, so why send him there?  Surely it’s better for him to get playing time, and better for us to sell to a league one or championship side if he doesn’t well there.  Instead he will be released for nothing.  100k is better than 0k.  

I get the point, but getting money for these lads isn’t really important. surely the morally right thing to do is whatever is best for these young lads? If they aren’t going to make it to our first team and haven’t already had decent sized (expensive) contracts we should be helping them get the best deal they can from their new club? That £100k transfer fee could be the difference between a player getting a three year contract or a two year contract. If we bring in £100k it covers less than one weeks wages for a first team player. Most of the time we let these players go on a free with a sell on clause, that way it suits everyone. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I get the point, but getting money for these lads isn’t really important. surely the morally right thing to do is whatever is best for these young lads? If they aren’t going to make it to our first team and haven’t already had decent sized (expensive) contracts we should be helping them get the best deal they can from their new club? That £100k transfer fee could be the difference between a player getting a three year contract or a two year contract. If we bring in £100k it covers less than one weeks wages for a first team player. Most of the time we let these players go on a free with a sell on clause, that way it suits everyone. 

Thanks ste there it is.  I didn’t realize that the club was trying to do them a favor, I get it.  And for that I agree we should do morally right by the player.

where I am confused now is the academy.  Like that stat you’ve said 2% make it, all the teachers, coaches, buildings, and other overhead, the academies of England have to be a massive loss on the clubs balance sheets.  Is it just an act of good will for the community or something?  Seems like a proper waste of money from the business side.  Not being negative there just trying to understand their role.

sorry American concepts and judgement and pre-disposition on culture and way of life here, so I’m trying to understand this because we don’t have academies here.  

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Also structuring our academy to give the players the best opportunity of becoming a professional footballer ( regardless of what division that may be ) should be an attraction in recruiting more young players.

If you don’t make the cut here, we will do everything in our power to ensure you get opportunities elsewhere.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

Thanks ste there it is.  I didn’t realize that the club was trying to do them a favor, I get it.  And for that I agree we should do morally right by the player.

where I am confused now is the academy.  Like that stat you’ve said 2% make it, all the teachers, coaches, buildings, and other overhead, the academies of England have to be a massive loss on the clubs balance sheets.  Is it just an act of good will for the community or something?  Seems like a proper waste of money from the business side.  Not being negative there just trying to understand their role.

sorry American concepts and judgement and pre-disposition on culture and way of life here, so I’m trying to understand this because we don’t have academies here.  

The infrastructure is already there though Mark. Every club has juniors. The coaches are not on mega mega money.

Jack Rodwell and Ross Barkley are good examples of how your academy can bring in good money - we could have sold them for a lot more as well... 

6 hours ago, Btay said:

Jack Rodwell and Ross Barkley are good examples of how your academy can bring in good money - we could have sold them for a lot more as well... 

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The two examples Btay mentioned, Jack Rodwell and Ross Barkley, they make the first time and you save a load of money on buying a player for those positions. Or they are sold, like these two were, for millions and it covers the costs quite considerably. And as they came through the academy on the books it’s all profit. The examples in the first team now, Davies and DCL (if I remember right DCL was brought in by Unsworth from the academy budget) that’s two players we’ve not had to pay for so have made a saving. If we were to sell either of them now, all profit, and the savings we’ve made not buying a replacement for Lukaku with DCL stepping was a massive saving. 
I hope that makes some sense, I’ve only just woken up. 😴

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, MikeO said:

MOTM in the win over Celtic on the BBC with a rating of 8.39/10, impressive debut.

On the Jambos forums they are creaming their knicks over him saying he is already their best player: fast, powerful, anticipates and doesn’t waste the ball. I know it’s only a friendly but surely he could have had a little bit of a run out at Goodison before we moved him on?

3 minutes ago, badaids said:

On the Jambos forums they are creaming their knicks over him saying he is already their best player: fast, powerful, anticipates and doesn’t waste the ball. I know it’s only a friendly but surely he could have had a little bit of a run out at Goodison before we moved him on?

When successive managers haven’t  picked him, the next incumbent ( Benitez ) probably don’t give them a serious look.  

22 minutes ago, badaids said:

Not a friendly it was the first game of their season.

• 2 months later...