IGNORED

Bastian Schweinsteiger

Guest rusty747

The article says we are interested in a loan deal to the end of the season with United prepared to subsidise part of his wages. On those terms I think it would be a good deal, especially with us losing Gana to the AFCONCould rotate him with Barry to keep them fresh

As a way to try to steady the ship to the end of the season it would maybe be a good move but we need a permanent signing of similar quality but younger at the end of the season.

didnt you have the same concerns about Barry?

Remind me what happened to him yesterday. I've totally forgotten and need a refresher.

I like Schweinsteiger, a lot in fact, but the last thing we need is another player that's slow and on his last legs. We need youthful freshness throughout our side. Barry will carry on for another season at least and that's enough. We're sorted for experience there.

Remind me what happened to him yesterday. I've totally forgotten and need a refresher.

I like Schweinsteiger, a lot in fact, but the last thing we need is another player that's slow and on his last legs. We need youthful freshness throughout our side. Barry will carry on for another season at least and that's enough. We're sorted for experience there.

thats one game mate, most of his time with us he's been good, often great.

I see Schweinsteiger as a temporary solution with massive potential benefit to the squad and club.

thats one game mate, most of his time with us he's been good, often great.

I see Schweinsteiger as a temporary solution with massive potential benefit to the squad and club.

Not arguing that he hasn't been good for us. I'm saying we don't need another one. Barry is enough. The future is where we should be looking with all the deadwood we already have.

Not arguing that he hasn't been good for us. I'm saying we don't need another one. Barry is enough. The future is where we should be looking with all the deadwood we already have.

I would like to think that if we did sign him it would be as cover for Barry or more to rotate with Barry

Doubt we would see both on the pitch at the same time

I would like to think that if we did sign him it would be as cover for Barry or more to rotate with Barry

Doubt we would see both on the pitch at the same time

Why do we have to go like for like? Why can't Barry's replacement be someone more dynamic? Why can't we have an apprentice coming in for Barry? That would be my preferred option; a younger player learning from Barry, who would then replace him properly in a year or two, rather than another player at the end of their career.

Let's not think so short-term. Barry has been integral, is still integral for us, so let's find his replacement long-term.

Why do we have to go like for like? Why can't Barry's replacement be someone more dynamic? Why can't we have an apprentice coming in for Barry? That would be my preferred option; a younger player learning from Barry, who would then replace him properly in a year or two, rather than another player at the end of their career.

Let's not think so short-term. Barry has been integral, is still integral for us, so let's find his replacement long-term.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that , but on a loan as a short term stop gap until the end of the season I just don't think it would be a bad deal ( if united are subsidising his wages )

Could be a smart signing to add some quality and depth to the squad if we are really looking at that 5th/6th spot in January. With Gana off to ACON as previously stated, could be a handy replacement/depth player once he returns.

No one should be under the illusion this would be a permanent move, more just a short term one to help us take that first step back into Europa before pressing on with the signings next summer.

But as with all Eveton rumors, no point really talking about it till something actually happens....

Edited by Tristagi

I wouldn't disagree with any of that , but on a loan as a short term stop gap until the end of the season I just don't think it would be a bad deal ( if united are subsidising his wages )

We should be going after their other midfielder who can't get a game - Schneiderlin. That makes far more sense, and he hasn't said he won't play for another club in Europe. Schneiderlin is being linked with Palace today. If they signed him while we sign an old man for 6 months I'll be so angry, and I'll lose a bit of faith in Koeman if I'm honest.

Edited by Romey 1878

We should be going after their other midfielder who can't get a game - Schneiderlin. That makes far more sense, and he hasn't said he won't play for another club in Europe. Schneiderlin is being linked with Palace today. If they signed him while we sign an old man for 6 months I'll be so angry, and I'll lose a bit of faith in Koeman if I'm honest.

Yeah I would definitely prefer to sign Schneiderlin

Dodged a bullet there. I'm really concerned that we are looking at players who are at the end of their careers.

We have brought in Ashley Williams who, as good as he is, is over 30 now. We have a few players approaching 30 and quite a few over 30.

I think once we need a transfer policy from now of only signing players under 27 so at least we will get the best years out of them.

Ashley Williams was and still is exactly the type of player we needed regardless of age

We still need established players who can come straight into the side and make an impact now and they tend to be the more senior players

We can worry about getting the average age down once we have a winning side

Ashley Williams was and still is exactly the type of player we needed regardless of age

We still need established players who can come straight into the side and make an impact now and they tend to be the more senior players

We can worry about getting the average age down once we have a winning side

exactly, as were Barry and Distin

I'm not sure he's been as good as people thought he would be, and he is most definitely over the age of what we need to buy.

I was actually thinking this earlier today. He hasn't been shite by any means but I don't think he's been as solid as solid as I was expecting him to be - there have been quite a few errors.

I went to look at Mikes MOTM totals and I saw that in total votes, he has only got five in ten games, only one more than Kone who has hardly played, and is behind Cleverly.

Even Holgate has a lot more votes and has only played half as many games. Except for Funis Mori he is the lowest defender in the voting. At thirty odd years of age he's not going to get any better.

Williams stepped in to one of the most poorly organised defences I've ever seen, into a club in disarray that needed rebuilding on and off the field. Do people expect him to revolutionize everything in a couple of months? He's had rotating partners, carried Oviedo for at least 2 games and in general I think he's been fantastic bar a couple of daft moments. He could well be as important to us as Distin was - steady the ship, model pro, excellent leader.