IGNORED

Tottenham Hotspur (Away) Sunday March 5th

markjazzbassist

Wasn't the right strategy from the off predicting how Tottenham usually play and how well they can..

We started to slow they nailed us back and we looked lost, subs came a bit to late and we paid the price

I don't get why you would start Barry against such a pressing quick side McCarthy from the off would have given us far more energy and bite... Poor choices from Koeman today imo

Robles should have saved the first goal and had a hand in conceding the second. The back four all had poor games but particularly Williams and Mori. The midfield, apart from Barkley were ordinary. Barry should have gone before half-time and Gueye was a shadow of his former self. Lukaku worked hard but didn't win anything in the air. Just shows how far off the pace we are in relation to the top four.

He set the second up

Let's make no mistake Spurs are a good side. Problem I have though is Koemans persistence to just change formation at the drop of the hat and rotate players. Barry, Sneiderlein and Gana in the same side?? Ridiculous if you ask me.

Let's make no mistake Spurs are a good side. Problem I have though is Koemans persistence to just change formation at the drop of the hat and rotate players. Barry, Sneiderlein and Gana in the same side?? Ridiculous if you ask me.

Some managers do it often and well. Sampaoli with Sevilla rotates constantly and they are doing the best they ever have. If you can get the players to be flexible and work hard it works. Then you're fluid and can do so many formations you can do any tactics you want and no one can stop you. We just need better players to pull it off.

We payed Spurs too much respect, if we had started with McCarthy, Mirallas or Lookman instead of Barry it may of been different. Once Spurs got their tails up it was always going to be hard to get something out of it.

All the defenders made too many individual errors. Koeman will be livid.

On the plus side Lukaku, and Barkley played well, and we never gave up.

Same here Blue.

Some managers do it often and well. Sampaoli with Sevilla rotates constantly and they are doing the best they ever have. If you can get the players to be flexible and work hard it works. Then you're fluid and can do so many formations you can do any tactics you want and no one can stop you. We just need better players to pull it off.

If it works fair enough. But my recollection says its backfired everytime. Today and after the West Ham ham game at home. Could be other games. McCarthy should have played ahead of Barry if he was looking to change it. Gana extremely poor.

If it works fair enough. But my recollection says its backfired everytime. Today and after the West Ham ham game at home. Could be other games. McCarthy should have played ahead of Barry if he was looking to change it. Gana extremely poor.

I agree it's not been greT for us. I think that's down to he doesn't have players to rotate. Barry jags Valencia Lennon etc all need to go. But I think he wants that style of rotation and fluid formations in the future. I could be wrong though.

First game I've been able to watch in a few weeks. Think my thoughts have already been expressed - didn't like the look of the team at all, Gana Schneiderlin and Barry in midfield was far too negative, and I thought Barkley and Davies supporting Lukaku left us too narrow. So it proved.

Koeman has won me over the past three months, you can't argue with results, but I don't get managers whose first thought is trying to negate the opposition rather than making the most of your team's strengths. It sets you up for a fall, and Koeman fell into that trap today. Against what is arguably the best midfield in the league, who play an incredibly high energy pressing game but areall superb on the ball as well, the trio he played in the centre just weren't up it, no where near good enough at looking after the ball. I don't see Barry as a starter anymore, and I was disappointed by Schneiderlin today. We never really looked in it until Lukaku's goal.

In Koeman's defence, I don't think the players covered themselves in glory either. Defending for all three of the Spurs goals was poor, albeit Kane's first strike was class. And I thought our general distribution was awful.

The shining lights were, we played poorly but still hung in there against a class outfit and could have snatched a point in the end. And I thought Barkley was excellent, the only one on the pitch for us who got the ball down and used it well. He is a completely different player to what he was 6 months ago, forget looking for that elusive playmaker in the summer, we've got him. He was as good as anyone in a Spurs shirt today, it's just no one else in blue was up to scratch with him.

In top form today, Spurs exposed several of our less-than-top-quality players.

Sorry to see that Barry hurt us. Fine, often superb, player in his time with us, but he made the worst of his chance to be included as a starter the rest of this season. Only spot minutes from now on, when we need another defender when leading late. If even that.

Robles had a poor match, despite the late save against Kane. It's an open question, for me, whether Stekelenburg deserves the start against W Brom. Surely Koeman will want to buy a real #1 in the summer. I prefer Stekelenburg next week.

I don't see that either Williams or Funes Mori deserves to continue ahead of Jagielka, unkess Jagielka looks past it on the training pitch. Williams was horrendous today, and Funes Mori is a mistske, not to mention a red card, waiting to happen, every match. Perhaps it would smack too much of panic to start Jagielka and Holgate next week, but neither Williams nor Funes Mori "deserve" their place next match.

I think Coleman and Baines are still quality players. Coleman gets forward impressively, and does seem to me to pose a real threat, except for his crosses. Too many missed opportunities there. Far too many.

Although it's commonly observed that "Everton's fullbacks like to get forward," I am increasingly frustrated with Baines, who far, far more often than not passes the ball backward rather than dribbling forward, taking on opponents. He's much, much less likely than Coleman to dribble with speed. A shame, as he's obviously far superior to Coleman as a crosser. Baines just ksn't newrly agressive enough going forward. I guess he's never been a physicsl player, but he strikes me as way too cautious these days.

None of Schneiderlin, Gana, or Davies had a good game today, but they, along with McCarthy will still be a major strength.

I've been a Barkley critic, not of his physicsl talent, but of his football brain. But the many TT-ers who praised Ross are right. Although he still slows our play occasionally while dancing with the ball, now it's only occasional rather than constant. And the physical gifts that others have rightly emphasized are indeed impressive, so he gives us real attacking strength. He doesn't get into the box enough for me. Am I wrong about that?

Arguably, Spurs should have won today 4-1, 5-1. They made us look bad. Spurs and Chelsea appear the class of the league this season. So while we need not panic, I do think Koeman has to worry about today's abysmal play by Robles, Williams, and Funes Mori. I'd prefer some changes back there next week.

Guest rusty747

Next transfer window Koeman needs to make a decision on Holgate, Pennington, Browning, Foulds or recruit 2 top quality centre backs. Some top quality cover for Baines and Coleman would be nice too. Jags will probably go, Mori just isn't up to it and Willams is not turning out to be anything more than steady. His age is also against him.

Joel is steady but not the sort of 'keeper who wins you 10 points a season. We can keep him and continue saying 'oh, he did ok' or we can recruit a top quality 'keeper and start making comments about how he dominates his area, organises his defence and how the hell did he keep that out?'

Up front, Rom needs some quality help too.

Edited by rusty747

Personally think the 3 midfielders were awful today.

Schneiderlein caught out for the second, ball watching for the third. Directly involved in both goals. Barry and Gana possibly at fault for the first. Very poor performance from the midfielders

Guest rusty747

Schneiderlein caught out for the second, ball watching for the third. Directly involved in both goals. Barry and Gana possibly at fault for the first. Very poor performance from the midfielders

Have to agree. The big problem with Gana is if he gets an early booking as he is then walking a tightrope for the rest of the game and he has to reign in his natural game.

The difference between the two teams today was Spurs played one stopper in midfield, we played three. The rest of their midfield are all extremely good on the ball, creative and able to play in tight spaces. They also work like hell and get stuck in. It was a mismatch.

Yeh they were. In my opinion they all seemed a bit confused about who should be doing what. At times Davies or Gana came central and then Schneiderlin would move a little and it was a case of too many cooks.

Blame lies with Koeman for this one. It was a strange formation and he took ages to change it up. Certain players let him down as well.

It's also worth saying that Barca won't go near Koeman with tactics like that.

As in the game of chess, I set myself up for that one.

As for Robles, if you think he was our second best player today I have no time to argue with that dillusion. Absolutely mental.

It's not really dillusional or mental. There isn't a lot of competition. It's a balanced view based solely on today and not blurred by some preset thought. Made some solid saves and was not, in any way at all, individually responsible for the goals we conceded.

Next transfer window Koeman needs to make a decision on Holgate, Pennington, Browning, Foulds or recruit 2 top quality centre backs. Some top quality cover for Baines and Coleman would be nice too. Jags will probably go, Mori just isn't up to it and Willams is not turning out to be anything more than steady. His age is also against him.

Joel is steady but not the sort of 'keeper who wins you 10 points a season. We can keep him and continue saying 'oh, he did ok' or we can recruit a top quality 'keeper and start making comments about how he dominates his area, organises his defence and how the hell did he keep that out?'

Up front, Rom needs some quality help too.

spot on on all accounts.