IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

26 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

What’s so bad about flying the flag?

I’m not bothered either way like. 

On the face of it nothing but the flag has become the badge of nationalism, and the absurd suggestion that flying it will bring people together is right wing nonsense.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/01/24/the-toll-of-empty-nationalism-the-brexit-bell-ends/

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

just wait, your kids will start every day in school with a pledge of allegiance to the flag next.  did that as a kid and they still do it now, nationalism bullshit.  i didn't choose to live here, i was born here, no reason to indoctrinate me as a kid.

The sight of so many flags flying outside of houses over there I find disturbing, gets to the point inevitably where those not flying a flag are looked at with suspicion. In the end you wind up with something like the Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade in Catch-22, where everyone has to swear an elaborate oath of loyalty to get their lunch (or do anything). I realise that's hyperbolic but we'll not be far off if we carry on like some want us to, following America's example as ever.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

The sight of so many flags flying outside of houses over there I find disturbing, gets to the point inevitably where those not flying a flag are looked at with suspicion. In the end you wind up with something like the Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade in Catch-22, where everyone has to swear an elaborate oath of loyalty to get their lunch (or do anything). I realise that's hyperbolic but we'll not be far off if we carry on like some want us to, following America's example as ever.

I agree.  We don’t fly flags and don’t have anything patriotic.  I pay my fucking taxes (unlike 40% of Americans) that’s my civic duty.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

On the face of it nothing but the flag has become the badge of nationalism, and the absurd suggestion that flying it will bring people together is right wing nonsense.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/01/24/the-toll-of-empty-nationalism-the-brexit-bell-ends/

Only if people want to see it that way and let it be claimed in that way.

Personally, it’s not “my” flag so I’m not arsed if it’s flown or not, just thought I’d ask.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

You not scared that a country that's taking away its people's rights is also pushing nationalism? 

Be talk of the British empire soon.

I’m not scared of a flag being flown on government buildings, no. 

5 hours ago, pete0 said:

You can't be a Christian and a Tory. When Jesus fed the 5000 he weren't on about creating a need for food banks.

JR-M, is the best Christian you'll find, Pete. He's such a good Christian that he doesn't believe women that have become pregnant through rape should be allowed an abortion but he's absolutely fine with Boris Johnson's adultery.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, pete0 said:

This is the video referred to.