IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

17 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I'd prefer to do what's right than what's lawful. 

Starmer is meant to be the opposition. He's the one who should have already been all over the lies. 

Well so would I but that's not the world we live in. Laws should be respected, even stupid ones. Otherwise, laws are meaningless and the likes of the Torys get away with murder, even more than they do already.

28 minutes ago, pete0 said:

There was no gun to their head to enforce it. 

If you were in charge would you have made the same decision?

There was no decision to make, as I said; speaker has no juristiction. It's a black/white situation, MPs aren't allowed by law to call other MPs liars in the house (even if they plainly are), had she allowed it she'd have been sacked the next day.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well so would I but that's not the world we live in. Laws should be respected, even stupid ones. Otherwise, laws are meaningless and the likes of the Torys get away with murder, even more than they do already.

That's the thing, it could be.

I don't know who could change things (I'd have liked Corbyn been given a go), but it won't be the likes of Starmer. 

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

There was no decision to make, as I said; speaker has no juristiction. It's a black/white situation, MPs aren't allowed by law to call other MPs liars in the house (even if they plainly are), had she allowed it she'd have been sacked the next day.

That could have been the big moment to get things changed. 

It's absolutely absurd that politicians can't call out the lies. That needs changing. Judith Cummins could have gone down in history but chose to hide behind the rules.

On 23/07/2021 at 17:52, Bailey said:

It looks like she has used the stunt to make it a social media hit. 

What on earth is politics coming to these days. 

Was trying to remember this Douglas Adams quote, came back to me...

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very sad news he was by all accounts a thoroughly nice man who was horrifically murdered whilst working for his constituents, my thoughts go out to his family and friends. 
I must say what a crass piece of journalism from the times, to falsely mention fuel and food at a time like this which has no relevance to the horrific incident which took place I find disappointing and inappropriate. 

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Even the likes of the Fail turning on Boris today, but still they'd win an election tomorrow due to the lack of any credible opposition. Have to say though that I thought Angela Rayner was far more effective at PMQs this week than Starmer has ever been.

That will be because she's actually Labour, unlike Starmer the Conservative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...