IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Away) Saturday Novermber 18th

markjazzbassist

Just now, badaids said:

We were lucky not to lose that.  Murdered by the bottom team in the league.  Lucky pen and a howler from the keeper got us off the hook.  If Palace play like that every game they will stay up.  If we continue to play like that we will likely go down.

They are playing well at home and not winning, that isn't going to keep you up. Last two games we've played badly and got four points, that will. 

Totally outplayed. We have no ball-carrying creative outlets. Sandro had about 8 touches and were all useful, I thought. Not sure what DCL is but he's not a striker. Niasse tried hard, Davies tried hard, but they're not great. Defence creaked all afternoon, but then Palace have better players. 

Totally lucky to take a point.  Wouldn’t have been unfair had it been 4-0 Palace.

I’d prefer to see only 1 of Gana and Schneiderlin even on the bench for next few games.  If 2 DMs, Davies with Besic, or with McCarthy (once a month).  Preferably not 2 DM formation, period.

Players snapping at each other today.

Grateful for the point, which is pathetic and discouraging.

1 minute ago, Formby said:

Totally outplayed. We have no ball-carrying creative outlets. Sandro had about 8 touches and were all useful, I thought. Not sure what DCL is but he's not a striker. Niasse tried hard, Davies tried hard, but they're not great. Defence creaked all afternoon, but then Palace have better players. 

And that's the whole point. The quality in our squad is dreadful. The last 12 to 18 months will go down as one of the worst periods of mismanagement in the club's history for the awful standard of player recruitment. Playing well has gone out of the window. It's about digging in and surviving this season, letting a few of our kids learn some lessons the hard way to hopefully set them up to become top players, and then starting again with another complete overhaul of the senior squad. Starting with most of the players who came in under Koeman leaving. 

6 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Honest question to Bill, Matt and anyone else who thinks relegation is inconceivable.
Given we have just been fortunate to get a point against the side who are bottom of the table, and who before today had only amassed a grand total of 4 points all season. If we are not in danger who is?

Can’t remember anyone saying it’s inconceivable . But I did say I don’t think we will go down. I still don’t, we played badly and picked up a point.

Can’t remember anyone saying it’s inconceivable . But I did say I don’t think we will go down. I still don’t, we played badly and picked up a point.

Can be arsed trying to dig out any direct quotes but pretty sure Bill and Matt have said or at least alluded to that , hence the question being directed at them

15 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Honest question to Bill, Matt and anyone else who thinks relegation is inconceivable.
Given we have just been fortunate to get a point against the side who are bottom of the table, and who before today had only amassed a grand total of 4 points all season. If we are not in danger who is?

Just to throw another stat in.  There is only one team in the league who has a worse goal difference than us and that is the bottom team, who outplayed us today.

My God that was shit. I was lucky enough to not find a stream for about half an hour in the middle of the game but I really didnt enjoy what I could see.

After the last game, I remember Unsworth commenting on the players taking confidence from the result and the 2nd half performance to get them up the pitch but that confidence didnt show at any point of the game. The back 4 are far too deep, the midfield are covering too much ground and poor Oumar is isolated. When you add players like Oumar, Gana and to an extent Lookman, you aren't going to get yourself up the pitch because they dont look after the ball well enough so you are constantly defending wave after wave of attack. If you want to just play back to front, get DCL up there and sacrifice a midfielder.

I think the one shining light today was Kenny. I missed the first goal, which I hear he was partly responsible for, but from what I saw he didnt put a foot wrong and dealt really well with Zaha.

Lennon worked his nuts off, as did Oumar, but there was no quality there. Sandro looked lively when he came on, probably his best cameo in truth so it looks like he has worked hard in the international break.

The rest were varying shades between bang average and piss poor.

We really have to improve and its sad to say that I cant see where it comes from. We are definitely in a relegation scrap and we need a manager who can come in and turn us around because I really do fear for us. I don't see us keeping a clean sheet and nor do I see us scoring many goals off our own good work.

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Your right, somehow he’s pulled four points from the last two games.... and we’re still playing shit.

Yeah, Unsworth’s tactics are the reason the ref gave us a very soft penalty and Speroni had a brain fart. Even against Watford I don’t think it was anything Unsworth did - Niasse was Niasse and then the crowd woke up and the players fed off it. Until then we looked as shite as ever, we started with the wrong players and system. 

Anyway, the point was more tongue in cheek that Koeman had to make consistent changes at half-time and got bollocked for it but Unsworth has to do it game after game and not much is said at all. 

6 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Can be arsed trying to dig out any direct quotes but pretty sure Bill and Matt have said or at least alluded to that , hence the question being directed at them

Sorry mate bought you were directing it generally at those that are confident we won’t.

i would say that picking up points when you are playing this bad is a positive though. Not pulling up trees but a step in the right direction.

25 minutes ago, nogs said:

They are playing well at home and not winning, that isn't going to keep you up. Last two games we've played badly and got four points, that will. 

I wish I shared your optimism.

If they play like that in every game they will start to win.  If we carry on playing like that we will start to lose - we can't ride our luck for the whole season.

Can we all be agreed now that Schneiderlin and Gana should never be seen on the pitch together again, I know I've said it hundreds of times it makes us to defensive to negative, drop them both and start with Davies and Besic in their positions and only have one on the bench, then we can reinstall Vlasic to the bench to use when we need a impact player to change a game 

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Yeah, Unsworth’s tactics are the reason the ref gave us a very soft penalty and Speroni had a brain fart. Even against Watford I don’t think it was anything Unsworth did - Niasse was Niasse and then the crowd woke up and the players fed off it. Until then we looked as shite as ever, we started with the wrong players and system. 

Anyway, the point was more tongue in cheek that Koeman had to make consistent changes at half-time and got bollocked for it but Unsworth has to do it game after game and not much is said at all. 

Ye my answer was tongue in cheek as well mate. But we could have easily fell apart after going behind twice, but managed to scrape a point however lucky it was.