IGNORED

Needs for 2018/19

Hope this thread provides some hope from now until mid-May when the World Cup and summer transfer window kick in. WE HAVE A LOT OF NEEDS.

GK: Pickford, Stek

RB: Coleman, Kenny, Martina, Connolly

CB: Keane, Williams, Jags, Mori, Holgate, Pennington, Browning

LB: Baines, Garbutt, Galloway, Robinson

CM: Schneiderlin, Gueye, McCarthy, Besic, Davies, Baningime, Charsley, J Williams

W: Vlasic, Bolasie, Lookman, Mirallas, Onyekuru 

AM: Sigurdsson, Klaassen, Rooney, Dowell, Tarashaj

ST: Tosun, DCL, Sandro, Niasse 

Robles and Lennon out of contract

ATM only Pickford and Siggy good enough. Coleman and Bolasie coming back to full fitness. I'm a Gana fan but many are not. No clue on Cenk yet. As of today - CB, LB, W, ST are a mess. Yikes.

Who has some solutions? Who should go?  Manager?

A Must

A new manager.

Give Schneiderlin a literal kick up the bum - maybe force him to divorce his new wife or whatever has his head elsewhere

Needs

1. Move on Funes Mori and Williams and bring in a 23-26 year old centerback who is in the prime of his career.

2. A new leftback (Ryan Sessegnon, Kieran Tierney, Luke Shaw if deemed surplus - I'm sure you can find fullbacks good enough in Germany, France, Spain as well)

3. Move on Aaron Lennon if the numbers work - make a decision on whether Vlasic and Lookman are good enough or if they should be loaned out - Interesting to see if Walcott comes in or not.

4. Move on a central player or two: Pick who is excess of Klaassen, Besic, McCarthy

Luxuries

1. Allow Joel to leave if he wants first team football - he should... Sign a veteran keeper on the cheap - ideally one who could help Pickford with the mental aspects of the game

2. Another forward, especially if we move Sandro and/or Niasse on. Make sure he offers something different from the existing lot

3. A big, strong, pacey central mid (Doucoure?)

Hope this thread provides some hope from now until mid-May when the World Cup and summer transfer window kick in. WE HAVE A LOT OF NEEDS.

CM: Schneiderlin, Gueye, McCarthy, Besic, Davies, Baningime, Charsley, J Williams

ATM only Pickford and Siggy good enough. Coleman and Bolasie coming back to full fitness. I'm a Gana fan but many are not. No clue on Cenk yet. As of today - CB, LB, W, ST are a mess. Yikes.

Out of that lot I would be left with

GK: Pickford,

RB: Coleman, Kenny,

CB: Keane, Holgate

LB:

CM: Schneiderlin, Gueye, McCarthy, Davies

W: Vlasic, Bolasie, Lookman,Onyekuru 

AM: Sigurdsson, Rooney, Dowell

ST: Tosun, DCL,

Send Robinson,Benny,Charsley, Joe Williams , Sandro,Klaassen and Tarashaj our on loan

If we could bring in better in CM I would let some of them go as well

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

I think it is probably easier to work out who should stay and go from there!

Pickford is obvious. I would like to keep Joel if we can and get rid of Stek. If Joel goes I think we need a better 2nd choice keeper.

At full back, Coleman, Kenny and Baines that you can say are of first team quality. Coleman and Baines are unlikely to ever be the players they were and will need to be fazed out. Jury is out as to whether Kenny is good enough to be our long term RB but he has earned a go. I think we need a new first team LB to start ahead of Baines.

At centre back, the only 2 that I can say have been good enough to have a future over the next couple of seasons are Williams and Holgate. I just dont trust Jags anymore, Mori is a big question mark still at this level, Browning and Pennington dont look up this level and Keane is too easily exposed to play expansive football. We need at least 1 first choice CB to come in. We have a few youngsters to fill the places of Browning and Pennington so I'm not worried about cover.

Centre mid is difficult and I am going to include both AM & CM options in this. Besic and Tarashaj should definitely go. The two young lads are an unknown at the moment, Beni has done well but he is likely to either go on loan or play a back up role, like Dowell. I find it hard to be confident about who I want to stay. Rooney will obviously be about for the next couple of years but he isnt an answer to any question. McCarthy would be my first choice but its about fitness with him. I would see how fit he stays until the end of the season and go from there. If he is out long term then as much as I want him in the side, we need someone we can rely on. Davies is well and truly on my list of players to keep but I wouldnt lose any sleep if we got rid of Schneiderlin, Gana, Klaasen or Siggy. If you wanted to play a high press, aggressive side you need mobile and intelligent players. Klaasen is mobile and intelligent but doesnt seem to get the physicality of the league whereas the other 3 are either one of the other and not both. Siggy wont go anywhere and he is probably the best suited of the three to play in a high energy structure. On the basis that we would have McCarthy, Davies, Siggy and Rooney, we need to bring in two physical midfielders and phase out the rest.

The wide players are another pain in the arse. I would be inclined to give Lennon another year. We have needed him this season and he has come in and done well. Mirallas will go, Bolasie can follow him out. I guess you could keep Bolasie and let Lennon go but I would rather release the fee/wages of Bolasie. Lookman needs to play football so will need to go on loan as I dont think he is ready. Vlasic is ready and should be starting. Onyekuru is a complete unknown but considering his injury and WP issues, I wouldnt consider him an option at this stage. I would therefore say that Vlasic is the only capable starting wide player we have. We need 2 first team quality signings. Richarlison and Zaha please.

Up front is pretty simple. Sell Niasse and Sandro, keep Tosun and DCL. They are both target man, strong CF types so we need someone with a bit more trickery and pace who can also play wide if needs be.

I am not advocating that this should be a sell everyone and bring in the rest but we do need to start making changes with every window that passes.

On the pitch it's pretty glaring to me where our weaknesses are - the entire spine of the team from front to back, with the exception of GK. Then we need a LB or two as well. 

Off the pitch, I have absolutely no idea. I think this is where the real problems lie. It's starting to feel like the Johnson days again. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see any way things will improve in one summer. 

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Out of that lot I would be left with

GK: Pickford,

RB: Coleman, Kenny,

CB: Keane, Holgate

LB:

CM: Schneiderlin, Gueye, McCarthy, Davies

W: Vlasic, Bolasie, Lookman,Onyekuru 

AM: Sigurdsson, Rooney, Dowell

ST: Tosun, DCL,

Send Robinson,Benny,Charsley, Joe Williams , Sandro,Klaassen and Tarashaj our on loan

If we could bring in better in CM I would let some of them go as well

Almost exactly this although I’d probably keep Baines and Mori as squad options - shows how worryingly bad our squad is! I think it’s important to get Walcott in now and definitely a left back maybe a centre back and centre midfielder too if the right ones are available - get them integrated now and hit the ground running pre-season - with an actual plan!!! Walsh must be the man in charge of who comes in as I see us having a new manager come May.

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think it is probably easier to work out who should stay and go from there!

Pickford is obvious. I would like to keep Joel if we can and get rid of Stek. If Joel goes I think we need a better 2nd choice keeper.

At full back, Coleman, Kenny and Baines that you can say are of first team quality. Coleman and Baines are unlikely to ever be the players they were and will need to be fazed out. Jury is out as to whether Kenny is good enough to be our long term RB but he has earned a go. I think we need a new first team LB to start ahead of Baines.

At centre back, the only 2 that I can say have been good enough to have a future over the next couple of seasons are Williams and Holgate. I just dont trust Jags anymore, Mori is a big question mark still at this level, Browning and Pennington dont look up this level and Keane is too easily exposed to play expansive football. We need at least 1 first choice CB to come in. We have a few youngsters to fill the places of Browning and Pennington so I'm not worried about cover.

Centre mid is difficult and I am going to include both AM & CM options in this. Besic and Tarashaj should definitely go. The two young lads are an unknown at the moment, Beni has done well but he is likely to either go on loan or play a back up role, like Dowell. I find it hard to be confident about who I want to stay. Rooney will obviously be about for the next couple of years but he isnt an answer to any question. McCarthy would be my first choice but its about fitness with him. I would see how fit he stays until the end of the season and go from there. If he is out long term then as much as I want him in the side, we need someone we can rely on. Davies is well and truly on my list of players to keep but I wouldnt lose any sleep if we got rid of Schneiderlin, Gana, Klaasen or Siggy. If you wanted to play a high press, aggressive side you need mobile and intelligent players. Klaasen is mobile and intelligent but doesnt seem to get the physicality of the league whereas the other 3 are either one of the other and not both. Siggy wont go anywhere and he is probably the best suited of the three to play in a high energy structure. On the basis that we would have McCarthy, Davies, Siggy and Rooney, we need to bring in two physical midfielders and phase out the rest.

The wide players are another pain in the arse. I would be inclined to give Lennon another year. We have needed him this season and he has come in and done well. Mirallas will go, Bolasie can follow him out. I guess you could keep Bolasie and let Lennon go but I would rather release the fee/wages of Bolasie. Lookman needs to play football so will need to go on loan as I dont think he is ready. Vlasic is ready and should be starting. Onyekuru is a complete unknown but considering his injury and WP issues, I wouldnt consider him an option at this stage. I would therefore say that Vlasic is the only capable starting wide player we have. We need 2 first team quality signings. Richarlison and Zaha please.

Up front is pretty simple. Sell Niasse and Sandro, keep Tosun and DCL. They are both target man, strong CF types so we need someone with a bit more trickery and pace who can also play wide if needs be.

I am not advocating that this should be a sell everyone and bring in the rest but we do need to start making changes with every window that passes.

Think Sandro can fill that CF/winger rickery role. If not, Onyekuru. Otherwise spot on.

13 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

Think Sandro can fill that CF/winger rickery role. If not, Onyekuru. Otherwise spot on.

I was thinking that as I wrote it. When I saw him play for Spain U21s I did think he would be that pest of a striker but he isn't t robust enough against big PL CBs so maybe that should be his role. 

I haven't seen enough of him in an Everton shirt to know if he is good enough at this level but I have seen glimpses where I think that he is. 

What we need are some calm, rational heads from the stands to the boardroom.

We need everyone to calm down.

We need a sense of reality.

We need some patience.

More so...we need a bloody plan.

What we don't need is more wholesale changes. Invest more in a few rather than less in many.