IGNORED

Europa or not

Sorry to start a new thread, this question was sprinkled into a few other threads but couldn't find a logical place to weave this in. 

Took a look at PL clubs who qualified for Europa League (current format started in 09-10) in lowest qualifying round:

09-10 Liverpool 7th - finished 6th in 10-11

10-11 Stoke 14th* - finished 13th in 11-12

11-12 Liverpool 7th - finished 8th in 12-13

12-13 Swansea 12th* - finished 9th in 13-14

13-14 Hull 16th* - finished relegated in 14-15

14-15 Southampton 7th - finished 6th in 15-16

15-16 West Ham 7th - finished 11th in 16-17

16-17 Everton 7th - finished 8th in 17-18

17-18 Burnely 7th - finished between 13th and 16th this year.

*There were a few odd years, mostly due to FA/Carabao cup performances and fair play, where teams that didn't finish 7th still qualified for Europa. 

FWIW we have competed in the Europa League three times (09/10, 14/15, 17/18) we have finished 8th, 11th, 8th in the PL table those years. 

The stats above are just for reference, normally I'd say absolutely want Europa but I just have a feeling this year isn'tt one where it would help us. We've got a real opportunity next year to strengthen in 2-3 areas, shrink the squad, be consistent and cohesive and make a run at 4th. Europa could derail most of that. I'm in the camp with those who prefer 8th.  

57 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

it's out of our hands now.  We would need to beat Burnley and Spurs and Wolves would need to lose to Fulham (not likely) and Liverpool (none of us want that result).  If Wolves beat Fulham we are out.  I'm with you i will enjoy focusing on the league and domestic cups and getting rid of the bad/expensive players.

Speak for yourself (repeating myself again) I want Liverpool to win their last two, as long as City do too because it'd then be us who took the title from them. They came to Goodison with their fate in their own hands and when they left it was in City's. I wouldn't moan if they screwed up again (unlikely) but if it plays out as seems likely I'll be very happy.

39 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We'll be saying it next year too after our fans have willed us to finish 8th when 4th is realised to be a fucking pipe dream because we're not ready.

So damn right. We're no where near close to challenging for top 4  

On 04/05/2019 at 18:38, Romey 1878 said:

We'll be saying it next year too after our fans have willed us to finish 8th when 4th is realised to be a fucking pipe dream because we're not ready.

It absolutely baffles me that we have any fans that think this way. I want Us to be a successful as possible and that means Europe and going as far as we can in both cups.